Thread: Sarah Jarosz and Parker Millsap at the Levitt-Shell in Memphis TN

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Sarah Jarosz and Parker Millsap at the Levitt-Shell in Memphis TN

Mandolin Cafe Friends,

Had the wonderful opportunity to hear Sarah Jarosz and Parker Millsap at the Levitt-Shell outdoor performance center in Memphis TN on Friday, Sept. 23rd! First let me say I really enjoyed Parker Millsap's opening performance (I quickly picked up his latest CD). He's a great blues-style singer and songwriter...check him out!

After a short intermission, Sarah Jarosz (octave mandolin and guitar), Jeff Picker (bass), and Jeb Hughes (electric and acoustic guitar and harmony vocals) took the stage (which was about 30 feet from my front row chair). You can always tell when an artist is the "real deal" ... let me tell you, Sarah Jarosz and her band mates are the real deal! What do I mean by the real deal...she sounds exactly like her studio recordings...LIVE! I kid you not, if you closed your eyes you might think you were listening to the CD (I have all but one of her CDs as well). From her latest album/CD I ascribed most of the cool instrumentals to Sarah, but alas most of them are performed by guitarist Jeb Hughes! He is an outstanding guitarist and provided silky smooth harmony vocals to Sarah's unique voice. This is a night I will never forget...it was just a spectacular show! Did I mention that all the performances at the Levitt-Shell are free (they pass the hat)! If you are ever in Memphis, check out the Levitt-Shell and see if there is a performance you can take in...great venue!
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tburcham For This Useful Post:

ChinnRay(T) 

Default Re: Sarah Jarosz and Parker Millsap at the Levitt-Shell in Memphi

Agree, saw them recently at an awesome venue in Charlotte, NC, and concur with all you report...
    Chuck

Funny. My band was playing a gig at a downtown coffee shop, The Tamp & Tap, for their bluegrass brunch when we looked up and the bass player spotted Sarah and said something. The two guys with her (Jeff and Jeb?) sat and listened for a tune smiling and then left as they were obviously on their way somewhere. Didn't know she was playing the Shell as I had just come back into town. So... I didn't hear them, but they heard me!
    Rick in Memphis

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick Crenshaw For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the report Tim, we're due to see the same show when it hits the UK (Sheffield) in November.

I saw them in Birmingham on Sunday night and just have to echo the sentiment that Sarah Jarosz is the real deal. She and her band were a delight to hear. The quality of the music was amazing, as was their professional, but very warm and friendly delivery. I highly recommend that you catch their show if you can.

Hate that I missed this, however, I was in a wedding downtown this weekend and had rehearsal Friday night.

Sounds like it was great!
    Chinn A-style
    Chinn BluesBird Emando #1
    Aria M-300BG 2 Point
    Kay Model 68

Okay, I'm with you fellas tburcham's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Crenshaw View Post
    Funny. My band was playing a gig at a downtown coffee shop, The Tamp & Tap, for their bluegrass brunch when we looked up and the bass player spotted Sarah and said something. The two guys with her (Jeff and Jeb?) sat and listened for a tune smiling and then left as they were obviously on their way somewhere. Didn't know she was playing the Shell as I had just come back into town. So... I didn't hear them, but they heard me!
    Rick,

Great to hear from you. Hope you're doing well.
    Tim Burcham
    Northfield Big Mon (Red Spruce/Red Maple)
    Gibson F-9 Custom
    1942 Strad-O-Lin
    1948-54 Gibson LG-3
    2011 Gibson J-45 True Vintage
    2017 Martin HD-28 VTS Custom Shop
    Bailey Mandolin Straps (NFI)
    Bell Arm-rests (NFI)