Thread: What is my Taylor Guitar worth? - no mando content

Default What is my Taylor Guitar worth? - no mando content

I'm getting an insurance policy for my instruments and my insurance company needs either a bill of sale or an appraisal for each instrument. I have to pay an appraisal fee for each instrument, so I want to avoid doing that if possible.

I have a bill of sale for my 1999 Taylor 310. I could use that unless these are now worth more than what I paid for it ($800 in 2000). I had a pickup installed beneath the saddle. I'm not sure what kind it is, but I think it's either a Baggs or a Fishman. I do know that there is a 9-volt battery mounted inside the body that is needed to power the pickup. It cost me a few hundred dollars to get it installed back in the early 2000s, but I have no receipt for that.

It's in excellent shape. Not much in the way of play wear. The body/finish is in excellent shape.

Does anyone know what this would sell for (give or take)? The whole point of insurance appraisal to to determine the cost of replacement. If the bill of sale is more than that, then I'll just use that. But if this is worth more than $800, then it's worth it to pay for the appraisal.

Thanks!

Default Re: What is my Taylor Guitar worth? - no mando content

I just looked at the Taylor webside and a new 310 with no electronics is $1650. I'm not sure how appraisals work. Since this is not a vintage, rare, or discontinued instrument, maybe the "replacement cost" is what it would cost to purchase a new one. Although maybe they somehow account for the fact that I could replace it with a used model?

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

These sound like questions for your insurance agent.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

4. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Insured value is replacement value, at least with Heritage. What would it cost for you to replace it with a new one?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

6. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    These sound like questions for your insurance agent.
    The insurance agent said they insure an instrument for the replacement value. And that number is either on a bill of sail or on an appraisal - so that's no help. Now that I think about it, I should ask the appraisal shop if they would use the value of a new one or a used one in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Insured value is replacement value, at least with Heritage. What would it cost for you to replace it with a new one?
    Thanks, if that's the case then it's worth it for me to pay the $60 appraisal fee to get it insured for $1650 (plus cost of the pickup if they would add that on) versus saving the $60 and getting it insured for $800.

But I'll also ask the appraisal shop what they will do before paying.

9. The following members say thank you to Stevo75 for this post:

Heritage uses the new cost to replace as replacement value. There is no deductible and they do not deduct any amount for depreciation. You need to find out what the guidelines are for your insurance and what The rules are concerning deductibles and depreciation. If you use the used market value, then some depreciation will be imbedded in this already. You will end up shorting yourself. At $800 used you will end up with $500 in the event you file a claim to replace the instrument if it's stolen.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

it's not an uncommon instrument, so you can look at used prices: GC, reverb, ebay: http://www.guitarcenter.com/search?N...aylor+310+used

(the CE version with builtin pickup is not commonly offered used)

I don't know anything about Taylor acoustics, but there may be years/wood options/other options that are particularly desired by players or collectors.
    Last edited by gtani7; Oct-03-2016 at 7:04am.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds