Thread: Fishman M200 / M100

Default Fishman M200 / M100

Hello,
    Looking at amplification for my mandolin (Loar lm500) and I think I will be going for the bridge pick up..i'm looking at these..
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fishman-M-2.../dp/B000BQOW1G
    or
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fishman-PRO.../dp/B0002D06ZY

My question is this..i really don't like the concept of carpenters jacks or wires with jack sockets on the end of them. My choice would be to run the wire through the lower F hole and drill the side of the mandolin for a fixed jack socket but wondered if these could be converted to do that?
    Cheers
    Oliver

Default Re: Fishman M200 / M100

I use one. It has had a small hole drilled through the top under the bridge into an end pin jack. It was done by the supplying dealer's repair shop. The M200 needs a good preamp to avoid major click issues. I use an Ashdown and it's fine or straight into a Trace Acoustic passive channel. The M300 is said to be better. I must admit, I'd like to have been able to try other pickups before installation but it's not always possible.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well .... Yes you can drill your mandolin and install a jack in the side. You would be better off going with an endpin jack because it will have the support or the end block. Which the mandolin won't have on the side. The chord and plug will need that support. Have you looked into the K&K products that mount inside the instrument on the instrument top beneath the bridge? I have had very good luck with those. Insofar as a preamp one is usually needed with an unpowered transducer due to an impedance miss match with most amps and boards. The good news there is that a preamp is not a horrible expense, about 40.00$ here in the States. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Blog Entries

I think those Fishman bridge pickups are very poor value, and I really don't like how they sound at all. There are lots of other options that are much easier to get decent results from. I also really don't like the "drill the top" bit....

For a good, basic, easy (and reversible) installation a K&K is a solid bet.

If you are looking for even better sound quality, check the AKG C411 PP.They do not suffer from that 'harsh' quack as so many piezo units do, though.... removable and possible either as an internal or external install.

As you are in Europe (just, at the moment, anyway) here they are...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_c411ph_mikro.htm?glp=1

They are probably the best transducer I have yet heard on mandolin. Very natural and smooth.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver R View Post
    Hello, [snip]

My question is this..i really don't like the concept of carpenters jacks or wires with jack sockets on the end of them. My choice would be to run the wire through the lower F hole and drill the side of the mandolin for a fixed jack socket but wondered if these could be converted to do that?
    Cheers
    Oliver
    I'll just address the Jack in the side of the Body, yes that can be done , I have a Magnetic Pickup Installation.

they used a 4 screw Mounted Jack Plate manufactured for Les Paul looking Guitars . with the 1/4" jack in the center.

Piezo Pickups just use 2 wires , so they would be wired to the Tip , + wire , & the other one to the side of the plug contact.

The MC gang seem more to like the under the soundboard
    interior mounted Piezo electric pieces ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

6. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Pickups under the saddle, or in this case in the bridge, typically sound the same no matter what instrument they are on. A pickup under the top captures more of the sound of the instrument and for me sounds more acoustic. I can always tell when a guitar, especially, has a pickup under the saddle just by the sound.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Cheers,
    Some interesting advice there..
    Almeriastrings, do thosa AKG bugs just stick with blu-tak or the like?

Blog Entries

Yes. I have had one as an internal install on my Ellis for quite a while. It has never come loose, but would be very easy to remove deliberately at any point if I wanted to. Externally, they do not damage the surface finish and you can leave them as a semi-permanent fixture. The internal install situation is described here:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/en...-Custom-Cables

These are very popular with violin players, by the way, too.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Yes, i'm liking the look and reviews of those..I have a mini mixer with phantom power and quite a sophisticated EQ also, could be perfect and no drilling!

Oh, one other thing, it's the usual thin wire but would you say its pretty tough?
    Cheers

Blog Entries

Yes. No problem. Never had an issue. One of them I have had about 6 years and used a lot with other artists when running sound. Had it on string bass, all kinds of things. Held up just fine. It is built to 'pro' standards by AKG. Very easy to EQ... just roll of some low end. Normally noes not need much messing around.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Very cool,
    I once had an LR Baggs radius and really did not get on with that at all so I was kind of staying away from all that sort of thing but these sound like a different kettle of fish. Very good reviews!
    I think this solves some problems..
    Cheers
    Oliver

I'm confused by the description of the AKG cable. Is it an XLR or 1/4"?

Blog Entries

XLR - goes straight into any XLR stage box or extension cable. That is for the: PP (Phantom Power) version

There is another version (non PP) which is intended for use with a wireless belt pack. That uses a special AKG wireless connector and does not run from normal phantom power. The custom cable I wired that you see above is a special adaptor to allow it to interface with a Headway EDB series preamp. These can apply power directly to the C411. Very few preamps can do this...

If you just order the 'PP' version that is the most versatile for most users.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

16. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Well...Just ordered one of these. Will report back!

While I can't comment on the AKG unit you purchased, I'll say you made a wise decision by avoiding the Fishman bridge pup. I once owned the M-100 and in addition to the horrible piezo quack, the saddle split lengthwise during a gig and could not support string tension. My goose was cooked...

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Well, Almeriastrings, thanks for that recommendation.
    Tried it out last night, stuck it on behind the bridge (treble side) and it sounds superb with little or no messing (bit of mid cut).
    It sounds a helluva lot better than the Baggs radius that I had for a considerable amount less money.
    Cheers
    Oliver

20. The following members say thank you to Oliver R for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver R View Post
    Well, Almeriastrings, thanks for that recommendation.
    Tried it out last night, stuck it on behind the bridge (treble side) and it sounds superb with little or no messing (bit of mid cut).
    It sounds a helluva lot better than the Baggs radius that I had for a considerable amount less money.
    Cheers
    Oliver
    Bumping this...i might try one of these AKGs. so far ive tried the Lr Baggs radius, the Fishman M200 and the myers feather ( couldn't get enough volume) ya im aware of the impedance matching......and cant gett any sound i really like without heavy EQ and then i have no volume..Im playing in the electric country band and having a hell of time..don't know if i should cry or laugh at this point lol.

Question Re: Fishman M200 / M100

Door #3...

My installed pickup is Schertler .. it's a contact dynamic microphone, so goes into the mixer like any other mic.

Its signal is Strong, so with an impedance matching Transformer (Made for Dynamic mics ) I can plug it into guitar amps..

Or Mic Inputs on dual channel acoustic amps.. I have a Roland .. XLR or TRS input..

But the Cafe seems to prefer Piezos..they work better adding a pre-amp, made by the company making the pickup , ideally..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I've got Fishman 100 bridges on two mandolins and my mandola, and they sound just fine to me. Yes, pre-amp, though can work without. But no drilling. I can't believe that. Why? Just put the wire in through the soundhole and out a 1/4" end pin jack. Pre-amp has been Baggs Venue, now have a Fishman ToneDEQ. The first has five band EQ and a tuner; the second less EQ but several effects. And both have XLR outputs, which sound guys prefer, and also 1/4", if you want to go through effects or into an amp.. Yes, they're pricey, but worth it, IMO. I like being able to have my sound dialed in, so I can hand a cord to the sound guy and tell him to run it dry.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Door #3...

My installed pickup is Schertler .. it's a contact dynamic microphone, so goes into the mixer like any other mic.

But the Cafe seems to prefer Piezos..they work better adding a pre-amp, made by the company making the pickup , ideally..
    I like Door #3 also: Schertler DYN-M. I use it only when performing with the trio and using a Carvin amp that has 48V phantom power. So easy to stick on the top and run the wire under the strings between the bridge and the tailpiece. I plug the cord into an XLR cable snapped on the mic stand.

I didn't like the idea of drilling holes in the tailpiece, or gluing K&K piezos on the inside, and the sound is very acoustic without having to fiddle with a pre-amp.