Thread: Eastwood Mandocaster--low volume E course

Default Eastwood Mandocaster--low volume E course

I recently acquired a not-new Easwood Mandocaster, which I really enjoy playing, but the volume of the E course, when plugged in, is significantly lower than that of the other strings. Is this typical of these instruments? Can it be remedied with a specific type of string? I'd be willing to upgrade the pickups, if possible, just to upgrade the instrument but especially if it would make a difference for the E strings. How difficult, if even possible, would that be?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Eastwood Mandocaster--low volume E course

No expert in this, but:
    - Try lowering the action - the strings get louder the nearer they come to the pickup, I believe.
    - Try one of the mandolinists' favorite pastimes: Test different strings...

I don't now any "patented recipe" for this problem, either.
    Mandolins: 1920s (?) Meinel & Herold Bowlback, 2006 Furch "Redwood MA-1" A5

Octaves: 2004 Fender FMO-66 Flat-Top, 2015 A. Karperien 5 String Electric

Banjos: 2007 Gold Tone IT-250F Irish Tenor, 1963 Vega Vox No. 1 Plectrum, 2016 Recording King RK-OT25 Clawhammer

Dave Sheets

On many electric instruments, the pickup coils are spring mounted, so adjusting the screws at the ends of the pickup will raise or lower the pickups. You can raise the treble end slightly relative to the bass side by doing this, which may help a bit. If the pickups are too low, they don't have much output, if they are too high, they will lose definition (sounding distorted or "mushy"). If they are way too high, they interfere with the strings of course. Part of the setup of an electric is adjusting pickup height, it's not hard. Adjust the pickups upward slowly, use your ears, and personal preference, to decide when the pickups have gotten too high.

Adjusting the action is a good idea as well, adjust the action first to get it playing the way you prefer, then adjust the pickup height to get the definition and balance of the pickups the way you want it.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

4. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

Thanks, Sheets and Martin----great advice!!

Some pickups have individual pole pieces you can adjust the volume for each string. If your pickup has a screw head under each string then you can adjust the whole pickup and the individual strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Yes, it is typical of those instruments. I've had a number of them through my hands. Solutions in order of how I'd approach. 1. Adjust pickup height. Don't necessarily raise treble side but lower bass side. Going for balance. 2. New electronics. Try 250K-500K pots. Audio pot on volume and linear pot on tone. 3. replace pickup. As long as you have steel strings on it then changing strings isn't going to make that big of an impact unless you are jumping up 3-4 sizes. ie: .009 to .012 These are the better of the entry level solid body electrics.

I often 'sense' its Physics ...

the thin E at high pitch just in not making much of an Image in the pickup Magnetic field

only a little steel, moving in small waves ..

CGDA tuning and string gages , really eliminates the issue ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I lowered the action as far as possible without creating buzz, and that did bring the volume up some, but not to the level I'd like. Pick up heights do not seem to be adjustable. I do like the idea of upgrading them to a pair that are adjustable, but I'm not sure how involved a job it is. I take it the pick guard plate comes off, and everything is under it. Desoldering and resoldering.

If I changed tuning and string gauge, I assume the nut and bridge slots would need to be enlarged also?

Pickup height is normally adjusted by the two outside mounting screws. If you attempt to tighten the mounting screws, and they are already snug, then there is no range to bring the pickups higher. In this case, you would need to do some makeshift pick guard modifications, or, the best thing to do is actually lower the neck in the body. With a bolt on neck, this is actually a pretty simple process.

Unscrew neck. make a mark for how much you need to take off and touch it to a belt or disk sander. You could also do it with a hand plane, chisels, file, whatever... Just try not to round it. Next, check the depth of your screw holes and deepen them or shorten the screws if needed. Bold back up, readjust the bridge height and intonation.. If there is room under the pickups to lower them, how much you take off the neck is not ultra critical. If the pickups are 100% fixed and can't be lower, you need to get the neck just right.

You may be able to find some taller pickups, but it is hard to say.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Are the pickups screwed into the body? if so unscrew (it/them) and put a shim under the pickup to raise it up.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineDave View Post
    I lowered the action as far as possible without creating buzz, and that did bring the volume up some, but not to the level I'd like. Pick up heights do not seem to be adjustable. I do like the idea of upgrading them to a pair that are adjustable, but I'm not sure how involved a job it is. I take it the pick guard plate comes off, and everything is under it. Desoldering and resoldering.

Yes, if you can use a soldering gun then this is easy. Replace the pots at the same time. The problem you may encounter is finding a pickup that matches the opening. I was thinking that those had an odd sized pickup. Try guitarfetish for some good, low cost pickups.

Based on pictures on the net there are mounting screws on each end of the pickups. If you can't raise the treble side, try lowering the bass side to get the balance you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
    Based on pictures on the net there are mounting screws on each end of the pickups. If you can't raise the treble side, try lowering the bass side to get the balance you need.
    Although I do like the idea of a general upgrade, this sounds like the simplest solution to try first. I think it will involve removing the pick guard to get at the attachment ends of the pickups, which will need shims--maybe neoprene washers-- between their upper surfaces and the underside of the pick guard to effectively lower them and keep them tightly in place. This also would give me a look at the underside works, taking the edge off the fear factor in preparation for a future upgrade.

You guys have really helped me a lot, especially the reassurance that there is not something wrong with this particular Mandocaster. I'm going to wait for one those upcomming long winter days to tackle the upgrade.

Thanks much!

Quote Originally Posted by thistle3585 View Post
    Yes, it is typical of those instruments. I've had a number of them through my hands. Solutions in order of how I'd approach. 1. Adjust pickup height. Don't necessarily raise treble side but lower bass side. Going for balance. 2. New electronics. Try 250K-500K pots. Audio pot on volume and linear pot on tone. 3. replace pickup. As long as you have steel strings on it then changing strings isn't going to make that big of an impact unless you are jumping up 3-4 sizes. ie: .009 to .012 These are the better of the entry level solid body electrics.
    How about rotating the pickups 180 degrees? The low G string would then have the weaker part of the pickup.

I use .013's for the E's on my Mandobird. And have an Almuse aftermarket pickup with adjustable poles. And I shimmed up the whole pickup.

The advice to adjust the pickup is probably your best solution.

Make sure you are using steel electric mandolin strings as opposed to bronze. the bronze blocks the magnetic field from the pickup.

If you are using steel strings, try finding a set with thicker strings all the way around. Thin strings will sound thin.

D'Addario EMJ74 and EMJ75 work well.

I had the same issue with my Mandocaster - the A was noticeably too loud and the E was too soft. I tried different gauge strings (12 on the E and 11 on the A), lowered the height of the E and raised the A. Still didn't fix it. I was about to order new pickups when I saw a post about trying small neodymium magnets stuck to the top of the pickups. Since the alternative was to trash the existing pickups, I figured I had nothing to lose. I ordered a variety pack of small neodymium magnets on Amazon ($15) and experimented with different combinations, placing one under each string. I settled on placing one 8x2mm magnet under the E, D and G string on the pickup nearest the neck, with no magnet under the A. I also put one 8x2mm magnet under the E on pickup nearest the bridge. It works great now - I can't tell a difference in volume from one string to the next.

A few tips:

Once I got the combination I liked, I tested it for a while. I used tape to hold the magnets in place so they wouldn't dislodge. I just put a piece of tape over the entire pickup and magnets. Once I decided this worked, I removed the tape and put the magnets back in place with a small drop of superglue designed for metal and plastic. Be careful to get the magnets facing the right side up before gluing in place. They have stayed in place with no problem.

The magnets are, of course, magnetic, so they like to attach to metal strings and to the wrong position on the pickups, but that was easily overcome with patience.

The pickup nearest the bridge is higher/closer to the strings than the pickup nearest the neck. Make sure the magnets have enough clearance from the strings so there's no buzz.

20. The following members say thank you to TC4496 for this post:

Remember to not get the strings too close to the pickup as it can pull the string sharp from the magnetic pull. Which is probably why someone suggested lowering the bass instead of raising the treble.