Thread: Blue Chip Pick Damage

Default Blue Chip Pick Damage

A while back I got a CT55 and didn't play it too much. I then tried it out on my electric guitar and couple times and I noticed the pick had significant scratches and dents along the bevel. It now makes my mandolin sound pretty scratchy. Has anyone else beaten their blue chips up like this?
    Also, does anyone know how to buff out scratches on a blue chip?

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Re: Blue Chip Pick Damage

Ask the maker.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Here is a link to the FAQ,

http://www.bluechippick.net/faqs/

Most of us have played them for year after year after year, with virtually no wear at all...

That's pretty crazy that a few sessions on guitar would affect it that much...

If you click on the link that George gave you and choose "can I reshape my pick", it tells you which grits of sandpaper to use.

I've used my CT 55 for an hour or two a day, 365 days a year, for about 5 years...and it's only showing the smallest signs of wear
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Can you take some pick pics? I wouldn't be surprised if the BC makers would buff it up for you which would be better than risking fixing an expensive pick yourself.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

How heavy are the strings on your electric? It's odd they'd damage the pick if your mando strings didn't.

If you're like me, picking up a Strat makes you believe you're Stevie Ray Vaughan, and the picking hand gets a little reckless. Did you maybe hit the pick against a pickguard screw or something?
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I do pick pretty hard on the guitar and I'm playing 11-52 strings. I may have abused it a bit more than I realized.
    Luckily I didn't care for this pick much before so I'm not too worried about it. I just thought this was interesting since I've never heard of anyone damaging their blue chip before.
    I'll try to get some pictures later today. The dents aren't very noticeable but you can definitely feel them and hear it when playing.
    Maybe I'll try their sandpaper recommendations on the website.

I use the same gauge. They sound fat and feel good on a Gibson, and put up with the wanna-be blues bashing on a Fender.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4