Thread: Elderly Want File

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Default Elderly Want File

There was a feature on the Cafe homepage recently about this new service offered at Elderly Instruments. Apparently, they aren't satisfied with selling me just two mandolins in the last two years, despite the showroom being 1400+ miles from my home, so now they'd like to keep a file of additional instruments that they might be able to peddle to me in the future (and sadly they're right). I'm wondering if anyone has availed themselves of this resource, perhaps successfully, despite its recent debut. Even more, I'd be curious to learn what mandolin(s) you'd like Stan and his cruelly efficient staff to set aside for you in the event that they could locate one.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Default Re: Elderly Want File

I think this can be a great service to those wishing to buy very rare instruments, or for the collector wishing to plug that hole in his collection, or someone looking for exceptional condition.

I thought it was to put things on the list in case your SO doesn't know what to get you for a gift (go to the Elderly want list to see what you'd like and buy you something.) I didn't read about it, I was just guessing. So they will try to find what I want? That could be VERY dangerous to my budget!

I could be mistaken, but I do recall them always having a want list. This is nothing new for prominent (or even not-so prominent dealers). I used want lists back in pre-Internet days on Mandolin Brothers, Elderly and Gruhn and prob a few other dealers who are no longer with us.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Most dealers have client want lists.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."