Thread: 1913 Embergher No. 5 copy by Puglisi made for Rozmyslov in Russia

Default 1913 Embergher No. 5 copy by Puglisi made for Rozmyslov in Russia

Here is the video of my new old baby, 1913 Embergher model 5 based mandolin, made by Puglisi for Jacob Rozmyslov company in Russia and restored to perfection by Maestro Lorenzo Lippi in Milan.

Rozmyslov had a whole range of Roman mandolin ordered for his shop and had them advertised as "Roman Mandolins. The best copies of famous Maestro Embergher". The mandolin was unlabelled and the catalog didn't specify the maker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	emb-rus copy.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	150200Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M-burger.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	150203

The instrument without the special fingerboard (which was an optional extra) was the most expensive mandolin of Rozmyslov's stock and costed 50 roubles in 1913. Just to give you an idea how much was it in modern terms, my great-grand father in Russia earned about 60 roubles a month about that time and that was just enough to feed a family of 6 and pay the bills etc.

Puglisi stamp found on the inner side of the top during the restoration. It was noted by Mr. Lippi that mandolin is very well made, by someone very skilled and knowledgeable that is not typical for Catanese makers.

It would be a speculation, of course, but one such person was Francesco Olivieri. Originally from Catania he was working in Rome and I read somewhere that he had some talks with Luigi Embergher trying to establish the manufacturing of Embergher-style instruments in Catania. Perhaps that was him making a small run of Roman-style instruments for Rozmyslov at the Puglisi factory? The instrument recembles the ones actually made by Francesco Olivieri. Or, perhaps it was made by Michelangelo Puglisi, son of Giuseppe, a skilled craftsman and maker of fine violins? We won't probably know for sure. But the fact is that the instrument is fantastic in every way and sounds in par with real Emberghers.

An interesting feature is unusual, optional fretboard that has four longitudial cuts/grooves all the way through, the feature that I've only seen on couple of other high-level Puglisi instruments in Russia (also from the Rozmyslov lineage). Initially I had trouble understanding the purpose of these cuts and thought that perhaps it was just a fancy design feature. Now, after actually playing the instrument I know the reason why they were cut. It is actually a very interesting innovation. The rather fat and low set bar frets that almost fully sank in the fretboard and deep longitudial cuts right under the pairs of strings actually give musician the feeling of playing a fretless instrument! One can barely feel the frets when changing position but still being able counting them blind if needed, but the friction of frets when going up and down the fingerboard is almost non existing, which makes changing positions seamless. I think it is a great innovation, totally forgotten today, that can still be used in modern instruments for the same purpose.

And last, but not least. Many thanks to Maestro Lorenzo Lippi for agreeing to restore this instrument and for his unbelievable level of craftsmanship and taste. His restoration and setup is truly a work of art.

Last edited by vic-victor; Oct-09-2016 at 8:52pm.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vic-victor For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 1913 Embergher No. 5 copy by Puglisi made for Rozmyslov in Ru

The grooves in the fretboard:

Name:	grooves.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	150204

4. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

Nice find. I see you mention Rozmyslov as the distributor or retailer. I see at the top of the catalog pages that it says "Rimskiya Mandolins." Who or what is Rimskiya?

That sideways scalloping of the fretboard is very unusual. Is that mentioned in the catalog pages? I have seen scalloping between each fret on guitars but never that way. I guess it is under each string course?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi Jim. Rimskaya means Roman in Russian. Yes, catalog mentions fretboard "with the grooves" and here is the instrument I've seen for sale in Russia from the same catalog:

Name:	2968756507.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	150224

Thanks! So Rimsky-Korsakov had some Roman ancestors? Or is that a different Russian word?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Same word. Roman -Korsakov basically

10. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vic-victor View Post
    Same word. Roman -Korsakov basically
    DMIS.

Mick

BTW, Puglisi, who I've already held in high regard, moves another notch (fret) up in my esteem.
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I have a 5 bis copy made by Francesco Olivieri. It was restored by Kurt Decorte in Belgium. It is a very nice mandolin, but not in par with real Embergher.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	733.4 KB 
ID:	150238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	424.8 KB 
ID:	150239

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K. WONG For This Useful Post:

My compliments. Nice instrument and Kurt is a very good restorer. Giovanni Gioviale is pictured with a very similar mandolin to yours on this photo:

Name:	gioviale.png 
Views:	162 
Size:	692.6 KB 
ID:	150244

And this one also by Oliviery has a scratchplate inlay theme similar to my Puglisi:

Name:	Francesco_Olivie_4d406cc66c593.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	150245
    Last edited by vic-victor; Oct-11-2016 at 9:18pm.

15. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

Very nice Puglisi mandolin.
    Bona fide dilettante

17. The following members say thank you to plinkey for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Thanks! So Rimsky-Korsakov had some Roman ancestors? Or is that a different Russian word?
    "He wanted to be a Roman", writes Tolstoy on one of his introspective asides in War and Peace...
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vkioulaphides For This Useful Post: