Thread: Loars for sale

Default Loars for sale

It kind of blows my mind that Carters has six of these. Is this normal for them, or are they not selling at the astronomical asking prices?

Are more owners just figuring to cash in? At what point does the law of supply and demand kick in?

My limit tops out at around a hundred grand LOL.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Loars for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    It kind of blows my mind that Carters has six of these. Is this normal for them, or are they not selling at the astronomical asking prices?

Are more owners just figuring to cash in? At what point does the law of supply and demand kick in?

A lot more for sale at other dealers now..Some have been sitting for years.

Tony Williamson of Mandolin Central had four or five for sale a year or so ago.

That hammered one is going to be a tough sell.
    Last edited by Charles E.; Oct-05-2016 at 8:44pm. Reason: added an 'e'
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Too many great playing, great sounding F5 choices these days for way under 10 grand. Why pay more?

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    Too many great playing, great sounding F5 choices these days for way under 10 grand. Why pay more?
    Too many great playing, great sounding A5 choices these days for way under 5 grand. Why pay more?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

This illustrates an interesting phenomenon where people think they have a gold mine despite evidence in the open market to the contrary. i wonder if this shows a market adjustment where Loar Gibsons drop to a more reasonable price.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Blog Entries

Not unusual. This discussion only exists because of that ad, but Loar signed models move in and out of CVG all the time. In 2014 I wrote this article about a visit to the store when it was brand new--they had 4-5 Loar instruments then. Not the same 4-5 in that ad placed today. I know of several that have arrived with owners, phone calls were made, new buyers show up same day and they're sold without ever hitting the floor for display. They always have the best--usually the only Loars in Nashville for sale--they've just highlighted it differently due to their new web site which allowed easy linking to them all. There is always a buyer, there's always a seller and it's a fascinating marriage. It's not nearly as mysterious as some think.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

It's strange in other ways. Usually,you find that rare / ultra expensive 'whatevers',are almost always in the hands of collectors (& musicians) & almost never reach what you might call the ''free market''. They're sold directly to other collectors via private sales,although some do come up for auction from time to time. So i can understand the puzzlement myself. It's as though one of the world famous auction houses suddenly had a glut of Rembrandts or Van Goughs for sale.

We've come to perceive the Lloyd Loar mandolins as ''costly & primarily exclusive'',so to see so many available for sale at the same time would seem a bit strange to most of us. However,for 'those in the know' such as Scott & instrument dealers,it might not be so odd,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Thanks for the illuminating discussion. Interesting. Are these mostly consignment sales, or are dealers carrying enormous dollar amounts in inventory? I guess Nashville has enough successful performers to have a robust trade in these.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Thanks for the illuminating discussion. Interesting. Are these mostly consignment sales, or are dealers carrying enormous dollar amounts in inventory? I guess Nashville has enough successful performers to have a robust trade in these.
    Just offering up a guess, but I would venture mostly consignment...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

I would add that both players and collectors of Lloyd Loar F5 mandolins have become very particular in the last 10 years or so. Only the cleanest, best sounding models from the most desirable signing dates seem to be moving.

14. The following members say thank you to Glassweb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    I know of several that have arrived with owners, phone calls were made, new buyers show up same day and they're sold without ever hitting the floor for display.
    Sit in on a conversation sometime between folks who deal in violins...
    Jaw dropping stories...
    This is one reason why we really don't know what these fiddles are going for--a lot of deals happen behind the curtains...

...and we're only dealing with a measly 200K here in Loar Land...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post: