Thread: Dwight Yoakum covers Purple Rain

Blog Entries

Default Dwight Yoakum covers Purple Rain

I'll just leave this right here. There's a hint of mandolin content.

I like the cover alright. Not as much as I liked his cover of Truckin on Deadicated but still listenable,

I'll try and stop the nonsense before it starts. The article from People calls it a Bluegrass spin. We all know that ain't the case so lets leave that be, or just write people a letter to the editor.

Link to Purple Rain by Dwight Yokum.

Kurt Vonnegut had a great quote about People Magazine in a novel (God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater, I think...).
    Last edited by JEStanek; Sep-15-2016 at 1:19pm. Reason: Yoakum
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Dwight Yokum covers Purple Rain

I like it! And it's Yoakam.

4. The following members say thank you to GDAE for this post:

Caleb 

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dwight Yoakum covers Purple Rain

Fixed
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    I'll try and stop the nonsense before it starts. The article from People calls it a Bluegrass spin. We all know that ain't the case so lets leave that be, or just write people a letter to the editor.
    I predict there's going to be a lot of popped veins and spilled e-ink from the genre police here at the Cafe in the near future because of how this album is being marketed. Here's the lede from today's NPR article where you can listen to the entirety of the album in advance of it's release:

On the 30th anniversary of his debut, the country star releases his first-ever bluegrass album...

I'm withholding judgement for now because I won't be able to give it a listen until later but Adam Steffey is listed as the band's mando player so you're in the clear regarding there being relevant content to post about it.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Nothing to say here about Bluegrass or not, but it does seem to me that there's a fine line between dedicating a cover version as a heartfelt memorial, vs. jumping on a bandwagon for commercial gain. For me, this crosses that line.

I know there have been a bunch of other memorial tributes by other artists following Prince's death, and I'm sure some of them made money. But at least the ones I recall were closer in musical genre, and many were by actual friends and associates. Yoakum never even met the guy, and I doubt there's a hint of any actual Prince influence in his music. This just sounds and feels so disconnected that it screams commercialization to me. Just my opinion.

At least a few bucks from the mechanical rights will go to Prince's estate, so there's that.

It's more Americana than trad Bluegrass, but it is fun stuff. Loved Purple Rain!

I'm pretty sure that most folks onhere know about them,but the ''Pickin' On'' series of CD's has been terrific. Different Bluegrass bands performing 'cover versions' of pop songs in a Bluegrass style,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Sweet. Not my cup of tea, but I love how Mr. Yoakum was moved by this song and wanted to share his version. I love it when an artist from one genre embraces the music from another, very different, genre.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo