Thread: 1924 A Jr. Snakehead Pickguard Identification

Default 1924 A Jr. Snakehead Pickguard Identification

I recently bought an 1924 A Jr. that came with a pickguard. I'm not sure if it's original, but it's in great shape. I'm not a pick guard user, so I am looking to sell it through the classifieds, but want to be able to give potential buyers an accurate description of it.

The guard itself has a "PAT.30.MAR.'09" stamp

The bracket has a "PAT.JULY 4.1911" stamp

It's in great condition save one little ding in the top of the guard. It's very sturdy and quite dark. I assume its some sort of plastic, not TS, but have no familiarity with these things.

Is this original? I am attaching a few pictures if that will help.

I know there is some restrictions between classifieds and posts on the forums, so I apologize if I am crossing any lines here, just looking for more information.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4634.jpeg 
Views:	138 
Size:	979.8 KB 
ID:	151010

Name:	IMG_4637.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	228.8 KB 
ID:	151011

Name:	IMG_4638.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	281.3 KB 
ID:	151009

Thanks very much,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

Default Re: 1924 A Jr. Snakehead Pickguard Identification

This looks like the original pickguard. Even tho you don't like to use them, it would be nice to keep it with the mandolin it belongs to. A future owner would appreciate having it I am sure. I know I would.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I have a late 24 Ajr with all original parts, the pickguard and clamp images you provided appear identical to those on my instrument. I agree with pops1, it would be good for posterity to keep the original components with the instrument, even if unused and in storage until the instrument passes hands to a new owner. When I 1st took possession of my Ajr, I was no fan of the pick-guard, and carefully took it off. Later, after playing other instruments with pick-guards and getting over the whole issue, I re-installed the pickguard back onto the Ajr. I do not use pickguards as a right-hand anchor; I see them essentially as a redundant component, but I recognize that many people use or need them, and that they do offer protection from zealous picking etc. Regardless of whether you use pickguards or not, with these vintage instruments I feel an obligation to maintain their integrity at the level at which I had received them - and retaining any original components if I were to make modifications or repairs. I do this for the sake of historical continuity and (echoing the sentiment by pops1) for the potential appreciation/use of the instruments future owners. I can still remember the thrill when I 1st came across an intact vintage Gibson A2, marvelous!

It's celluloid, and there are two pins (like small nails) that are probably stuck to the side of the neck of the mandolin that should be attached to that guard. The clamps are hard to come by. This thread shows what the pins look like.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    It's celluloid, and there are two pins (like small nails) that are probably stuck to the side of the neck of the mandolin that should be attached to that guard. The clamps are hard to come by. This thread shows what the pins look like.
    As Mike says, because it is celluloid leaving it in a case that seldom gets opened can destroy it. They seem to off gas and left, at this vintage, closed up can spontaneously combust. I have read about instruments discovered being burnt when opening the case. If you choose to not uses it, leave it where it can get some air, and don't seal it in a bag or case.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks for the info everybody. It looks like it only has one pin, which is indeed lodged in the side of the neck. Is it removable from the neck or is it glued in there? How would I go about getting it out?

While I agree that an instrument with its original accessories is nice, I'm not really in the business of selling instruments, and it seems like there are people out there that would enjoy this pickguard more than I ever will.

Thanks,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

Typically its a pressed in fit, no glue.. just a common nail with the head cut off.

the plastic can be reproduced , the clamp seems to be on the classifieds occasionally,
    but as this is about selling things.
    it quickly becomes something you should post there ..after researching the archives and eBay to see what others sold for.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Try pulling the pin out with pliers.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

10. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post: