Thread: Gretsch American Clarophone Banjolin

Default Gretsch American Clarophone Banjolin

I was recently given a banjolin (my first) from, as far as I can gather, some time around the 1930's that belonged to my Great grandfather, and I had a couple questions about it.

I'm looking to play in a bluegrass band, so I'd like to get a strap for the thing, however there doesn't seem to be any specific place to attach one.

Secondly, there seems to be a sound coming from the drum part of the banjolin consistently one half-step below the note I play on the G string. It goes away when I press the heel of my hand against the drum behind the bridge, however this cuts out a lot of the
    volume. Could it be that the head needs to be tightened?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8EfAmmi.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	541.1 KB 
ID:	149826

Name:	9olZJsr.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	415.2 KB 
ID:	149821

Name:	oa17YDh.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	596.6 KB 
ID:	149822

Name:	yvoBMVU.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	509.6 KB 
ID:	149823

Name:	tDlsRbu.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	634.0 KB 
ID:	149824

Name:	84ZcMIP.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	149825
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5668.JPG 
Views:	414 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	149820  

2. The following members say thank you to Sleepy Sheepy for this post:

Default Re: Gretsch American Clarophone Banjolin

Tightening the head may be a good starting point as far as the buzz is concerned. Be advised that will raise the action a tad but, that's kind of how these things work. Strap? That's another kettle of fish. Some use snap hooks on the tension hooks, I don't like the metal on metal part of that others will use a banjo strap (all leather) and use the hardware included or tie it in place with a leather shoelace.
    Bluegrass it's not much a big part of but, you can have a boat load of fun with one! They are really "different"
    Enjoy it!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Most bluegrass bands (and bluegrass musicians) won't welcome a mandolin-banjo. Think old-timey, ragtime, even Celtic; how about klezmer?

You need to fabricate some type of strap attachment to the brackets around the body of the banjo. Most players I've seen attach a strap that goes over one shoulder, rather than around the neck, but I expect you could to either. I've made mandolin-banjo straps out of miscellaneous strips of leather, old belts e.g., and have tied 'em to the brackets with thongs.

Apparently Gretsch started the Clarophone banjo line in the early '20's. The last of your pics makes me worry as to whether the instrument's neck might be pitched forward a bit; you might want to have that checked out.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Forgot about this thread until recently, thanks for the advice! I ended up getting a small guitar strap and tying it on with shoelaces. As for the neck bow, it got worse over time, and I noticed the action was getting increasingly higher. I took off one set of strings, and the problem went away immediately. It came to light that my great-grandad always played it with only 4 strings instead of the full 8, and its pretty clear now as to why.

I read somewhere that if you string your banjo mandolin with two sets of banjo strings instead of mandolin strings, it requires less tension and might give you the action you are looking for.

It was recommended to me by those wiser than me on this forum to use 2 sets of tenor banjo strings, worked great on mine. I also struggled with strap as mine has a slip on resonator but basically use nylon jewelry making cord through the hooks and hooked to a leather strap. Just got involved with the Buffalo Banjo Band, all pre 1940 music, what a hoot!! They are not the most musical instrument in the world, I say they sound like tin cans dragging behind a car, but in the banjo band or jug band they fit great. Bluegrass, not so much. Have fun!

Would you have a gauge for those strings? I have a banjo in and would like to try a different gauge as well to see if it plays different.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

I got the GHS tenor light - SET: 220 (010, 5/012/020/028). Been happy with them. Did not adversely affect the volume.

Thanks! I will give it a try. Mine came with a set from 40 to 11, i also wouldn’t mind a little less volume.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

I have posted the string gauges for these several times, it really nice to see folks using them and repeating the gauges. Thanks all.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks to you Pops for the recommendation a few years ago.

13. The following members say thank you to Steve Mead for this post:

pops1