Thread: Northfield F4M Strings and Amplify

Question Northfield F4M Strings and Amplify

Hi.

I have lurked for some time but am new to posting. I just bought a used Northfield F4M. I have two questions.

The first is specific - Any F4 players, and Northfields in particular, care to share what strings work best for them? (I use J47s on my F5 and A5.)

The second is general. (Yes, I have read the threads.) I gig two to four times weekly. What is the best way to amplify the mando for bar use? I am only interested in high end approaches. Sound quality and volume without feedback are paramount. I am not interested in cheap alternatives. One last wrinkle - I tend to jump around a lot on stage. I could stop doing that but statues aren't as entertaining to folks out drinking for the night.

Thanks, in advance, for your replies.
    Dave

Default Re: Northfield F4M Strings and Amplify

I've used K&K pickups in all my mandolins, including an oval hole Weber. That sounded great. I am able to get to a volume level that I can hear myself in a band with a drummer. But, there is a limit to volume with any acoustic instument. If you need crazy loud, I'd go with a solid body mandolin. If you do go the K&K route, make sure you get a preamp for it. I've used the K&K preamp and a Zoom A3 as well as a cheap Behringer. All three will get you a good sound if dialed in right. The pickup is very sensitive to input impedance of the preamp, so make sure you plug into something with a 1M ohm input impedance.
    Hope this helps.
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com

3. The following members say thank you to McIrish for this post:

Default Re: Northfield F4M Strings and Amplify

Thanks, McIrish. I have a solid body mando and that is what I switch to when the noise gets to be too much. I prefer the sound of my mic'd acoustic Stiver. The Stiver is a louder mando than the Northfield and I don't think the F4 will keep up. I have held off buying something to amplify the acoustic girls. I still have $1k in my 'band fund' and figure it's time to get it done. Thanks for your help. I'll be interested to hear what experience folks have with high-end, clip-on mics and pres.

The info about matching impedance is very helpful since I also have a teardrop (Big Muddy) with a K&K installed. It sounds like butt and feeds back. I will try a different pre. Thanks again. Dave