Thread: What manner of beast is this?

Default What manner of beast is this?

I think this is rather adorable and thought, at first, that it was a six-course mandolin with what might be a regrettably short scale. And it might be, but look how that nut is cut, in pics 1 and 3: it looks like the middle strings might be triple courses, like a tiple. Any ideas? Also, I sure hope those bolts are keeping the neck on . . . http://www.ebay.com/itm/302124217678...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Default Re: What manner of beast is this?

It's a 12 string mandolin - 4 courses of 3, tuned GDAE.

Here's one I restored earlier:

BTW I wouldn't touch that one with those wood screws - IMO no screw like that will withstand the pull of 12 strings.

3. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

Scot63 

Yes, it is also missing the bridge saddle. Those screws holding the neck on are probably not original. That could corroborate what John says above. With 12 strings the neck probably separated at some time in the past.

BTW O. Pagani was a music store and publisher and probably had this mandolin made under their label but one of the Greenwich Village, New York luthiers possibly Raphael Ciani.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Scot63 

Thank you, Gentlemen!

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Nice looking mandolin, Scot. I think Jim's suggestion is about as close as we might come to id-ing this.

The front side resembles many a nice Bruno labeled mandolin, which iiic came out of the Oscar Schmidt works who had various in-house and out-sourced connections with Ciani and other quasi-independent Italian American luthiers. Could this be called a "Ciani"?
    No doubt after this discussion somebody might, but that would be muy muy sketchioso.

Our good friend, Sheri Mignano, is patiently, lovingly and relentlessly compiling a library of old sheet music from the early 20th from publishers such as O. Pagani. Her thread with this invaluable material is a fabulous resource.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

8. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Scot63