Thread: Flatiron Festival A discussion

Default Flatiron Festival A discussion

Anybody else got a Flatiron Festival A mandolin? Mine has a shiny cherry-colored finish, F holes,no pick guard. Made in Montana. Bought it new about 15 years ago. A teacher I had craved it; he would have bought it instantly, but it's not for sale! It has some "dings" where I've banged in on stuff. Comments I get about the dings when I complain about them are, that shows it's being played a lot. I still wish the finish were pristine. If I took it to be refinished, it'd just get more dings.

The feel of the neck is magnificent for me -- I have small hands. It's a "shallow" neck, not bulging out real far in the back. The sound can be loud and bright, or gentle. I mostly play lots and lots of fiddle tunes. Now I''m working on an Air in Dm by Henry Purcell, a classical piece that I am transferring from keyboard to mandolin. All the notes. It's my first classical piece. The technique is sorta a challenge, but the hardest part for me is memorizing the positions. When I was a kid I saw patterns on the piano. Now, I see the patterns in this classical piece, and instantly forget them. I learn about 2-4 measures at a time, and play them over and over for weeks. I still have about 8 measures left to learn.

I'm I'm getting a lot of help from my teacher. For the Purcell Air, I'm using a Dawg pick. Beautiful, soft sound. I'm lucky to have this pick. I think the factory burned down during the hurricane in New York. For fiddle tunes I use a Jim Dunlop USA Nylon 60 mm

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Default Re: Flatiron Festival A discussion

Quote Originally Posted by stringalong View Post
    Anybody else got a Flatiron Festival A mandolin? Mine has a shiny cherry-colored finish, F holes,no pick guard. Made in Montana. Bought it new about 15 years ago. A teacher I had craved it; he would have bought it instantly, but it's not for sale! It has some "dings" where I've banged in on stuff. Comments I get about the dings when I complain about them are, that shows it's being played a lot. I still wish the finish were pristine. If I took it to be refinished, it'd just get more dings.

The feel of the neck is magnificent for me -- I have small hands. It's a "shallow" neck, not bulging out real far in the back. The sound can be loud and bright, or gentle. I mostly play lots and lots of fiddle tunes. Now I''m working on an Air in Dm by Henry Purcell, a classical piece that I am transferring from keyboard to mandolin. All the notes. It's my first classical piece. The technique is sorta a challenge, but the hardest part for me is memorizing the positions. When I was a kid I saw patterns on the piano. Now, I see the patterns in this classical piece, and instantly forget them. I learn about 2-4 measures at a time, and play them over and over for weeks. I still have about 8 measures left to learn.

I'm I'm getting a lot of help from my teacher. For the Purcell Air, I'm using a Dawg pick. Beautiful, soft sound. I'm lucky to have this pick. I think the factory burned down during the hurricane in New York. For fiddle tunes I use a Jim Dunlop USA Nylon 60 mm
    That's a heckuva pick!

Yes, the Dawg is a heckuva pick, all right. One teacher I had wanted me to use it for everything. But I like it for the gentle sound, and use a brighter pick for fiddle tunes.

If you bought it new 15 years ago, it was "new old stock" as they stopped building in Montana by the mid '90s. I just got a mint 1989 Gibson A-5L, which is very similar to yours except that yours is most likely X-braced and mine is tone bar-braced. These mandolins from the Montana era are wonderful creatures. Mine likes a rounded pick better than a pointed pick, as it's treble-midrange heavy. It has bass, but will have to be played for the bass to develop. I doubt it's been played much, as it's 27 years old without a scratch.

the other pick... the 60mm pick.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Yeah, that one

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Monkey View Post
    the other pick... the 60mm pick.
    Oh, now I see which pick BrianWilliams and Badmonkey meant. I use the rounded end of the Jim Dunlop USA Nylon 60 mm pick. I tried using the pointed end, without a lot of success. Thank goodness for mandolin friends -- cyber and local jammers -- for all the tips we get! Which side/end of the pick do you use? And gosh, I tellya, I've tried a lot of picks since when I long ago started playing mando. My technique depends hugely on the pick. I look at it this way: In my short history years ago playng fiddle, I realized that the bow can be more important for sound and technique, and more costly/valuable, than the fiddle itself. I figure the pick for the mandolin would have the same maximum sound and technique value as the fiddle's bow does.

I would think a 60mm pick would be tough to hold any which way you were poking the strings. Maybe it's a .60mm?

I tend to use the same pick I use for electric guitar, the green tortex .68mm jobbies. I already feel like a bit of a goober sticking a few of the green ones on the mike stand, having two kinds of picks lined up there would be even worse. Plus I'm a cheap Scot and can't see paying 5-35 bucks for a pick. Although I'm starting to cave on that one; I just have to get up to Dusty Strings and try some stuff out.

Yep, the UsA Dunlop pick is a .60 mm, not a 60 mm. Ha ha.

A teacher gave me the Dawg pick. I think this particular Dawg model was the latest model before the present one. I think they cost a lot??? I think I had 3-4 of them -- might have given away one or two. I notice the current Dawg models are $1.50 each.

I have a Festival A, blacktop with chocolate-colored b/s. Tonebar-braced. Will have to check the label.

I had a burgandy one that I sold a few years back. They were and are a great deal.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber