Thread: 6 strings - why bother?

Alex K

Default 6 strings - why bother?

So I have been happily playing my tenor for 15 months. I tune my Ozark DGBE and sing classics from the 20s, 30s and 40s, happily strumming and Travis-picking along.

Then, after a year, I start asking myself whether I should just 'go normal' and shift to 6 strings. Is it guitar acquisition syndrome? Is it because a song really needs those bass notes? Or is it just because I am tired of being called a ukulele player or being asked why I have a toy guitar? Or because I just want everything to be bigger?

The devil voice even tells me which guitar I should buy. She's a sweet solid-top mahogany OOO size beauty with stellar reviews and she's going for 200 euros.

But then my guardian angel tells me that there's no point moving from 4 to 6 strings. My tenor balances my voice nicely if I play softly and overpowers it if I strum hard. On my Ozark tenor I can easily play tight, close jazz harmonies with 6ths, 7ths and 9ths. Would I be able to get beyond the basics on a 6-string guitar?

And the bass strings? Here's the crux of the matter, and the result of some serious scientific research. Well, I took a sample of Beatles tunes and calculated that the average chord on a 6-string guitar only uses 4.5 strings and mutes 1.5, usually the basses. So I'd be learning muting and a whole new set of chord shapes just for an extra 0.5 strings per chord. Basically the move from tenor to standard means adding two strings and then contorting the left hand to mute them again. And even if I do play a bass string it would only be doubling another string an octave down. Maybe I'd want that occasional oomph in the bass if I weren't singing - but I am.

So what's the point of a 6-string guitar, apart from wanting to follow the herd?

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Default Re: 6 strings - why bother?

I know what you mean. Five maybe but six is extravagant imo. Lol.

Here's my take on why I prefer four courses in general - as a songwriter I find the more options I have the less I concentrate on songwriting. When I was a keyboard player I was at my happiest when I just had an early sample playing keyboard and a drum machine. Maybe a basic hardware sequencer.
    I wrote more with that limited pallet than I ever did with keyboard workstations or soft synths. I'd just end up preset surfing.

So having a more ltd pallet forces me to focus on dynamics and structure - and above all just getting on with it. It's very liberating. The tendency with more options is to be too into being clever. That's just my view!

But like you I still lust after six strings occasionally - just not standard tuning
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

3. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

ARK 

Blog Entries

I tune my four in 5ths so it's a different voicing and approach & not lacking anything if approached as that.
    The much more open and clear chord voicing is a core reason for my choosing to play one.
    I never really could get my head around any long-term advantage in playing a tenor if it's just tuned like highest 4 on a guitar. Like you're finding, it's really just a guitar lacking strings like that.
    But CGDA is a different mindset and sound, which I much prefer to the full or fat & more muddied sound of six strings in 4ths.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Beanzy For This Useful Post:

I love CGDG personally

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    My band's website

I like the variety of music that I can play on both 4 and 6 strings. I love the lyrical quality of playing melody lines on my tenor guitar (always CGDA tuning, by the way) - and I love the depth and intricacy I can get, should I want to, on my 6-string guitars.

Oddly enough, I've never had the desire to own anything other than my one tenor guitar - but have several 6-string instruments, which I use for different reasons. So, here's an example of why I bother with 6 strings...

Cheers,

Will

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WillFly For This Useful Post:

I suppose I approached the question slightly differently: since I'd started with 6 strings, I was recently wondering if I still needed them any more. When I lift my Martin 6 String dreadnought off it's wall hook (I love having my instruments on the wall!) I certainly feel a few parts of my body protesting at the weight, and I realise what a joy it is to have the tenor and the bouzouki also because they so much lighter. However, six strings can also be light, and it's my fault for buying a heavy one. I actually never used the Martin hard case as it did my tennis elbow and arthritis in. And that's another advantage of four strings - it's much easier on the hands and wrists if you suffer from pains in the joints and tendons. I used to sometimes play DADGAD because I loved the open sound and playing up and down the neck, but it felt like hard work. I was guided towards Irish Bouzouki by a Luthier (if we can include bouzouki as 4 strings...?)and found I could achieve a similar sound with less/no pain.Tenor guitar also has the advantage, as mentioned of offering tuning in 5ths to give that open sound. And yes, going back to standard tuning on a six string can sound a bit muddy by comparison.... But it does give more fullness and depth, and more possibilities for finger picking, including the bass notes you mention, and my DRS1 has such a mellow, liquid tone with lovely sustain and some surprising overtones, there is no comparison really with the tenor's I have played.
    I was considering selling the 6 string, but then I played it again, and realised it's earned it's place on my wall. Without going overboard, it's nice to have a choice of instruments, and they look nice together
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"

Ironically all this thread has done is make me want a better six string lol
    I have my eye on two and will visit the luthier tomorrow if I feel better.
    But then again I do love tenor.
    When I got my cittern it was tuned DADGD (so essentially DADGAD). It sounded fantastic. Possible to ape it on a tenor eg DADG (low>high)? Just a thought

My band's website

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

This being predominately a tenor guitar section I feel it might not be the best to rave about just 'how much' I love six strings in 4ths but, I don't really get 4 strings in 4ths... it just seems to me you might as well play six!
    Tenor guitar in 5ths well.. I am still very much learning but yep, I love that too.
    Last edited by fox; Nov-10-2016 at 7:32am.

Lets drop the 4's and 6's and expand as far as we can, lets all play the piano. Many strings, many options, no drawbacks. Little keys to press upon, and you don't have to carry anything over your shoulder to your next gig.

dc

But if you have to transport a piano, that's some dam hard work!... :D

Personally now I've moved on to OM and recently a Banjo I don't feel the need to go back to 6 strings. Guess it depends what you want to play and the amount of base and tone you want.

Perhaps you could get a fairly good second hand 6-string guitar. That way you have it around if/when you need it, but hopefully won't need to spend that much money.

If you find yourself not playing it, you can sell it or donate it to charity.

I just did that with some instruments I don't have time or desire to play any more.

Really glad they will be used by young people who can't afford conventionally priced lessons in the UK or the instruments.

Anyway I digress!

Cheers,
    Jen.

Oops.

See signature.

My band's website