Thread: BR-40 T vs. Kala Tenor Guiitar

Default BR-40 T vs. Kala Tenor Guiitar

If you are in the market for a new tenor guitar and cosider one of them both, but aren't sure which one, I recommend the following:
    Make it dependable on what you want to use it for:
    -if ringring open chords are what you predominantly want to play,get the Blueridge.
    It really shines when played strumming chords, like this:

If single note stuff, like for example those nice Will Fly tabs are your goal, get the Kala.
    It has a shorter scale length and a somewhat thicker and more flexible tone for single string melodies, like this:

I like both of my tenor guitars, but I guess, if I could only keep one, it would be the Kala, since I use it mostly for single string playing.

Edit: All I said applies to CGDA tuning only. For GDAE tuning, maybe the better bass response of the Blueridge is an advantage, even for single note playing.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crisscross For This Useful Post:

ARKCharles E.fox 

Default Re: BR-40 T vs. Kala Tenor Guiitar

I've owned both. For CGDA it depends on what sound you like, so I agree. I thought the Kala had a beautiful, shimmering tone, while the Blueridge was louder and more powerful. Both sounded really good in this tuning.

For GDAE I'd get the Blueridge. The Kala can handle it, but the Blueridge flat out sounds better in GDAE, in my opinion.

Default Re: BR-40 T vs. Kala Tenor Guiitar

I have owned both. I kept the Kala and sold the blueridge. I play in DGBE. I agree that the Kala shines in single note playing. The blueridge seemed to be braced a bit too heavy and was less responsive.