Thread: Gibson F5 Custom. 4 Month Review

Default Gibson F5 Custom. 4 Month Review

I bought a Gibson F5-Custom on Memorial Day of this year. I wanted to wait a few months before posting my review and I'm glad I did.

I'm going to try to make this as concise and to the point as possible.

Last December I went to Nashville for my bi-annual mandolin tasting and was blown away by the David Harvey Gibsons I tried out. I was also very impressed with the tone of a Northfield I played and it's tone complimented/counter-parted the '02 Collings MT2 I own. I was already planning on buying a Northfield and I feel like the one I played was an incredible example of the F5S. It was already open and sweet and had a great modern tone. The F5s opened up even more and was a heck of a mandolin, a truly beautiful tone, and a joy to play. The fit was great, but the finish was really soft and easily susceptible to scratches and dings. I bought it right before the price hike, and thought i might want to sell while it's still mint before I scratched it up. As mentioned, the tone was incredible.

In the following winter months, I loved playing the Northfield at home but in jams it just didn't cut as well as I needed it to, and with some unplanned unintended hard work I made some extra money and unexpectedly found myself in a conversation with The Mandolin Store and realized I could afford a brand new Gibson F5 Custom. I thought for a few days and finally decided I couldn't pass on their offer.

I traded my Northfield and sent a little cash and acquired what I hoped could be a lifetime Mandolin. I still loved my Collings, but I wanted an F style to gig with... (Bluegrass ya know...) and I had loved the tone of the Gibsons that Harvey was building. I figured the 2002 Collings MT2 and my Gibson could be decent stable mates to comprise the bulk of my arsenal.

Quick Stats:

Gibson F5 Custom

Basically an F5G but fully bound. Radiused fretboard and big frets.

Gotta admit I thought it was cool that it has a similar headstock to Thile, Monroe, Grisman...etc, etc, etc. Sound comes first, but it looked nice. Mine is really a dark burst.

Sitka Spruce, maple, you know the details I'm sure.

My FIRST impressions during the first few days:

Incredible definition between notes and highly complex and refined tone. A tiny bit closed in but wanting/yearning to open up. Not as brash or as loud as my Collings. Not as much sustain as my Collings. For some odd reason my primetone pics sounded better than my BlueChip CT55's in the first 2 months. The treble end cut in every way like I needed from the start, it had volume but not depth. It was a good representation of the brand, but not the strongest I'd ever heard. It was still very green though.

After several months:

WOWZA. This thing has come alive! I don't really want to believe in opening up, etc, but I've come to honestly hear some huge changes in my mandolins with time. This Gibson has opened up, it's louder, deeper, more resonant, has more sustain... it's simply more powerful and open. I can't describe what happens, but the entire mandolin has more depth, and my bluechip sounds best now. The mando has the strength now to take the BlueChip. It still has the really great note clarity and definition that it had originally but now it is also more depth to each note, and it rings loud and true. It's not muffled and it's turned into a loud beast, like the Collings, but the note clarity is better.

The fit,finish,detail work on the Collings is better. The note clarity on the Gibson is better.

One thing that really surprised me is how the upper register is really explosive now. Playing breaks on the upper register it is just so loud and PUNCHY. It POPS with each note, with top-notch note separation.

I'm really glad I held on to this for a few months, because it's ALREADY the mandolin I want it to be. I wouldn't be scared to sell it if I didn't love it, even though I made a big investment, because if you spend over $5k on a mandolin, you want to love it, and I really do now. It's just a gem. The bass courses are woody and punchy. The note separation on the low opening to something like Jerusalem Ridge just jump out with crisp deep brute force, and the tremolo on the treble rings like a bell, crisp and clean like a classic Gibson.

There are less overtones compared to the Collings, but that's because the notes contain more definition, precision and punch. tone that just explodes out, in tight little notes. That's not saying it's not complex, it just isn't as brash, but it's just as bold... hard to describe.

As always, the setup was perfect from TMS.

I'm pretty stoked on this thing.

These pics do the color justice. It's just as dark in person.

I noticed great improvements in tone with the EXP74CM.

I will try heavy EXP strings next.

Sorry... this ended being pretty rambling. hahaha. I can't do this justice with words, I wasn't blown away with this mandolin at first, and now, I can't put it down and it is a lifer... never letting go of it. Blown away.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson-F5-MS-Standard-1.jpg 
Views:	556 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	149957

Attachment 149954
    Attachment 149955
    Attachment 149956
    Last edited by 9lbShellhamer; Sep-26-2016 at 4:01pm.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to 9lbShellhamer For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Gibson F5 Custom. 4 Month Review

Congrats on finding a great mandolin! Sounds liike a keeper for sure. I have noticed improvements in my Kelley over the 5 months I have had it and can't wait to see how it develops in more time.
    I have a Larrivee guitar also btw, a D60. Love it but needs setup work badly.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

4. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Another DH satisfied customer...yours looks great and your descriptions seem right-on...Hopefuly one day when I get over to that part of the country I can take her for a spin...sounds like you got your A-game bluegrass axe!

Good on you Brotha!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

6. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

I feel your excitement. I've had my DH F5G a few years now and still loving it. Best thing I did was a speed neck. I also added an abbreviated pick guard which I really like. And an arm rest. I also like the BC CT55 and the Exp74cm's on it. Its now my gigging Mando and the finish is really holding up well despite the tough conditions. Very tough finish, but it is a bit thick (which I learned on getting the speed neck).
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

8. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

i'm a little jealous

10. The following members say thank you to Kevin Shoup for this post:

From 9ldShellhamer - "...This thing has come alive! I don't really want to believe in opening up, etc..". I believe you,other's won't. It's all your 'imagination' - so the one's who've never heard it in their own instruments will say.

I've heard the same thing in 2 of mine,one i bought new & one was 'used' but more or less un-played. I'm pleased that the 'magic's' happened for you & it's quite amazing when it does - enjoy the dickens out of it,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

12. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

9lbShelhamer I don't know why you didn't want to believe in an instrument opening up but I'm glad you saw what we are talking about. You also addressed the oft made statement that a " bad" mandolin doesn't become good. The opening up, as you saw is the strong points becoming stronger. Hope you and your new mandolin share many happy years together.

14. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Ain't it great to find that one mandolin that will keep you happy forever? I feel the same about my Randy Wood F 5. Hope you keep being WOWZAed.
    Last edited by Denny Gies; Sep-27-2016 at 8:01am. Reason: misspelling

16. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I feel your excitement. I've had my DH F5G a few years now and still loving it. Best thing I did was a speed neck. I also added an abbreviated pick guard which I really like. And an arm rest. I also like the BC CT55 and the Exp74cm's on it. Its now my gigging Mando and the finish is really holding up well despite the tough conditions. Very tough finish, but it is a bit thick (which I learned on getting the speed neck).
    I'd actually like to do the same... I've always had a tone-gard, but I really think an arm rest would be nice, and I'd love a speed neck too since I know I'm keeping it...I just want to find someone to do it.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by 9lbShellhamer View Post
    I'd actually like to do the same... I've always had a tone-gard, but I really think an arm rest would be nice, and I'd love a speed neck too since I know I'm keeping it...I just want to find someone to do it.
    Lynn Dudenbostel (Sp?) outside of Knoxville Tenn did my speed neck and made and installed my abbreviated ebony pick guard. Also did a set up while it was there. Did a great job. Very nice fellow to deal with. Highly recommended.

I have the McClure armrest. Its great but I think he may have retired.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

19. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Astro,

Thanks for the pointers. I am not to far to far from Knoxville and travel to the Smokies regularly. Having someone like Lynn do the work would be sweet.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

21. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post:

Astro 

That particular custom model of the F-5g (as ordered by The Mandolin Store) has all the right appointments.

Reminds one of a lacquer-finished Master Model...

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Lynn Dudenbostel (Sp?) outside of Knoxville Tenn did my speed neck and made and installed my abbreviated ebony pick guard. Also did a set up while it was there. Did a great job. Very nice fellow to deal with. Highly recommended.

I have the McClure armrest. Its great but I think he may have retired.
    Doug Edwards still sells armrests and pickguards and others like always, I bought one last week. And Lynn Dudenbostel also has armrests in the classifieds, i bought one Saturday (haven't got it yet, but I'll have 4 armrests for 3 mandolins!)
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

24. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post:

Astro 

Just ordered the McClung. Can't wait to try it out! I think I chose a pretty good color to match it. We'll see!
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Just ordered the McClung. Can't wait to try it out! I think I chose a pretty good color to match it. We'll see!
    I have a McClung on my Ellis A and I love it !

27. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Mine arrived last week, it's great, only regret it I didn't bought one earlier!