Thread: Nickle Strings

Default Nickle Strings

I've heard/read some threads on here saying things about all nickle strings. Rumors were that Martin was coming out with some, though I believe those were only rumors? are there other all nickle string manufacturers/lines out there? I've not dabbled in this tonal realm yet and am very interested and would love to try them out.
    Next question...same question rather, different instrument, what about for guitars?
    Andy McAllister

'08 Michael Kelly Legacy Elegante'
    '09 Epiphone EJ 200-CE

Default Re: Nickle Strings

For guitars, the Martin Tony Rice Monels. Very good!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

3. The following members say thank you to Pete Martin for this post:

I have been using Classic Ernie Ball RocknRoll regular slinky "Pure Nickel Wrap" strings on my electric guitars and they are very good with big sound and accurate harmonics. A friend recommended them.

I prefer bronze wraps on acoustic instruments. I am currently trying out "D R Rare mandolin strings" and so far not much liking them. I'm not sure why but they go in and out of tune up the fingerboard and it's not possible to get the pairs tuned the same.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

GHS is prototyping some mandolin pure nickel. I have had two different gauges on a couple of mandolins and really like them. They have a very nice dry sound and are very warm, hard to explain, loudness is normal but the attack sounds softer. The plain strings are normal, so we are only talking about the wound strings. Not sure when they will be on the market, but I will definitely post when they become available.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Some discussion on these recent threads:

Martin Retro mandolin strings

Monel mandolin strings
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

D'Adarrio is definitely bringing out their NB (Nickel/Bronze) strings for mandolin. Probably at Winter NAMM, but maybe IBMA (if they're smart).

I posted on the other thread...what will be the difference between Martin Retro mandolin and the old GHS Sam Bush strings?

Thanks for all of the feedback! So another question, what is the difference between nickle wound versus ALL nickle (core and wound)? I understand that the core would obviously not be nickle, but when referring to nickle strings, is it understood that we are talking about nickle would or complete nickle? do they even make %100 nickle strings?
    I apologize if this is in the previous threads that Jim posted, I will read those when I have more time to more thoroughly peruse...just questions for sake of conversation on this thread
    Andy McAllister

'08 Michael Kelly Legacy Elegante'
    '09 Epiphone EJ 200-CE

NewTone nickel wound on my Hodson D'jangolin have been fine for a long time .

the loop forming on the plain ones reminds me of why old gibson t p have 12 hooks ,

I changed those..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have really been enjoying Monel alloy which (courtesy of WikiPedia) is "a group of nickel alloys, primarily composed of nickel (up to 67%) and copper, with small amounts of iron, manganese, carbon, and silicon."

So these Monel strings like Martin Retro and Gibson (not GHS) Sam Bush strings are not pure-nickel wound. As pops1 notes above, GHS is prototyping an all-nickel wrap that he likes.

I have been switching from PB strings to Sam Bush strings on my main mandolins and have been liking them a lot especially on my Flatiron A5-2 and my 23 Gibson A2 snakehead.

I am also waiting to get some of those beta nickel-bronze strings from D'Addario to test. I guess these are like regular PB strinfs but with a higher addition of nickel (I guess). According to wikipedia: "Bronze is an alloy consisting primarily of copper, commonly with about 12% tin and often with the addition of other metals (such as aluminium, manganese, nickel or zinc) and sometimes non-metals or metalloids such as arsenic, phosphorus or silicon." I have heard that these strings which D'Addario has been selling already for guitar have a slightly sweeter tone than the purer nickel-wound strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    I posted on the other thread...what will be the difference between Martin Retro mandolin and the old GHS Sam Bush strings?
    I don't really know what Martin has planned for these strings. I don't think they are making these anytime soon. I would guess that they would use the same alloy composition that they use for their guitar strings and prob would have different gauges from the Gibson Sam Bush strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

what is the difference between nickle wound versus ALL nickle
    Some Nickel strings have nickel plated steel windings. "Pure Nickel" or "100% Nickel" strings have windings of solid nickel, not plated steel. The core wire is always carbon-steel music wire. Nickel plated steel strings don't last as long but have a brighter, hotter sound with magnetic pickups.

Steve

If I remember correctly, the GHS strings are going to be the same as their Nickel guitar strings, but loop end. The .040 for the G string that I have now they made with a slightly smaller core as I was using their White Bronze and the core on the .042 is .003 smaller than the core on the .040 phosphor bronze. The main differences I am noticing with these strings is a very natural sound that is very soft in the attack. I don't mean soft as in not loud, but not a harsh sound when you first strike the string. It is a very warm soft attack with plenty of volume and sustain. Others have noticed when I play so it is not just me. Hard to explain, but I notice the difference between the white bronze on my other mandolin and the nickel on my main mandolin. Could be the difference of mandolins, but I don't think so. Jim says he likes the Monel on his A2 and these are really nice on my A2 also. Mine is not tubby, but with these strings it is nice and deep, but clean solid. I would love to do a side by side with the monels, I wonder how the copper changes the sound.

Don from D'Addario here - our Nickel Bronze Mandolin strings have our NY Steel Plain Steels and cores for the wound strings, which is a music wire our own wire mill developed (we're the only string manufacturer that also has it's own wire mill). This is a big bonus for tuning stability. The Wrap Wire is a Nickel Plated Phosphor Bronze, which has a character unto itself. Hopefully that clarifies that a bit.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddawson2010 For This Useful Post:

Just talked to GHS and the nickel they are using is the most pure nickel available at (if I remember correctly) 99.6%. They are not sure of a time frame to be available to the public, but are thinking by NAMM also.

We are fortunate at this time to have the choice of such a variety of string gauges and materials to have the sound we prefer with our instruments. Guitar players have had this for decades and now more varieties are coming to us mandolin players thanks to companies like GHS and D'Addario.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mcgroup53 View Post
    D'Adarrio is definitely bringing out their NB (Nickel/Bronze) strings for mandolin. Probably at Winter NAMM, but maybe IBMA (if they're smart).
    This is good news! I have been really liking the Nickel Bronze strings on my guitars, and would be first in line to try them on the mandolin.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

21. The following members say thank you to Rick Jones for this post: