Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If You Had A Gibson Lloyd Loar Mandolin

Default If You Had A Gibson Lloyd Loar Mandolin

If you had/owned a Gibson Lloyd Loar signed mandolin, would you play it in public? That is to say, would you take it out of the house to jam and/or perform? I've run across a number of folks who own a high-end mandolin (think Gilchrist, Brentrup, Ellis, etc.), but keep it inside the house, and have a less expensive mando that they take to gig and jam. Of course a Gibson L.L. puts things in a different dimension than the aforementioned high-end mandos. So, what say you? Take it out, or leave that Loar inside?
    John A. Karsemeyer

Default Re: If You Had A Gibson Lloyd Loar Mandolin

Mandolins are musical instruments meant to be played. I recently was lucky enough to spend some very small time with a couple of Loar-owning pros. One uses it as his primary instrument, the other plays his Duff when performing and leaves the Loar at home for the most part but doesn't hesitate to let others play and enjoy it when he does bring it out.

Plus here's a relevant Thile quote:

I would advise anyone who has a Loar — take the thing out of the ***damn case! It is NOT a museum piece, it is an instrument. It is an instrument that needs to be played. If you're not playing it, find someone who will and loan it to them. Let them play it. It's like how sad it is to see a cheetah in a zoo. It makes me SO MAD. Anyone that ever looks at mine and says "Oh man, you put some scratches on it, eh? " ... **** OFF. It drives me absolutely crazy that people baby these things. I mean, by all means, take care of it, make sure it doesn't get stolen, that kind of thing. Keep it out of harm's way, but PLAY IT. Tour with it! Make music on that thing, it's dying to be played. They are such brilliant instruments. AND — get it in playable condition... take the fingerboard off. The jig in the factory was WRONG. if you keep the thing in original condition, it's not playable! The frets up on the top end are out of tune! It drives me to distraction that people who deify these things and don't get them in playable condition and play them. They are brilliant instruments.

Loar was not God. He was a very good instrument builder. Sorry. It's a little rant. "Play your Loar."

I'm just going to go ahead and say keeping it original is keeping it wrong. Hey, if that's what you like... more power to ya.

I can't say that I would either keep a Loar or trust myself to follow the above examples if I did but I like to think I would.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chris Daniels For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I wouldn't own an instrument intended for stationary use.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

5. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    I wouldn't own an instrument intended for stationary use.

f-d
    Agreed. If I had a Loar (or any other iconic instrument), I'd take it everywhere with me and never stop playing it. Jam, gig, work, the grocery store... everywhere.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

The answer is simple. You keep your pristine Loar for enjoying around the house. For gigs, camping etc, you bring your beater Loar. Hey...it happens.

8. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Play your Loar. Keep your Schmergel locked away safely in climate controlled conditions.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

10. The following members say thank you to F-2 Dave for this post:

Blog Entries

If I had a signed Loar, I would play it obsessively for many months and then sell it. I don't want that much money, or that much history, tied up in such a fragile bundle.

What I might do is spend a month or two flying around the country and world meeting the greatest players and having them try it out. Then sell the thing and pay off the credit card debt I acquired flying around the world meeting the greatest players.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

If I had a Loar it would go to every jam, gig, and festival I attended. And I'd put it in the hands of any respectful picker that wanted to try it out too!

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

For me it would depend on where I was playing a gig, If playing a festival or some respectful place I would play the Loar if it was a knock down drag out bar I would play a lesser mandolin...BUT...I don`t have to worry about making such a choice since my Loar has only been with me in my dreams...

One thing to consider is that a lot of Loars have some playwear. A little more playwear, or even a ding or two, may not detract significantly from its desirability as a signed Loar. A pristine new Nugget, however, if one can be found, will likely be impacted a bit in price if you get some microphone dings on it or other such wear from playing/gigging out with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    If I had a Loar it would go to every jam, gig, and festival I attended. And I'd put it in the hands of any respectful picker that wanted to try it out too!
    Amen, brother...
    Chuck

AND — get it in playable condition... take the fingerboard off. The jig in the factory was WRONG. if you keep the thing in original condition, it's not playable! The frets up on the top end are out of tune!
    This is the first I've heard of this. Does it apply to all vintage Gibsons or only a certain run? What's required to fix it -- whole new fingerboard or recut/refret? Do you keep the original one?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I'd sell it and
    - buy a new car for my wife
    - make a deposit for replacing my Fylde OM with another Fylde OM, in case it gets destroyed in an accident.

One item so far outside 80/20 can outweigh several items within 80/20.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

From JAK - "..would you play it in public ? " Every time !!. I wouldn't necessarily broadcast what it was & it's value to the world,that's my business. For me,not playing it would be like owning a Rolls Royce or Bently & keeping it in the garage -no chance !.

I would however, do as i do with almost everything that i own - take good care of it & enjoy every moment of the privilege of ownership,as i do with the mandolins that i do own,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    +1 Shaun.....Monroe played his out everywhere at jams, parties, on tour, etc.

I'd treat it just like my F5L; it goes everywhere with me...to the store, to the doctor's office, to the post office, it never leaves my sight!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

If it's real perspective you want, you have to grasp that losing it would be the equivalent of losing 9,000 Blue Chips, all at once.

If someone bequeathed a Loar to me, I would feel strange taking it out in public because I'm not wealthy enough to just go buy such an instrument. I'd probably sell it and buy a nice used Gill, or Gibson MM, or even a Red Diamond and put the rest in my 401K.

But if I were wealthy enough to actually afford such a luxury, I'd take it out and play the hell out of it.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

If I had such a mando, I'd sell it to buy a house or something

But seriously, I mostly agree with the Thile quote. Sure, I wouldn't bring an expensive instrument to play at a campfire or go busking etc., but keeping it in a case is just wrong.
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt

25. The following members say thank you to Ausdoerrt for this post:

I do take it to every jam and gig - keep the pick guard on.
    Last edited by Hendrik Ahrend; Sep-28-2016 at 6:09am.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hendrik Ahrend For This Useful Post:

I'd like to add this to the mix with the OP's permission.

Scenario: The world economy crashes tomorrow, martial law is declared the world over and that $150K Loar is now worth $1000, or the price of 10 loaves of bread at $100/loaf. Avg earnings are $200/week and you have 2 jobs that enable you to survive.

Would you still sell it now, or play the fire out of it and enjoy it for the musical respite it brings you during dark, troubled times?

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

29. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    I'd like to add this to the mix with the OP's permission.

Scenario: The world economy crashes tomorrow, martial law is declared the world over and that $150K Loar is now worth $1000, or the price of 10 loaves of bread at $100/loaf. Avg earnings are $200/week and you have 2 jobs that enable you to survive.

Would you still sell it now, or play the fire out of it and enjoy it for the musical respite it brings you during dark, troubled times?
    Well Nick, I've only been hungry one time in my life. It's a long story, but I had just dropped out of college and moved across country. I found a job, but they paid every two weeks. I ran out of money 3 days before payday. I was doing manual labor in a downtown office, and spotted a package of cheese crackers in a break room, which I promptly grabbed and opened. A woman saw me, and was visibly taken aback by my brazen theft. I looked her in the eyes and said calmly, and with conviction "I haven't eaten in two days. I'm hungry."

So, I can say with certainty that if I ever get to the point of being that hungry again, I would gladly sell anything I own.

That evening I was able to borrow a few bucks from a coworker to tied me through. But those cheese crackers were one of the best meals I've ever had.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Austin Bob For This Useful Post:

Been there done that as well Bob...but in my scenario you are working in a world depression, your needs are met barely; perhaps living 7 in a one bedroom apt. My point is there's no hope of selling the mandolin for big bucks because it's worth really only a few days worth of food; but it's still the Loar that used to be worth $150K.

I guess my point is taking expected windfall gain out of the equation because life now dictates that musical instruments are next to nothing in worth, would folks keep it or sell it?

Again let me emphasize or re-state that your needs are met; it's just that you & 99% of the world just make enough to survive, and selling the mandolin will only bring in enough for extra groceries for awhile (about $35 worth of groceries by today's standards). World economics dictate that it's just not worth that much, yet it used to be worth a lot. Knowing what it was and now is in terms of worth, and with financial prospects dim anyway, do you still seek to sell as others here have stated they would, when meaningful financial gain is removed from the equation?

BTW things were like that in 1929 right after the crash, and lasted that way for several years.

33. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

If I was only worried about me, I'd go hungry occasionally and keep/play the Loar. If my wife or kids were struggling, though, I'd sell if I couldn't find another way to meet their needs. That said, I'm willing to work and a little creative, so I hope I'd find a way to keep it!
    Chuck

"Once I had a railroad...."
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Guys,

Your needs are met....can't emphasize that enough because people keep talking about going hungry. You work 2 jobs, live in a 1 bedroom with 7 other people, and are eating. You own an object that was once highly valued, but now is only worth a few days worth of groceries, that you don't need. Prospects are not going to improve, and those items (musical instruments) are no longer highly valued.

Do you keep it and enjoy it or still sell it?

Think this couldn't happen? Nobody in 1928 thought so either....

37. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post: