Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Cal/Inland Empire/San Diego Mandolin Dealers? Buffalo Bros?

Blog Entries

Thumbs up So Cal/Inland Empire/San Diego Mandolin Dealers? Buffalo Bros?

My understanding is that the Buffalo Brothers in Carlsbad changed ownership in 2013. Previous to that they had carried mandolins. I personally cannot attest to that, but I am now looking for a place where you can actually play mandolins before purchase.

Are the Buffalo Bros Stores -- North and South-- stocking mandolins and what brands, numbers of instruments, etc.? Any other mandolin stores that don't sell only a few of the affordable mandolins?

The only source in this region that I am able to find are those who carry only a couple of the entry level brands. I would like US built options such as Collings, Pava, Weber and others. We live in the Inland Empire of So Cal. Thanks for your help!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Default Re: So Cal/Inland Empire/San Diego Mandolin Dealers? Buffalo Bro

Pretty sure Buffalo Brothers is no longer around (both locations)....

3. The following members say thank you to djweiss for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Hey Dan!

Buffalo Bros. went out of business 2 years ago....slim pickens in SoCal for mando tasting....gotta venture up to NoCal

There's Boulevard Music and MCabe's in the LA area, and inventory is pretty limited at those 2 places as well as Norman's Rare Guitars in the Valley....good hunting Brotha!
    Last edited by DataNick; Sep-16-2016 at 6:13pm.
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure what McCabes and Boulevard have nowadays, but when I dropped in there 4-5 years ago, they only had Kentucky, Eastman and The Loar. I don't recall any Weber or other US made models.

I think Gryphon Strings up in Palo Alto and Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz may be your best bet. They are well worth the drive up.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clement Barrera-Ng For This Useful Post:

ahem!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Sheehy For This Useful Post:

How could we forget Eddie...LOL! Give Eddie a call Dan!

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

11. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

McCabes in Santa Monica has the most mandolins I have seen in LA. Mostly Kentucky or Eastman, but the always have a small selection of better instruments like Collings or Weber. They had some beautiful Collings A Styles, F and O, the last time I was there. They have an old Gibson or two usually. It is a good place to go anyway because Santa Monica is beautiful and they have a great selection of other instruments to check out.
    http://store.mccabes.com/home.php?cat=261

There is also Norms Rare Guitars in the Valley. They are not a very perky or friendly bunch in there, but it has an astounding selection of guitars etc. They have a small selection of mandolins, but it usually includes a group of old Gibson Af and AO models. Then they will have an old martin or two. They do sometimes have a higher end Gibsons F-Style or two, but they are usually in a counter, or in the back. I think they actually have a Lloyd Loar, as I have seen video of it being played there, but don't know if it is there now.
    http://www.normansrareguitars.com/mandolins

There is also The Fretted Frog in Pasadena. They had a great Weber Gallatin F and a Weber BitterRoot when I was there, but the rest were Kentucky and Eastman. Really nice little store, beautiful guitars, some decent mandolins.
    http://www.thefrettedfrog.com/mandolin

There is also Boulevard music in Culver City, but I have never been there. I have been told they usually have a selection of Gibsons etc. http://www.boulevardmusic.com

As for the Bay area, Schoenberg has a nice selection of vintage mandolins, especially A style.
    http://www.om28.com/CategorySearch?id=PC-02-04.

For more modern mandolins, Gryphon in Palo Alto has a pretty good selection.
    When I was there they had about 4 Collings A & F, a Lebada, Weber, and a few Northfields.
    You can see what they have on their website. www.Gryphonstrings.com
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

13. The following members say thank you to CWRoyds for this post:

Blog Entries

My Friends! Thank you fellow MC'ers! I am shocked to learn that there isn't much available South of Riverside toward San Diego! Then, the Pasadena store "The Fretted Frog" is promising for the chance to see and play a Weber, which is in my under $2,000 range. McCabes sounds good and I spent time there as a young guitarist over 40 years at the Long Beach store. Also, Blvd. Music is close enough and my son lives near there. I hope to play Collings and Pava, if possible. Thanks for the help! Dan
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Well Dan if you can't find a Pava, and happen to be in San Diego, you are welcome to try mine

16. The following members say thank you to Clement Barrera-Ng for this post:

Blog Entries

Thanks Clement! How very generous of you! Dan
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Blog Entries

It is worth mentioning, many of us shed tears when Buffalo Brothers closed. In my opinion it was the best brick and mortar source within any reasonable distance of the Inland Empire.

We bought a couple of very nice guitars from there. I bought my mando's tone guard and armrest from there. We bought a number of valued accessories from there.

