Thread: Kentucky KM900 with "minor chip and crack..."

Default Kentucky KM900 with "minor chip and crack..."

...and no bridge. Listing describes bridge and shop adjustment.

www.ebay.com/itm/262588446757?euid=67e1427b4e684ae596d41217a77674d1 &bu=43203906846&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bum

So I sez:

No bridge pictured but one is described, as is set up.

Does mandolin arrive setup and ready to play?

And then they sez:

New message from: music123 (406,268RedShooting Star)
    This is a used item. The only information and pictures we have available are in the listing. If there are any issues with the item, it does carry the 30 day return policy. We will cover the shipping if there are any defects.
    Dear b*****

This is a used item. The only information and pictures we have available are in the listing. If there are any issues with the item, it does carry the 30 day return policy. We will cover the shipping if there are any defects.

So I got that cleared up.

Default Re: Kentucky KM900 with "minor chip and crack..."

Music123 is a warehouse , I believe, that ships from the same warehouse as Musicians Friend. If so the bridge may be included but unmounted. It also may be a restock in which case it could well be setup.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roger Moss For This Useful Post:

Hmmm, I did not know that. I am capable of installing/setting up a bridge.

Music123 is MusiciansFriend. Same company.

Here's the same mandolin on the MusiciansFriend website:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-...condition=used
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

6. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

So Mike do you agree the mandolin probably includes the bridge?

When these come from Saga, the bridge is not installed, so unless someone installed it, it would have been rubber-banded to the headstock on the outside of the bag the mandolin was in. Of course, that doesn't mean it wasn't lost along the way, so who knows.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

9. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

bob_mc 

I tried to pry info out of them, they weren't willing to look at the top and tell me if a bridge had ever been installed. So i got irritated, then i decided I didn't need another KM900.

You could ask for first 4 of serial number, that may be a varnish model (2011-ish to early 2012, i think)
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

11. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post:

bob_mc 

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    When these come from Saga, the bridge is not installed, so unless someone installed it, it would have been rubber-banded to the headstock on the outside of the bag the mandolin was in. Of course, that doesn't mean it wasn't lost along the way, so who knows.
    ...says the guy who is out of stock of these, so I continued to browse for one...

Looks like they just cut and pasted the description and so it included the line about the bridge and shop adjust. I found their response less then comforting. I was just window shopping and have sworn off ebay and mandolins after a huge problem better left unsaid (unless you search my other posts that is).

Probably a good idea to stay away from ebay. This is clearly a musicians Friend scratch and dent special. They often advertise shop setup in their descriptions but since they ship sealed boxes rather than instruments you can be sure they never are.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

The bridge might be there. Obviously it had one originally. The other side is maybe they had one with a bad bridge so they pulled it off one of their returns. It's still almost half price right? How much is a Cumberland bridge? If you get it and there's a problem you can return it. If I hadn't just bought another mandolin I might be interested. I've wanted one of these for a while myself.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by gtani7 View Post
    I tried to pry info out of them, they weren't willing to look at the top and tell me if a bridge had ever been installed. So i got irritated, then i decided I didn't need another KM900.

You could ask for first 4 of serial number, that may be a varnish model (2011-ish to early 2012, i think)
    The person you were talking with could have been a thousand miles away (or more) from the nstrument. They have warehouses in different parts of the country and their call center used to be in Medford, Oregon if I recall.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    The person you were talking with could have been a thousand miles away (or more) from the nstrument. They have warehouses in different parts of the country and their call center used to be in Medford, Oregon if I recall.
    I messaged them thru Ebay. I'm pretty sure there is no bridge.

It seems pretty riskless given the 30 day returns, but I've seen used 900 and 950's in the classifieds, they come up infrequently but they always seem well cared for, well set up and with hard cases, often with upgrades (tuner, CA bridge, refret, tailpiece, armrest, etc), all for usually not much more money.
    Last edited by gtani7; Oct-05-2016 at 11:46pm. Reason: more detail on upgrade
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

17. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post:

bob_mc 

Quote Originally Posted by gtani7 View Post
    I messaged them thru Ebay. I'm pretty sure there is no bridge.

It seems pretty riskless given the 30 day returns, but I've seen used 900 and 950's in the classifieds, they come up infrequently but they always seem well cared for, well set up and with hard cases, often with upgrades (tuner, CA bridge, refret, tailpiece, armrest, etc), all for usually not much more money.
    This is the route I am taking. And with some nerve damage and musical impediment (I am a guitarist), I do much prefer a radiused board of the 950.

