Thread: Mando Banjo setup

Default Mando Banjo setup

Hi all,
    I have this 1911 Weymann mando-banjo which needs some TLC. I don't know about banjo set-up, so I don't know what the tension is supposed to be on the head. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Default Re: Mando Banjo setup

Evenly tight so the bridge doesn't sag into the head, or if so only very slightly. Remember it is a banjo, I like two sets of tenor banjo strings. If not use a light set, it mellows it out and sounds better.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

As Pops noted, even tension all the way around is critically important. Also, if you have loosened the tension, tighten all hooks finger tight with the tension hoop even all the way around the rim. Then use the wrench to tighten each hook only a quarter turn, then tighten each hook another quarter turn, etc, etc, until you get 'tight enough'. If you get the tension hoop even slightly off level, it can bind. Try Banjo Hangout for tips on how to guesstimate 'tight enough' head tension.

When you tighten start at 12 o'clock then 6 then 1 then 7 then 2 then 8. You get the idea. Don't go from one to the next around the pot. Don't get carried away, snug it all up and go 1/4 turns round and round. As you get it tight I snap my finger on the edge all the way around listening for the sound of the head. I try to get it the same, lower is loose, higher is tighter. Try to stay the same distance from the rim when you snap. You can also feel the give, but don't necessarily go by how hard the lugs tighten as the threads may be causing it to feel harder and you may think it is tighter when it is only the threads.
    Last edited by pops1; Nov-16-2016 at 12:04pm.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

5. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I know this won`t help much but Bill Emerson once told me when I asked him how tight does he tighten his banjo heads his reply was, "Tighten them until just before they split"... I guess you would have to know Bill to understand his remarks...

Hi, thanks all! I feel somewhat more confident now. I did bend on two sets of tenor banjo strings, and it sounds great. I appreciate your help!

Rather than a re Notched regular flat banjo bridge, the same sort of offsets for intonation as other mandolin bridges
    may warrant a purpose made bridge..

I have become a local climate realist and so Remo synthetic Heads Make sense

Renaissance , Fiberskyn, bittom frosted white.. Top frosted, of course, wears Off with use ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture