Thread: Fiberglass Bowlback Mandolin Cases (again)

Default Fiberglass Bowlback Mandolin Cases (again)

Hi, everybody.

I’m new in the Cafè

I would like to ask you something about Eastman fiberglass bowlback mandolin cases.
    I know this subject has already been discussed before, but all the messages I found are very old (even from 2002) and maybe the case has been improved.

I have read that Eastman fiberglass bowlback mandolin cases, like gewa cases do, tend to fall backwards when you take out your mandolin. Obviously, that could be dangerous for the instrument. Does it also happen with Aranjuez fiberglass case or another Japanese fiberglass case? (I think Eastman and Aranjuez cases are the same product)

(A. Timmerman said here: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ses-from-Japan)

Please, I would like someone who has recently purchased an Eastman fiberglass case or another Japanese fiberglass case (as Aranjuez model) confirm or deny this information.

Thanks in advance,
    Dracir

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fiberglass Bowlback Mandolin Cases (again)

I have more than a few Eastman fiberglass bowl back mandolin cases. I am not sure I understand what you mean by the tendency to fall backwards. I haven't noticed it I don't think. I will pay some better attention next time.

I mine are a few years old, I don't have anything newer than 3 or 4 years. I really love them for storage and for transport of my bowls.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I was probably one of the first to get one. They sent me one when I was harranguing the Eastman rep. My main beef at that time was that the top tended to not stay open but slammed down. I think all it took was lengthening the ribbon that holds it. In any case, I have three of them at least and I keep my best bowlbacks in them. The only gripe I would have is that there is little storage for accessories.

OTOH I also have at least three of my favorite cases which are excellent. I bought them from an eBay seller called violinking who imported them from China. I don't know if anyone sells them any more but they were very good with storage, ample protection and came with multiple straps. They were sort of the bowlback equivalent to the Travelite cases.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	violinking_case.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	150294
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi, JeffD and Jim, and thank you for your answers.

JeffD, it is very difficult for me to explain what I mean (I'm not very fluent in English; I'm sorry ). With gewa bowlback cases, when you pick up your mandolin, the weight of the case (or the size of case’s base) it is not enough to remain standing. As a result, the case falls backwards.

Jim, you have convinced me. Otherwise, in this web (http://www.zenmusic.it/custodie-per-...so-blu-kg.html), you can purchase this kind of foam cases in three colors. But I live in Europe, in Spain, and here there is not fiberglass mandolin cases, maybe that's why I want a colorful eastman case

Dracir

Quote Originally Posted by Dracir AlRevés View Post
    Jim, you have convinced me. Otherwise, in this web (http://www.zenmusic.it/custodie-per-...so-blu-kg.html), you can purchase this kind of foam cases in three colors. But I live in Europe, in Spain, and here there is not fiberglass mandolin cases, maybe that's why I want a colorful eastman case
    I have a feeling that those Dogal cases you link to are better made than the ones I pictured. Dogal is an Italian string and accessory maker.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dracir AlRevés View Post
    Hi, JeffD and Jim, and thank you for your answers.

JeffD, it is very difficult for me to explain what I mean (I'm not very fluent in English; I'm sorry ). With gewa bowlback cases, when you pick up your mandolin, the weight of the case (or the size of case’s base) it is not enough to remain standing. As a result, the case falls backwards.
    Many many years ago I had a case (not a bowlback) that closed on my mandolin before I had it complete out, making that characteristic ding in the top. (I no longer single hand my instrument.)

The trauma of that incident! So I do relate.

That said, I haven't seen what you are talking about with my bowlback cases.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I have a fiberglass case I bought from Elderly Instruments, I don't remember the manufacturer, but I have not had the problem you mention, but maybe I just handle my case differently.

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    I have a fiberglass case I bought from Elderly Instruments, I don't remember the manufacturer, but I have not had the problem you mention, but maybe I just handle my case differently.
    If it was a fiberglass bowlback case it was an Eastman. I think that is all that Elderly carries.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Hi, everybody.
    A few days ago I received the eastman mandolin case.
    I am very satisfied with the purchase (with the case and the shop/company: elderly).
    As you said, the case don't tend to fall backwards when I take out your mandolin.
    Thank you very much for all your comments, LadysSolo, JeffD and Jim.

(I don't know what I must to do now. Do I have to mark the topic as closed?)