With all of the quality sellers i.e Eldery, Mandolin store, Boyd's, etc etc. why would you buy one from ebay or musician freind, music 123, GC. The big box and warehouse stores aren't the best places to buy mandolin.
    Last edited by nickster60; Oct-06-2016 at 8:07am.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster60 View Post
    With all of the quality sellers i.e Eldery, Mandolin store, Boyd's, etc etc. why would you buy one from ebay or musician freind, music 123, GC
    I suspect the answer to that question is price and liberal return policy.
    Bill Snyder

They may be cheaper and have a nice return policy. But if you call Elderly or one of the other major mandolin shops they would be happy to look at the instrument and maybe even play you a diddy.

As far as price Elderly prices are only a little over big boxes and they inspect and set up instruments so getting a bad one is unlikely. If you just don't like it they will probably take it back.

23. The following members say thank you to Roger Moss for this post:

Nobody is concerned with the large crack??
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	150132

...says the guy who is out of stock of these, so I continued to browse for one...
    I don't order many of these at a time and most come in pre-sold.

their call center used to be in Medford, Oregon if I recall.
    For a long time, it was. The entire operation was there. I remember going to their Warehouse/Call center.

I believe the call center is currently in Utah, with the warehouse in Kansas City Missouri.

Guitar Center owns a good chunk of the major music stores and websites. Musicians friend, Music 123, Woodwind Brasswind, Music & Arts.

That mandolin looks like it may have been severely dehydrate (sitting in their warehouse too long?).
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    ...I believe the call center is currently in Utah, with the warehouse in Kansas City Missouri...
    Same situation. The person they are talking to isn't in the vicinity of the instrument. This could have come back for a whole lot of reasons. For the right price it still might be worth a look. You can send it back within 30 days if you buy from MF.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    As far as price Elderly prices are only a little over big boxes...
    Unfortunately this isn't quite right because the price difference can be considerable depending on the mandolin. My own experience is an example:

When I was looking to upgrade from my starter I knew I wanted an all-solid carved f-style as my main mandolin even though my budget was around $600. With that small amount of money I was planning on going used but because I'd had some experience setting up a few cheaper mandos that had passed through my hands I was willing to take a chance on ordering a new instrument from MF, especially considering the return policy. I wasn't in a hurry and was able to wait for an end-of-the-year sale and so grabbed a new model LM-500, with all of the features I was looking for, for less than $500 when everywhere else had them for about $750. The first one came in with a busted end pin which was really disheartening but the second arrived a couple of weeks later in fine condition. It was an easy decision at the time because that's nearly a 25% price difference and so even after all of the later upgrades listed in my sig it ended up making my final cost about what I would have paid for a stock mandolin elsewhere.

Would I do it again? Maybe, because through experience I've found that anything sub-$1500 would be a lateral move and so I feel I got a real bargain. I do actively encourage others to shop the small shops and my next upgrade will not be from a big box because I plan on making a step they won't be able to properly support or even carry so I will make up for my youthful indiscretions eventually.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Quote Originally Posted by LowNSlow View Post
    Unfortunately this isn't quite right because the price difference can be considerable depending on the mandolin. My own experience is an example:

When I was looking to upgrade from my starter I knew I wanted an all-solid carved f-style as my main mandolin even though my budget was around $600. With that small amount of money I was planning on going used but because I'd had some experience setting up a few cheaper mandos that had passed through my hands I was willing to take a chance on ordering a new instrument from MF, especially considering the return policy. I wasn't in a hurry and was able to wait for an end-of-the-year sale and so grabbed a new model LM-500, with all of the features I was looking for, for less than $500 when everywhere else had them for about $750. The first one came in with a busted end pin which was really disheartening but the second arrived a couple of weeks later in fine condition. It was an easy decision at the time because that's nearly a 25% price difference and so even after all of the later upgrades listed in my sig it ended up making my final cost about what I would have paid for a stock mandolin elsewhere.

Would I do it again? Maybe, because through experience I've found that anything sub-$1500 would be a lateral move and so I feel I got a real bargain. I do actively encourage others to shop the small shops and my next upgrade will not be from a big box because I plan on making a step they won't be able to properly support or even carry so I will make up for my youthful indiscretions eventually.
    I stand corrected. My experience was buying a Rover RM50 for $155 set up which was only $25 more than Amazon. I think the main point here is that you can get some pretty good bargains on sites like MF if you go with a scratch and dent option. They are usually guaranteed for 30 days so if it is just too messed up you can still send it back at their expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    I think the main point here is that you can get some pretty good bargains on sites like MF if you go with a scratch and dent option. They are usually guaranteed for 30 days so if it is just too messed up you can still send it back at their expense.
    Agreed. Before I'd become mando-obsessed I'd bought a couple of 'scratch and dent' guitars from MF and they were super cheap and surprisingly flawless.

Plus look at all of the guys losing their minds over in the $199 MK thread.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane