Thread: No mandolin content—ca. 1852 Ashborn guitar

Default No mandolin content—ca. 1852 Ashborn guitar

I know a lot of you double- or triple-up on instruments, so I thought I'd show off my recently acquired James Ashborn guitar, ca. 1852. I got this from an estate sale on ebay. For once, I was the only bidder and got it for the start price. It's in immaculate condition. Front is spruce, back and sides are probably butternut and rosewood laminate, neck is something similar. Fretboard is ebony, of course, and the densest quality of ebony I've ever played. Except for the treble side tuners and likely the string pins, it's all original and, in some ways, the easiest-playing guitar I've ever owned. This is a Panormo-style guitar, as Ashborn was an English immigrant with excellent skills. When it arrived, I had to do nothing to it except put some Aquila nylguts on it. There are couple of very small cracks on the back, but my luthier said they were so minor to bring it back in hundred years when it might have a real problem. For more on him, his unique manufacturing practices that enabled him to compete with one C. F. Martin, and his guitars, see https://www.vintageguitar.com/3298/james-ashborn/
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.JPG 
Views:	342 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	150598Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sides.JPG 
Views:	186 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	150599Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	150600

2. The following members say thank you to Scot63 for this post:

Default Re: No mandolin content—ca. 1852 Ashborn guitar

Very cool.

Very cool indeed - condition looks immaculate for the age!

5. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Scot63 

that's a beautiful instrument, and a very informative read from vintage guitar. My initial thought when I saw this guitar was how closely it resembled the martins of that era and after reading I now have an idea as to why. Great addition to your collection
    Andy McAllister

'08 Michael Kelly Legacy Elegante'
    '09 Epiphone EJ 200-CE

7. The following members say thank you to ajm2qc03 for this post:

Scot63 

Tavy, it is very nearly immaculate. One repaired top crack (visible in pic above in the lower left bout) and two nonflexing cracks on the back (not visible). After doing nothing in terms of setup, it intonates perfectly up and down the neck. I'll post a sound file someday soon.

That is awesome!

How is it braced? I have a c.1860 "no-name" (for which I paid $50 after someone pulled it out of an attic) with X bracing, which was C F Martin's style, but pretty uncommon. Most guitars of that vintage had straight transverse "ladder" bracing, or in the case of Spanish-influenced instruments, fan bracing.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Hi, Allen, it is fan-braced, in the Spanish style. Probably a whole lot like contemporaneous Panormo instruments in many respects.

12. The following members say thank you to Scot63 for this post:

Lovely! And yes, it looks alot like the 1820's Panormo I used to own, except in the colour of the binding, and the lack of MOP points at the ends of your bridge. Body was solid Brazilian rosewood, though I think maple was more common back then. Came to me from a family that had had it since the turn of the 20th century, with a label from a Calgary music store of that era. Played and sounded great after some work done by a very fine luthier here.

It had its original Baker machine heads-- beautifully made and still working perfectly, though the ivory buttons were an issue when I sold it. What are the heads on your guitar?

14. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

Scot63 

Neat! Where did your Parnomo get off to? I bet it was really something. The tuners on the bass side are unique to Ashborn, I think, and made by a local machinist. Ashborn also patented a tuner design that apparently appeared on some of his banjos (also highly prized) and infrequently on his guitars. This tuner is not one of the patented one, though the attached picture shows you just what this nicely working tuner looks like (this is from a different Ashborn I found on the web). On the treble side is something entirely different—not sure what, but they are very old.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuners.JPG 
Views:	209 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	150684

16. The following members say thank you to Scot63 for this post: