Thread: Hard shell bowlback case

Where should I look to find a hard shell case for a bowlback Washburn circa 1890?

Thanks in advance.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

This was discussed fairly recently on this thread.

The Lark case I mentioned on the thread is decent tho not anywhere near the quality of decent std hard cases (like TKL) and you may have to pad it depending on the size of the instrument.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I bought one of the "lark" cases to protect my Vega during the trip we took around Canada at the end of our stay there. The Vega had come with a very nice leather "clown shoe" case, but I didn't trust it for the journey, so had the clown shoe shipped back seperately.

The shop where I had been working had covers custom made for customers Violin cases, and I decided that there were enough advantages to justify having this done for my bowlback case. Besides extending the life of the case, and hopefully improving the degree of protection offered by it to some small degree, I also gained a music pocket, an accessories pocket and shoulder and backpack straps. I could have also opted for a thermally insulating lining - though as I wasn't going to be in Canada for another winter I decided that this wasn't necessary for me.

If you take your instrument out a lot it may be worth enquiring at your local Violin shop as to whether they offer the same service.

Jon

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	covered_case.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	8867  
    Jonathan Springall
    Devon Strings Workshop
    www.devonstrings.co.uk

I just spotted this case on e-bay is this like the ones at lark in the morning for 60.00 you described? I never could see pictures when I went to their site. Thanks Markelberry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	94_1_b.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	8923  
    2013 Northfield Big Mon #223
    2004 Gibson A9
    1981 #1132 Flatiron 1N
    2013 Gibson F9

Dreaming of a Pomeroy F5 Blonde w Engelmann ?

That case is the Korean-made Hobgoblin case, which I think is identical to the Lark case. I have one for my Ceccherini and I think it's pretty nice, as well as cheap. It's the only one that's widely available, anyway, so it's basically Hobson's choice.

Martin

this one is not exactly for a bowl back... apparently, according to the seller it's for a mandolin that must have been made in the year 1478 ......... I hav'nt the heart to tell him it's probably the case model number and not the date.

Ian, I would snap that one up immediately. An original canvas case signed by Lois Howell for a mere $245.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1