Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: custom mandola

Default custom mandola

It's been a while since I finished an instrument of the mandolin family, and this one is different enough from the usual around here that I decided to post some photos. The customer was operating on what he called the "50 foot rule". Decoration is intended to be seen from 50 feet, and close up details are not important. To that end, He wanted a white face and ivoroid pick guard, inspired by the looks of an A-3, block inlays, and basics otherwise. Simple ebony body bindings and no fingerboard or peghead binding.
    This is a mandola with a short (under 16") scale. My mandolas have all been 17" scale before this, so I was trying to figure out how I was going to get the bridge to center between the f-hole points when I remembered something I had been wanting to try. Some of the designs of Jimmy DaQuisto are among my favorite instrument designs, and I had been wanting to try using DaQuisto "f"-holes, so I asked the customer if it would be OK to use them on this mandola. He liked the design, so I got my chance to try using this hole shape, and in the bargain got to ignore the tradition of centering the bridge between the f-holes!
    For those interested, the top is engelmann spruce (I got to use one of the tops I have with dark streaks of color (thanks, Bruce)), the back, sides and neck are sugar maple, the bindings and peghead overlays are ebony, and the fingerboard is African blackwood.
    So, 'without further adieu', the pictures:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frontfull.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	150023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	backfull.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	150024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inlay.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	150025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	150026

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Default Re: custom mandola

a few more:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headcreek.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	150027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neckjoint.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	150028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frontcreek.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	150029

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

That's beautiful John. I read the post before looking at the photos and couldn't imagine the block inlays looking good, but it was definitely the right call.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Stunning

Very, very cool John.
    Gail Hester

Incredible!
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Nice! I'm always a sucker for block inlay

Looks good from 3000 miles here...

I'm a sucker for block inlay too. The thing that struck me was how you've changed the headstock inlay - now Hamlett reads frontward and backward (sorry, I can't remember the word for that).
    Clark Beavans

Beautiful, John.

Quote Originally Posted by tree View Post
    The thing that struck me was how you've changed the headstock inlay - now Hamlett reads frontward and backward (sorry, I can't remember the word for that).
    Palindrome is the word you're looking for. That is a great looking 'dola John. I don't think you need to step back 50 feet to admire this one. I'd like to test drive it from right behind the box.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I'm a sucker for block inlay too. The thing that struck me was how you've changed the headstock inlay - now Hamlett reads frontward and backward (sorry, I can't remember the word for that).
    The customer wanted an alternate logo, and it took me a while to come up with this one. I don't know what that's called either, I don't think it's a palindrome because you can't actually read it backwards without flipping it over (and then reading it forwards).
    This logo fits with this design better, IMO, than my usual logo, but it doesn't work well (IMO) with the F-5 and other designs.

True, strictly speaking your name doesn't read the same backwards and forward, but your design is so skillful it looks like a palindrome. It is very well done!! I don't know the word either.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    The thing that struck me was how you've changed the headstock inlay - now Hamlett reads frontward and backward (sorry, I can't remember the word for that).
    Palindrome is the word you're looking for.
    Palindrome would be symmetrical equal letters in normal orientation (e.g. "step on no pets"). Palindrome works independent of font type. This, OTOH, is 180 degrees rotational symmetry on a graphical level (like the yin&yang symbol), with groups of letters made to look like other letters (the H is the tt and so on). Very cool.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Blog Entries

I like the consecutive pattern within the block inlay. And the underside of the fretboard extension seems pretty white like the top. What determined the choice of colors?

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    ...What determined the choice of colors?
    The customer wanted the white top and ivoriod pick guard. I chose the A/F-4 inspired red for the rest of the instrument (with the customer's approval), the ebony was a joint decision also. As for the fingerboard extender being the same color as the top, I concluded that the white color had to have a boundary, and I decided that the boundary would be the ebony top binding and the ebony "cross piece". That meant the extender was on the paint side of the boundary, so it's white! The top started out much whiter but the varnish I used over the color darkened it quite a bit.

The logo figure is called an ambigram. Looks awesome, and so does the instrument. Very nice design and execution, but we didn't expect anything less. :-)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

sunbursttree 

Stunning instrument!!!
    I love the design.
    It is beautiful in its simplicity and sharpness.
    I think the wood on the back is absolutely beautiful.
    Congrats on a wonderful creation.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

Blog Entries

I wonder about the size of the sound holes. Do they create a more open sound than one with "f"holes? They seem larger in the pictures.
    Also is there a different sound from your other mandolas at this shorter scale length?

Both good questions, Doug. There is not another of my mandolas within 400 miles of here, so I can't get a direct sound comparison, and furthermore, only one has f-holes, so that's not a very big sample size for comparison anyway.
    The short scale is working better than I expected, with some pretty hefty strings on it (still, only a "medium" set). I'm not quite curious enough to measure the area of the holes, but I don't imagine that it is a lot more than the area of f-holes, and with the body size and depth, I don't think they are even approaching too big. Perhaps even bigger would work well.
    The sound seems to balance well all the way to the open C note, so I consider the sound to be a success. I haven't really heard it played yet, but the owner is on his way to come pick it up, so by later this evening I should know more about the sound and how it compares to the owners expectations.

23. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

DougC 

It's the night for photos of fantastic instruments on the Cafe. Very nicely done! I think that the mandola has a great Art Deco vibe to it.

Pete
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

This ambigram thing has raised my curiosity - there is even an automatic ambigram designer on the web. I can see that in the near future you can sit everywhere in a jam or session and easily read who made your fellow musician's instrument.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    The logo figure is called an ambigram.
    Thank you Marty for a new (to me) word to add to the vocabulary.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Lovely work John.
    Cheers Gary

Not too shabby, John. Give me an update, at your leisure, as to when you want this mandola out yonder.

My first Gibson was a white A3 and I still miss it since it was made the same year as my dad's birth year. I love your modernized design, John. Excellent.

What kind of bracing did you use? And do you need to string it with a custom (heavier?) gauged set to work with the shorter scale?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1