Thread: Antoria headstock ID

Default Antoria headstock ID

I wonder if anyone who owns or has pics of Antoria mandolins might be willing to post pics of the logos, if you know the date (ish) and country of origin? I know that they were made in Japan in 70's and then Korea (and possibly elsewhere /) in later incarnations of the company.

I am particularly interested to be able to try and understand any distinguishing characteristics of the Japanese models in terms of the logo graphic style, and whether they may have used a pearloid inlay as they did on their electric guitars of the early-mid 70s. I have seen several versions of a logo but don't really have enough info to be able to match them up to origin or era of production.

Thanks!

Default Re: Antoria headstock ID

This is my old Antoria - it has a made in Korea sticker on the back of the headstock, and another sticker with what I assume is the model number 'HM6AM'.

Not sure of it's exact age, but I have had it for between 25 and 35 years (sorry I can't be more specific).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antoria.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	150211
    Colin Bakewell

Blog Entries

Default Re: Antoria headstock ID

As far as I am aware (during the 1970's and early 80's) they did not use any actual - real - pearl or abalone 'inlay'. They were all very thin 'slices' or veneers of material that was 'overlaid' and then thickly lacquered over. You can sand through them easily if re-finishing a headstock. They also used a variety of simple transfers (as above).
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.