Thread: which DI box for myers pickup

Default which DI box for myers pickup

Hi, I have ordered a myers 'feather' pickup for my mandolin. I play at a session where i usually have a mic and it an all the guitars are plugged into a desk. I dont know anything about electrical gear but i expect i will need a di box. Does it need to be an active or passive box for this mic type pickup? Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: which DI box for myers pickup

None.

It is not a pickup (despite the misleading label). It is a small microphone.

That company has what must be one of the most horrible and unprofessional websites of any audio manufacturer I have ever seen.... stuffed full of hard-sell sales blub and endorsements and almost nothing at all covering use or specifications. So, I am not surprised you are confused as you will seek in vain for any practical information as to how to use the thing. They certainly seem keen to sell them - much less keen to tell you anything useful about them.

They have been discussed before, and this very same question asked...

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...4-Myers-Pickup

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ith-Sound-Clip

It actually outputs an UNBALANCED signal on a 1/4 jack. However (yet again) no info from Myers on what the level is, leaving you in the dark as to selecting a suitable interface to a PA system. Since it is actually a generic omnidirectional electret element into a small FET buffer preamp (with vol control), you can assume the level is higher than a dynamic mic... but (given the battery used) much less than line level. How much less is anyone's guess. I'd also guess that applying +48v phantom to them would fry them (but again Myers don't seem to think this is important). Be very careful what you do plug them into.

You would get sound out through a DI box... but the impedance may well be mismatched.

You might care to contact Myers and ask for some actual specifications, as that would help a lot. i.e:

1) Output level in millivolts
    2) Optimal input impedance

For anyone thinking about these, I would recommend thinking twice. If you want a pickup - look at the K&K's. Easy to use and very reliable. If you want a clip on microphone, look at the AT PRO 35 (which is very well respected and interfaces with no fuss to just about any live sound system). It also has vastly superior feedback rejection over an omni microphone. If you want the very best, then look at the DPA4099 or ATM350.
    Last edited by almeriastrings; Sep-03-2016 at 7:04am.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

3. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

gtani7 

Thanks for that, not what i was hoping to hear! I just want to plug in and play and sound nice. Ive emailed myers as suggested. Ill let you know what i find out.

Blog Entries

To clarify that... most mixers have XLR sockets for microphones.. these are balanced and may have global phantom power.... any 1/4" jack sockets they have will normally be line level TRS (balanced). They simply are not geared at all towards plugging in unbalanced sources.

You can convert an unbalanced source to balanced using a transformer - but - you need to know the levels/voltages involved or you could overload it (causing distortion) or be left with not enough volume. That's why the output specs are essential info.

With some devices you can do it by simply wiring two pins of an XLR instead of three... but.... this has dangers, as if phantom power is applied (either deliberately or accidentally) you are likely to fry whatever is connected....

A transformer is essential, really, because it would isolate that 1/4" jack from any +48v phantom - the question is which transformer. Without this manufacturer providing meaningful numbers (voltages and impedance) that is frankly impossible to determine. That's the problem. I have no idea at all why they don't do this. It is vital information and it should be there. Any sound engineer you ask to plug these things in will want to know this. They will not be happy if they have to wade through pages of sales talk and still cannot get answers.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

6. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Nevin 

Direct Input.. steps Down an input like an electric guitar to be like a Mic Output.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

OK... I asked a friend who I knew has encountered one of these and he reported he was able to get it connected running through one of these little passive DI boxes:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Zdirect

This will also protect the Myers in the event phantom power is applied to the channel you are using.

It is not an absolutely ideal solution, because really, you should not need a DI box to run a microphone into a PA! It does work, however.

This would also get the job done...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DBBLOX
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Thanks Almeriastrings for the time you've given this topic, i appreciate the help. What are the essential points i need to establish from myers in relation to correctly connecting the mic to a desk? Ill email them but i dont know exactly what to ask

Blog Entries

Ideally:

1) Peak output level in millivolts
    2) Recommended impedance of input
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

. The output impedance is 2.2K ohms. The output voltage is 2-10v.

If it works out with the passive di box ill be happy enough. They also said it should work fine plugged straight into xlr. Ill let you know how it goes when it arrives

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brianneilan View Post
    . The output impedance is 2.2K ohms. The output voltage is 2-10v.

If it works out with the passive di box ill be happy enough. They also said it should work fine plugged straight into xlr. Ill let you know how it goes when it arrives
    I have to say those figures sound really suspect 2- 10 Volts? - I am wondering if the stated figure was actually -10dBV (consumer line level). Also.... if you plug a a two-wire, unbalanced mic into an XLR you immediately hit problems, the "big one" being if someone turns on the phantom power (to say run an active DI box or condenser mic on another channel and the mixer only has 'global' phantom as many lower cost units do) then you WILL fry your equipment, not only the Myers, but possibly it might take the desk with it......

I think I'll contact them myself as these questions keep on coming up, and I have a few other ones I'd like to ask...
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Got a passive di box and leads so hopefully ill see how it works out tuesday night at a noisey bar session. Also got some siminof straight up strings put on tonight.. really like them, to me there seems to be better volume than heavier gauge d'addarios and a nicer feel on g and d strings.
    Last edited by brianneilan; Sep-10-2016 at 5:39pm. Reason: mis spelling

Blog Entries

Worth noting we did establish that:

1) The Myers puts out an unbalanced signal in the 6.3mV range
    2) To connect to a regular PA desk use a balancing transformer or passive DI box
    3) Using a simple TS jack to XLR cable is not safe if phantom power is turned on.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Used the myers 'feather' last night at my local music session of irish trad, country and my version of a few bluegrass tunes. there were drums, 3 guitars, tin whistle, button accordian and even a bit of saxaphone. Connected it to a €40 passive di box and into xlr mic socket on the PA. Had the mic positioned right next the oval soundhole on my mandolin under the strings. Im not qualified to give a professional opinion but the feather did the job. No problem with volume, i had no feedback or buzzing. Loads of compliments about the natural sound. Another mandolin player who uses an audio technica mic was surprised at the sound versus price. He was also expecting me to have feedback problems but he couldnt fault it. So thats my opinion, it certainly meets my expectations. Would like to have known in advance that a di box was recommended, just for bugeting, but im happy

Blog Entries

I have found the LR Baggs DI to have the best EQ controls and authentic acoustic tone for guitar or mandolin, with which I have used both and run direct into the church PA system.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Blog Entries

To repeat.. the Myers is not a pickup. It is a mini microphone. It does not need the heavy EQ demanded by piezo transducers and it also has different impedance/input requirements than a piezo transducer.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

I just had the same issue. i bought the myers pickup based upon the amazon recommendation for my violin. no spec's on website or in package. Should have know it was a mono pickup. i was using a stereo 1/4 jack. want to connect to my audio analog channel on my Yamaha A/V A720 input which is RCA r/l. will this work? The stereo jack doesn't work.

isaac fajerman
    732 756 0295

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    None.

It is not a pickup (despite the misleading label). It is a small microphone.

That company has what must be one of the most horrible and unprofessional websites of any audio manufacturer I have ever seen.... stuffed full of hard-sell sales blub and endorsements and almost nothing at all covering use or specifications. So, I am not surprised you are confused as you will seek in vain for any practical information as to how to use the thing. They certainly seem keen to sell them - much less keen to tell you anything useful about them.

They have been discussed before, and this very same question asked...

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...4-Myers-Pickup

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ith-Sound-Clip

It actually outputs an UNBALANCED signal on a 1/4 jack. However (yet again) no info from Myers on what the level is, leaving you in the dark as to selecting a suitable interface to a PA system. Since it is actually a generic omnidirectional electret element into a small FET buffer preamp (with vol control), you can assume the level is higher than a dynamic mic... but (given the battery used) much less than line level. How much less is anyone's guess. I'd also guess that applying +48v phantom to them would fry them (but again Myers don't seem to think this is important). Be very careful what you do plug them into.

You would get sound out through a DI box... but the impedance may well be mismatched.

You might care to contact Myers and ask for some actual specifications, as that would help a lot. i.e:

1) Output level in millivolts
    2) Optimal input impedance

For anyone thinking about these, I would recommend thinking twice. If you want a pickup - look at the K&K's. Easy to use and very reliable. If you want a clip on microphone, look at the AT PRO 35 (which is very well respected and interfaces with no fuss to just about any live sound system). It also has vastly superior feedback rejection over an omni microphone. If you want the very best, then look at the DPA4099 or ATM350.

Quote Originally Posted by ifajerman View Post
    I just had the same issue. i bought the myers pickup based upon the amazon recommendation for my violin. no spec's on website or in package. Should have know it was a mono pickup. i was using a stereo 1/4 jack. want to connect to my audio analog channel on my Yamaha A/V A720 input which is RCA r/l. will this work? The stereo jack doesn't work.

isaac fajerman
    732 756 0295
    Read the manual (Link to a PDF of same?) and state the input and output values?

Mic, hi Z Lo-Z Line (600 ohms or what?), and such are not that much Info
    Only offering kind of plug /jack is a bit of a guessing game..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Hello Isaac,

Doesn't Amazon have a good return policy?
    It doesn't work for you? My suggestion is you return it for a refund.
    After that ignore the Amazon reviews. Come back and ask for advice
    about choosing a pickup.

I also suggest you remove your telephone number from your signature.
    Thanks,
    sounds_good

Anything that will give you 20+dB clean line level boost will improve the amplified sound