Thread: Jordan Ramsey's Mandolin Nightmares UK edition

Default Jordan Ramsey's Mandolin Nightmares UK edition

Hey All,

I'll be coming back to England this October and would love to connect with some Cafe folks while I'm there. Met Paul Cowham two years ago, always great to put faces with avatars and make some musical connections. On tour 10/7 through 10/23 (itinerary below), flying home on 11/7. Tentatively staying in Bristol on holiday for the last two weeks (have a friend to crash with there), but would love to do a bit of traveling around depending on public transportation and happenings (definitely want to make it to TAMCO). Let me know if you're around and would like to connect, more info on the shows at the "Ragged Union" link in my signature.

Oct 07 BBC Radio London World on 3 London
    Oct 08 The Vale Mossley
    Oct 09 Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Liverpool
    Oct 10 The Bell Inn Bath
    Oct 11 Conservative Club Frodsham
    Oct 12 Queen's Hall Arts Centre Hexham
    Oct 14 The Dance Easy Club Folkestone
    Oct 15 Theatre Brixham
    Oct 16 Lancaster Castle Lancaster
    Oct 18 The Crooked Billet Henley On Thames
    Oct 19 Green Note London
    Oct 20 Tamworth Bluegrass at Bolehall Manor Club Tamworth
    Oct 21 The Coach House @ Craigdarroch Arms Hotel Thornhill
    Oct 22 Seven Arts Leeds CIC Leeds
    Oct 23 Musicport World Music Festival Whitby
    2016 Ellis F5
    2007 Gibson Sam Bush
    1924 Gibson A Jr.
    1913 R. Calace Brevettato 900
    Espresso
    Youtube

Default Re: Jordan Ramsey's Mandolin Nightmares UK edition

Hi Jordan,

Two gigs close to where I live -- Liverpool and Frodsham, each about 25 miles from my home. Liverpool would be easier on a weekday, as I work there, but a Sunday gig is difficult for me. The Music Room at the Philharmonic is a great venue, though -- Andy Irvine plays the week before you! I'm a bit confused about the Frodsham gig, as the Conservative Club homepage says that their function room is closed for repairs from 1 to 25 October. Do you have a promoter's website for tickets and details?

Your itinerary looks like hard work: Liverpool and Frodsham are close to each other, although Bath in between will be three hours each way. That's OK, but the next five dates are Hexham, Folkestone, Brixham, Lancaster and Henley which are about as scattered as you can get and still stay in England: Northumberland, Kent, Devon, Lancashire and Berkshire!

I presume your Calace preludes won't quite fit the Ragged Union format ...

Martin

PS: Bristol have their own band called "Ragged Union" -- they're playing a gig on 30 October while you're in town.
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; Sep-10-2016 at 9:05pm.

3. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Hey, send pix if you two vatos hook up.....

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

5. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Hi Martin,

Thanks for reaching out, I'd love to connect with you while I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    I'm a bit confused about the Frodsham gig, as the Conservative Club homepage says that their function room is closed for repairs from 1 to 25 October. Do you have a promoter's website for tickets and details?
    Just got confirmation today, you are correct, the Conservative Club will be closed on October 11th. The show has been moved to:

Manley Mere:
    https://www.manleymere.co.uk/index.shtml

Your itinerary looks like hard work: Liverpool and Frodsham are close to each other, although Bath in between will be three hours each way. That's OK, but the next five dates are Hexham, Folkestone, Brixham, Lancaster and Henley which are about as scattered as you can get and still stay in England: Northumberland, Kent, Devon, Lancashire and Berkshire!
    Yeah, some long drives, although comparatively easy. We've had some 18 - 20 hour straight van rides here in the States. Even going to Telluride (in our home state of Colorado) takes roughly 7 hours. Even though the routing isn't ideal, glad to be working solid most of the trip.

I presume your Calace preludes won't quite fit the Ragged Union format ...
    Unfortunately, no. Would love to bring the Calace just to show it off, but I'm hesitant to travel with two mandolins abroad (especially without having a flight case for the old girl). The F5 will have to suffice.

Hope to see you next month!
    2016 Ellis F5
    2007 Gibson Sam Bush
    1924 Gibson A Jr.
    Espresso
    Youtube

Probably fodder for another thread but I'll ask anyway. I see you have the new Ellis F-5 listed now alongside your excellent Sam Bush. Is it too early to ask for your impressions of the Ellis?

Len B.
    Clearwater, F

Hey Len,

There's a video here from when I first got it home, with probably less than 5 hours of playing time on it.

Now it has around 30 - 40 hours and a couple of gigs under it's belt. I can hear it changing on almost a daily basis. Focused, powerful, and clear. When I first got it, the action was pretty high (it was super humid in Winfield). I immediately lowered it a little bit there. Brought it home to dry Colorado and it sunk back down, just raised it up back up a few days ago and... POW! The volume just took off. This thing has bass to spare, and the E is starting to coming to life with settled strings and a little higher action. I'm honored to own it, I can absolutely see this as a lifetime mandolin. It's certainly going to be a game changer for me, tonally.

Heading to the UK a week from today, I'll be bringing the Ellis with me. Look forward to showing it off and meeting some mandolinists while I'm over there.

Martin, I'll be without phone service, but I'll be able to get email whenever there's wifi: mandolinjordan at gmail. I now have a place to crash in Leeds after tour's over, will probably go there before Bristol. Would love to get together and read some duets / chat mandolins. Don't mind to hop an early train for a day trip down your way.

Anyone else in these areas, feel free to email me. I'll definitely be looking for fun jams/musically social situations, especially for those last two holiday weeks.

Cheers,
    2016 Ellis F5
    2007 Gibson Sam Bush
    1924 Gibson A Jr.
    Espresso
    Youtube

9. The following members say thank you to Jordan Ramsey for this post:

lenf12 

My guitar and mandolin were a full step flat after sitting at home a couple of days after Winfield.
    Having the good fortune of hearing you play it for the first few hours after you won it, I can't wait to hear it after it settles in. But get ready to go sharp again when you get to the UK.

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

Blog Entries

I completely missed this thread before, I'll aim for The Green Note on 19th as I'll be up in London for work that week.
    Not sure how your itineary fits but I'm at home in Cornwall 24-29 & there's a spare room available if you think a sortie this far south is viable. (Bristol 3hrs)
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

13. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Hi Jordan,
    I have tickets for your Leeds show October 22 and will try to catch one other if possible. I live near Leeds and can offer a welcome at least one predominantly Irish weekly session if that is of interest. Also maybe other mandolin players in Leeds could be interested in finding a venue for an informal jam if they read this (I don't know the venues in the city itself)? I can offer lifts in my car to jams if that helps. I will speak to you on October 22 at latest.
    Cheers, Kevin
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

15. The following members say thank you to Anglocelt for this post: