Thread: Gravity Picks

Default Gravity Picks

Anyone use these? I'm looking at the website and it's hard to figure out which size I need. I'm looking at the Striker and Stealth shapes (large triangle), but I'm not sure if I would go with the Standard size or the XL. I want something the same size and shape as the Wegen TF 140, Blue Chip TAD, Fender 346, Prime Tone large triangle, etc.

I'm going to pick up a couple of the acrylic picks. Anyone have any feedback on these?

I'm also thinking about getting one of the Gold Series. How do these compare to Blue Chips?

Default Re: Gravity Picks

I looked at the Gold ones on their site. It looks like the edges are just rounded and not beveled which could be fine if you prefer that but they would not be exactly like Wegen or BC.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0721.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	471.1 KB 
ID:	150862
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I got a few about a month ago. So far I really like them. I got three different sizes - for me the mini's are too small. The largest size (which is still smaller than a GG or Bluechip). I got them in 2.0 mm which feels thinner than my 2.0 mm Wegens.

Thanks for the responses. The bevel is not a problem for me. I don't really like the right hand bevel on Wegens or Blue Chips (I get the round bevel option on the BCs).

Sounds like I should order the XL size (instead of "Standard") for the large triangle shapes.

I answered my own question with respect to size. The XL has the same dimensions as the "large triangle" we are used to (Wegen TF, Blue Chip TAD, Fender 346, etc.)

I have about 9 of the acrylics (Strike, sunrise, Tripp) and 1 gold Sunrise from Sweetwater. I've been playing the Gold model a lot, i like it, very good at tremolo which is rare, very precise for 6 string on all 3 corners, haven't tried on bass guitar or violin yet and I haven't tried it with the amp models on Garage Band either, just playing unplugged. But just the right slipperiness with tone.

Hard to compare to BC and Red Bear and Wegen because hte Gravity's i bought have such sharp points. I did also get 2 or 3 unfinished bevels which are really rough, like you'd want to spend some time sanding them, I'm pretty sure, to your bevel.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

That's okay, I haven't tried any picks on any of my violins or violas yet either...

8. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

To me the Gold are very similar to the Dunlop 500 series.. good picks but not that 'High End'

I have a few that i bought from the UK supplier. The 'standard' size is definitely smaller than a Blue Chip and Large Tri Primetone, so go 'XL'. I've only tried the Axis, Striker and Tripp shapes, in varying thicknesses... overall i have found the Striker and Tripp in 1.5-2mm to my liking. They do offer a rough bevel to their picks as opposed to a smooth one, but i find the rough bevel produces too much pick noise. None of them really 'wowed' me though. Despite the variety of options they provide, where acrylic picks are concerned, i would say i prefer pointed V-Picks over Gravity.

The Gold Series picks are definitely something else though. The Gold Tripp is a very recent acquisition of mine and so far i like it very much. Definitely louder than a Blue Chip and with surprisingly little pick noise, very much on par with the Hawk SB Pick. When i first picked it up to play i was quite blown away by the volume. That said, it does have its downsides for me. I'm not totally enthralled by the deep bevel (i prefer the right-hand bevels of the BC, Wegen, Primetone etc) and the Tripp is very sharp. A Striker might have been a better choice in retrospect, but as this is one of the more costly picks i only wanted one... so i decided to benefit from the different edges the Tripp offered. I would also say it is too much on the small side for my tastes. I am more used to (and personally prefer) the large triangular picks i mentioned above... and i wish they did it in their larger 'XL' size.

Despite my small grumbles, i do play the Gold Series Tripp a lot because it does pack a punch. I switch up my picks often according to what i feel like. It has become one of my favourites... but it hasn't beaten the BC, Hawk, Wegen or Primetone outright for me. Yes it is louder than most of those, but if i feel like using a louder pick with little pick noise that is also comfortable to hold, i feel i would favour the Hawk overall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100643 (1).jpg 
Views:	669 
Size:	796.4 KB 
ID:	150893
    Last edited by Kalasinar; Nov-02-2016 at 3:07pm.
    Paul Shippey Tone Mandolin
    Paul Hathway Octave Mandola
    Montana Lutherie Ranger Mandolin
    Yamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit

I ended up getting two XL Strikers at 1.5 and 2mm thicknesses (acrylic with the polished bevel).

Then for the heck of it I got a 1.5mm Striker from the Gold Series. Like you said, they don't offer an XL for the Gold Series so I got the standard hoping I won't be bothered that it's a little smaller than the usual large triangle. I did hear from Chris from Gravity and he said they'll start offering the Gold Series in XL sizes after NAMM in February.

Ah excellent, that is good news, thanks for enquiring about the possibility of Gold Series XLs. The standard size is tolerable and definitely not the smallest pick i have... but i am too spoilt by the comfort of large triangle picks! A little late for me as the purchase of one is enough for a long while (they are so durable), but its great to know the option will be there at some point. Enjoy your new picks!
    Paul Shippey Tone Mandolin
    Paul Hathway Octave Mandola
    Montana Lutherie Ranger Mandolin
    Yamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit

I just ordered a couple more 3 mm and 4 mm Axis picks, standard size. Supposed to be the largest. I have a couple 2.0 mm minis (Axis and Striker) with the eliptical grip hole, free to a good home (preferably US only because mailing is easier). They are too small for me. PM me your address if interested. Or I'll be happy to add them to the sampler, whoever is heading that up.

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Gravity Gold Series picks are my favourites. I own a Blue Chip too, but I use the Gravity picks much more often. They seem to sound brighter and I feel comfortable with the shape and size. Unlike many contributors here, I prefer smaller "Jazz" picks. The Razer shape in the Big Mini size works well for me.

Gravity's new series of thin picks sounds really nice too. They're worth a try.

The only things I don't like about Gravity picks are that they've started calling themselves Gravity GUITAR picks and added a logo that I find ugly. Can't fault the sound at all though!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    I just ordered a couple more 3 mm and 4 mm Axis picks, standard size.
    Well it took 10 days for the USPS to get my picks from CA to WA, and 9 of those were here in WA! Anyway these are my new favorite picks. Loud, bright and exceptionally clear sounding. No click noise at all. I never really got what everyone else likes about blue chips, mine just don't work or sound any better than a good Dunlop gator. Wegen M series, specifically M250 have been my favorites, and I will likely still use them where I may not want a bright sound. But if I still love these Gravity's after this weekend like I do now I'll probably get a couple for every case.

Hi.

I'm new (to fretted instruments) and trying not to be extra about accessories (like when you're a viola player and you keep accidentally reading your music as though it was alto clef... with a c-string.... let's not get too worked up about picks) BUT...

I tried out a variety pack from Dunlop and liked the Jazz III but found it ever so slightly too small. I go back and forth between that and larger thick tortex (maybe? it's 1.0 mm and a medium shade of blue with a turtle printed on it) but my teacher urges the Jazz because I have tiny hands (I made it on the viola because I have a disproportionately large reach with my pinky).

I discovered by a series of Google searches that the Gravity striker/mini is a diameter *exactly* in the middle of the two picks I've been using so I'd like to try it out. I really like the thickness of the Jazz III, which is listed at 1.38 mm.

I see the thinnest the Gravity comes is 1.5 mm. I see in search results from this forum a LOT of you like the 3mm. Would you suggest I try the 1.5 and the 2.0? 3 seems a little thick - but if people really find that a nice gauge, I will keep my mind open (and go up to 2.0 lol).

Thanks in advance.

-Heather

PS hope it's ok to throw this in this conversation - it seemed close enough that I ought not start a new thread for it.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

I don't want to go against your teachers advice out of respect for her position... but... I've never heard anyone say that small handed players should use small diameter picks. I have small hands and use big triangular picks (Wegen TF120/140, BC CT55, Gravity Striker XL) and they work fine in my hands.

I think 1.5mm is a great thickness for picks. I'd start there for sure! And I like Gravity picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    I don't want to go against your teachers advice out of respect for her position... but... I've never heard anyone say that small handed players should use small diameter picks. I have small hands and use big triangular picks (Wegen TF120/140, BC CT55, Gravity Striker XL) and they work fine in my hands.

I think 1.5mm is a great thickness for picks. I'd start there for sure! And I like Gravity picks.
    Thanks. I had stiff hands today too - I think he was just trying to think of things to try in case there was a physical reason other than just being a beginner (he said my right hand work was good today anyway but I felt like it was better last week).

Going to order a couple of 1.5 and maybe one 2.0 out of curiosity.

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1.5 is a good starting point. They do thinner picks, too, though. The Gold Series and Thin Picks ranges come in 1 mm or less, and are made of different materials as well. They're all worth a try.