We miss them.

-- Don

P.S. Love the rooster!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    It is worth mentioning, many of us shed tears when Buffalo Brothers closed. In my opinion it was the best brick and mortar source within any reasonable distance of the Inland Empire.

We bought a couple of very nice guitars from there. I bought my mando's tone guard and armrest from there. We bought a number of valued accessories from there.

We miss them.

-- Don

P.S. Love the rooster!
    Yeah Don, That rooster was something to behold. I am going with my wife to the Folk Music Center in Claremont, CA Tuesday. I don't know if they get beyond the high end import Mandolins or not. I have heard good things about their store and museum. Anyone else been there?
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Blog Entries

I've been there a few times. When I was there they had some nicer mandos and other instruments, including some nice older instruments, but not real high end. They also have had a regularly scheduled open mic there, I think selected Saturday nights.

I wouldn't really compare them to the old Buffalo Brothers, but it's probably the best you can find near the Inland Empire now, without driving to Santa Monica or to Palo Alto.

The Folk Music Center is a very interesting store for the variety of items they carry, almost like a museum. I hope you have a great visit there.

If you like Greek food, there's a wonderful restaurant a block or so up the street, on the same side of the street. They had a very ornate bouzouki hanging on the wall when we were there!

-- Don

22. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Blog Entries

Hi Don, It does sound like a nice day and there are some things to do in addition to the specific mandolin shopping. I am glad to have your input, having been there and experienced it. The Greek food sounds interesting, though I am a bit simple in my tastes. We understand that there is an Amoeba Record store in the little "village" there. That should be interesting. There may be a good selection of bluegrass and blues CD's. Thanks for the information, Don! Cheers, Dan
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    We understand that there is an Amoeba Record store in the little "village" there. That should be interesting. There may be a good selection of bluegrass and blues CD's.
    I believe you are thinking of Rhino Records. There are only 3 Amoeba locations, Berkeley, San Francisco. and Hollywood.

25. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

So where in Cali is Sylvan Music? I've been viewing some mandolins on their website lately. Any experience with this shop??

27. The following members say thank you to Al Trujillo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Trujillo View Post
    So where in Cali is Sylvan Music? I've been viewing some mandolins on their website lately. Any experience with this shop??
    Al - Sylvan is in Santa Cruz in Northern California, just about a half hour from San Jose. I have not purchased a mandolin from them before but I did visit their store on multiple occasions and the staff was very friendly and welcoming; they just left me alone to play anything I wanted. On the other hand, I do remember they charge a restocking fee on all returns, so keep that in mind.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clement Barrera-Ng For This Useful Post:

I'm up for hosting a mando-tasting for so. Cal. Clement has a couple, I have a few, Mary Jane has a Doyle Lawson, Nick has a Flatiron, Shaun has a a few, Steve Sorensen might bring a sample or two. More for sampling and pickin' than buying on the spot, but a good opportunity to see what's out there and maybe make a few friends...

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Sheehy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Hi Eddie, You have tempted me to be sure! Today we played some vintage stuff at the Folk Music Center 1/2 hour away in Claremont. I will keep these generous offers you have made to play your instruments in mind, friend! What do you and Datanick think about a Flatiron from the Derrington Era in Nashville? Do you think it stands up to a Collings or Pava in tone and build quality? Playability factors that a friend shared with me are probably an issue. Thanks again, Eddie!
    2014 BRW F5 #114

Dan,

Different voicing qualities on the Nashville Flat vs Collings/Pava; just a matter of taste/preference there, not better or worse.

Frankly Collings can't be beat on fit/finish and Pava is right there...not so on the Flatiron made by Gibson...YMMV

34. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Blog Entries

Okay, Nick. I get it. That Flatiron was a beautiful example (found online elsewhere), but there are nuances that define each maker uniquely from the others. The Flatiron from this era is made exactly like the Derringer era Gibson A5's if I understand correctly, but the fit and finish may not match the Collings and Pava's of today.

P.S. I had to look up the meaning of YMMV-- I get it. "Your Mileage May Vary" can be interpreted "not everyone gets the same result or gathers the same view." I admit I didn't know this acronym...
    2014 BRW F5 #114

36. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

A +1 for having a Mando-Tasting in SoCal/SD Area.

38. The following members say thank you to Patrick Gates for this post:

Blog Entries

Hi Patrick Gates, Sounds like a great chance to get in a SoCal jam session, as well! Dan
    2014 BRW F5 #114

I'm in SD these days and always have some nice stuff to taste.

I'm game.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com