Thread: Mission Statement

Default Mission Statement

This is going to be some long wind, so bear with me.

Last year was one of the worst in my life; my father passed away, our cat was killed (I had to watch him die), and my wife suffered a stroke. It was a lot to cope with but I managed to get through it. I reached a point where I wanted to express what I had gone through in music and I wanted to howl as I did it. So, what did I do? I went online and ordered an Epiphone Blueshawk Deluxe (already had an amp). I wanted to plug in, crank to 11, and wail away. The guitar arrived. I plugged in. I cranked it, and felt nothing; nada, hole of a donut, smoke ring in a strong wind. I tried and tried, but just didn’t feel it. I put it in the case, where it has sat for months, and I’m trying to sell it as I tap this. And then a couple of months ago a friend asked me if I had any mandolin music, as he was interested in getting one. And when he made that query a light went off in my head! Ten years before I had been interested in the mando myself but never pulled the trigger, and here was a friend of over 30 years considering acquiring one. Instead of burning a CD I bought him a copy of Hot Dawg and mailed it to him, and then I leaped onto the net and researched mandolins! Within days I was mad with MAS, and I was convinced I could achieve what I wanted acoustically with a mando; the tonality, the textures, the overtones.

This will be quite a leap for me but I am greatly looking forward to it.

In some ways, this is my history repeating itself. Ten years ago I wanted to express in music my Katrina experiences. I plugged in my Strat and wailed away and the same thing happened, I felt nothing. What did I do? I bought a Seagull 12 string (still regret selling it) and played it exclusively for three and a half years before switching to the Chinese Zhongruan (see pic). At present I’m trying to sell the Blueshawk and a Washburn archtop, but whether they go or not I’ll be ordering a mandolin next week. At this point I have no idea what I’ll be getting, as the selection for entry level mandos is bewildering, but the plethora of reviews here are helping me make my choice. If this works out I’ll probably be done with the guitar indefinitely (I’m holding onto a Gretsch Boxcar dobro, the only guitar I currently play). I think I’m in for a heck of a ride.

Eric

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EP ruaning.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	150138

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eppito For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mission Statement

Good luck. I have found that music, while it doesn't cure everything, is the best medicine there is. Wail on.
    Bobby Bill

4. The following members say thank you to bobby bill for this post:

G7MOF 

To my ear there's something about the tonal characteristics of the mandolin that express wells of emotion such as I do not hear in other plucked stringed instruments. It's a plaintive quality very hard to put into words, and I think that's what attracts me to it. I hope it allows you to express the deep feelings you are struggling to get out, which I believe is one of the most important functions of music (and art in general).

i wish you a wonderful journey... enjoy.... get frustrated some... and enjoy some more...
    John D

Blog Entries

Good luck on the journey. May it bring you some peace and an outlet.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Hey Eric,

While I am really sad to hear the circumstances that bring you here, we are happy that you joined up!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I went through several guitars over 25 years and then 17 ukuleles over a three-year period and last November landed on my one mandolin. Its the instrument I was meant to play but it took a long time to get here. I hope the mandolin is the same for you.
    2009 Phoenix Bluegrass

Welcome to a great new adventure, Eppito. The fact that you are already expresing symptoms of MAS is a really good sign.

Mandolins are great for getting out what you sometimes must get out. I am sorry to learn all you have lost, but hopeful that the right music will help you heal.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Eppito View Post

before switching to the Chinese Zhongruan (see pic).
    Wow, sorry about your bad year....but that's a lovely zhongruan!

Thank you everyone for all the kind words. I do think the mandolin, like the ruan, will be a pivotal instrument for me. Robert, if all goes well (it all depends on Hurricane Matthew, and where it may go next) I should be placing my order a week from today, as to what I’ll be ordering I’m still researching but it probably will be the Eastman 305…maybe.

Yes Alpine, the sonority of the instrument is like no other string instrument, which is what attracted me to the zhongruan [“jong – rhann”] seven years ago (see videos below). For five straight years it was the only string instrument I played, until I acquired the Washburn. And to think that the mando may help me express in a way that the electric could not really has me very excited and expectant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Mkl5cLWzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deuiOZTF-tE

This is the first time that I've heard a jongrhann...a really enchanting sound, and great playing. Thanks for posting and good luck on your mandolin journey...it's a great ride!

Mike
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35

Eric, There once was a fellow that had a whole lot of down feelings much like yours and he got relief by writing songs about what was/had happened to him...You may have heard of him, his name was Hank Williams...He lived most of the songs he wrote...

As Mo Bandy would say in a song that Bill Anderson wrote, "I`ve done everything that Hank Williams did except die"...Life is full of ups and downs and I wish you well...

Willie

Welcome to the mandolin and the café!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Quote Originally Posted by Eppito View Post
    Thank you everyone for all the kind words. I do think the mandolin, like the ruan, will be a pivotal instrument for me. Robert, if all goes well (it all depends on Hurricane Matthew, and where it may go next) I should be placing my order a week from today, as to what I’ll be ordering I’m still researching but it probably will be the Eastman 305…maybe.

Yes Alpine, the sonority of the instrument is like no other string instrument, which is what attracted me to the zhongruan [“jong – rhann”] seven years ago (see videos below). For five straight years it was the only string instrument I played, until I acquired the Washburn. And to think that the mando may help me express in a way that the electric could not really has me very excited and expectant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Mkl5cLWzk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deuiOZTF-tE
    Thanks for sharing your story and videos!

Looking forward to your report on your new mando and hearing what you get out of it.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Very good constructive outlet for venting your woes!... Welcome to the cafe. I am super in love with my Eastman MD305... You WILL be pleased.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobby bill View Post
    I have found that music, while it doesn't cure everything, is the best medicine there is.
    Yes. Ohhh yes. It lifts us up for a glimpse over those rocks blocking our way. If that won't help, nothing will.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Laughter is the best medicine...........unless you've got asthma, then it's Ventalin.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole