Thread: Need to replace Elite tuners

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Default Need to replace Elite tuners

Hey all... I have a set of Elite tuners on my Daley F5 that I need to replace. Anybody know if Waverlies or Rubners have similar spacing so drilling wouldn't be needed?

Default Re: Need to replace Elite tuners

Yes, they should be a drop-in replacement. If you use Rubners and want the Rubner bushings, which look nicer, they would have to reamed quite a bit larger. Not a big deal if you have the right tools.

Marty, I thought that the Elite tuners had three attachment holes and the Rubners and Waverleys had 5 - hence more holes will need to be drilled. Also what about the hole spacing?
    Nic Gellie

The spacing should be standard. Measure from the center of the post to the center of the next post. It should be 23.0 mm. They should be worm under. The Golden Age F style tuners have 3 screws, the Waverly tuners have 5 screws but 3 or those should be drop in. If you scroll down on the page for each tuner model you will see the specs for that tuner.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_...ning_Machines/
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    Marty, I thought that the Elite tuners had three attachment holes and the Rubners and Waverleys had 5 - hence more holes will need to be drilled. Also what about the hole spacing?
    Hole spacing is the same in my experience. Yeah, you'll have to drill more holes, but that's not a big deal, and I consider it reversible since the plates would cover the additional holes. Nobody's going to switch back to Elites, though. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Hole spacing is the same in my experience. Yeah, you'll have to drill more holes, but that's not a big deal, and I consider it reversible since the plates would cover the additional holes. Nobody's going to switch back to Elites, though. :-)
    I've seen people take the Waverlys off to sell the mandolin and reinstall the Elites. Just saying.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I've seen people take the Waverlys off to sell the mandolin and reinstall the Elites. Just saying.
    Sure, which is easier with Wav's because the screw holes should be the same. With Rubners, the new holes would be covered by the plates of the original tuners.

Changed the Elites on my Flatbush A to Rubners --- drop fit except for the screwholes --- what a breeze, the Rubners are very good.
    I have a hard time tuning my KM 950. The Gotohs, worm under, works in increments.
    Maybe a silly question : Can I just turn around an A style tuner or do I have to order "worm unders" ?
    Thomann has a great price ( 60$ ) for no frill Rubners ( shown as worm over )
    Jens

If you just turn around worm unders they will turn the wrong way. On an A style you might get by on the location of the knobs depending on the headstock itself.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I have a set of Golden Age Restoration tuners on my Brentrup and have not been all that pleased with them tho it may be possible that they were not installed correctly. I do love the way they look but prefer something that works smoothly and have been looking at Rubners. I will probably have my luthier take a look the next time I see her and see whether the GA's can be usable.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks for the input everyone. I decided on the Waverlies and have a new set on the way. I'm very excited about getting them installed. These Elites look like they saw some abuse and just don't work well at all-has been very aggravating. Bunk tuners can ruin the experience of a great mandolin IMO.

Had the Waverlies installed by our own Marty Jacobson on Friday... such a huge difference. It's not like I haven't had them on mandolins before. in fact, there is a set on my Heiden. Still, so smooth, so easy to tune, stays in tune so well. Just night and day!

13. The following members say thank you to Atlanta Mando Mike for this post: