Thread: My dream room is finally finished!

Default My dream room is finally finished!

Hi folks,

It's me again, your friendly music teacher over in GA. In case you don't remember or you never saw these threads, I'm the one who you helped get the mando stand by donating to my Donors Choose project and then the next year you voted up another project for some guitars (that I ended up winning). Since then I've acquired a few more nicer mandolins: a Michael Kelly F style and four KM-150s.

My most awesome dream music room is finally complete! I posted pictures on my Facebook page and made it public so even if you're not on FB, you can still view them.

It took me four years of fund raising and grant getting and voting in contests, but I now have everything I've ever dreamed of in a music room for teaching kids. Please check it out and enjoy! I do every day. Slide me a friend request also if you like.

https://www.facebook.com/Tillmanator...28?pnref=story
    Lynn Tillman

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mando_Lynn For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Default Re: My dream room is finally finished!

Congratulations! I dig the paint job on the back wall.

4. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    Congratulations! I dig the paint job on the back wall.
    Thanks! The art teacher and I did that over the summer.
    Lynn Tillman

Lynn, Great vibe to the room. Feels like it would be a great place to share music.

7. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    Lynn, Great vibe to the room. Feels like it would be a great place to share music.
    Thanks! It is :-) Kids are always in there in the mornings looking up chords and lyrics to their favorite pop songs or old ones that I've taught them and they form their own little bands on different instruments.
    Lynn Tillman

Lynn you've put in a lot of effort to teach a bunch of kids something they can enjoy the rest of their lives. In 50 years when all those sport nuts can only watch and remember how they used to be. Your pupils will be playing their best and enjoying it more. Thank you for what you do.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

Great room - congrats! You must be the acoustic/or some-such teacher - there must be another room where they do the tech stuff. That's great to have an acoustic program! What grade?

Edit - now that I look closer at the pics I'm guessing it's more than "acoustic" music program - probably plenty of rock stuff - as in my kids' schools...(rock being the magic elixir of youth that it is )

It was for me in middle school too - although we didn't have a dedicated space - such as your wonderful accomplishment. Your kids must love it!
    Last edited by catmandu2; Nov-16-2016 at 3:49pm.

12. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Looks like a nicely organized space. How is the sound in the room? I ask because I see that there is carpet on the floor and tiles on the ceiling, but all the wall space that is exposed is concrete block, and that might mean a lot of sound bouncing around, or a very "live" room. Putting absorbent materials on part of two adjacent walls would probably help with that.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

14. The following members say thank you to Steve Lavelle for this post:

That is awesome Lynn. Your kids are lucky to have a resource like that. They're also lucky to have a teacher who cares enough to share the gift of music with them like you do.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

16. The following members say thank you to F-2 Dave for this post:

Great job Lynn! That room looks like a lot of fun. Wish I had a place like that to learn when I was a kid. Keep up the good work. Also, I'd love to hear more about what you're doing with your students. I'm finishing up a PhD in music education and am always looking to hear how folks are incorporating folk/rock/hip-hop/etc. (so-called "vernacular" music) in their school curriculum.

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Great room - congrats! You must be the acoustic/or some-such teacher - there must be another room where they do the tech stuff. That's great to have an acoustic program! What grade?

Edit - now that I look closer at the pics I'm guessing it's more than "acoustic" music program - probably plenty of rock stuff - as in my kids' schools...(rock being the magic elixir of youth that it is )

It was for me in middle school too - although we didn't have a dedicated space - such as your wonderful accomplishment. Your kids must love it!
    I teach k-5. And we do a bit of everything. I have a group that does rock and another that does bluegrass/country. And I have a mallet/percussion group that does things like Herbie Hancock's Rockit and Henry Mancini Baby Elephant Walk. I only have electric basses. Trying to find a good price on a 3/4 or 1/2 size upright. I'm not there yet....
    Lynn Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkwood View Post
    Looks like a nicely organized space. How is the sound in the room? I ask because I see that there is carpet on the floor and tiles on the ceiling, but all the wall space that is exposed is concrete block, and that might mean a lot of sound bouncing around, or a very "live" room. Putting absorbent materials on part of two adjacent walls would probably help with that.
    It's pretty loud. I use brushes rather than sticks and hands on all the drums. Helps cut down on the sound. I asked the fire marshall about acoustic tiles for sound and he said NO NO NO. Fire hazzard. They're really picky about stuff like that in schools.
    Lynn Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sullivan View Post
    Great job Lynn! That room looks like a lot of fun. Wish I had a place like that to learn when I was a kid. Keep up the good work. Also, I'd love to hear more about what you're doing with your students. I'm finishing up a PhD in music education and am always looking to hear how folks are incorporating folk/rock/hip-hop/etc. (so-called "vernacular" music) in their school curriculum.
    I've been teaching so long I don't "incorporate" anything. I just do what the heck I want and totally ignore the curriculum. LOL! When you're good at it and an established teacher, NO ONE cares or bugs you as long as you have something exciting to present when the big wigs come touring the school. And I do! Two weeks ago when some stuffed shirts came by, the principal brought them by my room and we did "Good Vibrations" with 3 part harmony AND the Theremin part. Yes, I also have a Theremin! And one of my small groups did Low Rider. They were blown away! I'm PM-ing you my email. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have or to bounce around some ideas.
    Lynn Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by Mando_Lynn View Post
    I teach k-5. And we do a bit of everything. I have a group that does rock and another that does bluegrass/country. And I have a mallet/percussion group that does things like Herbie Hancock's Rockit and Henry Mancini Baby Elephant Walk. I only have electric basses. Trying to find a good price on a 3/4 or 1/2 size upright. I'm not there yet....
    Wonderful.

What a great room! Congrats to you and your students!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sullivan View Post
    I'm finishing up a PhD in music education and am always looking to hear how folks are incorporating folk/rock/hip-hop/etc. (so-called "vernacular" music) in their school curriculum.
    I'm interested in this. My kids were going to attend a Montessori-style school where the principal asked if I would provide a program of instruction that essentially catered to each student's resources and predilections - eschewing a "uniform" approach (such as you would find in regular public school). We ended up relocating so I didnt get the chance to - but it would have been an interesting and challenging experience: to bring such diverse instruments, styles, and abilities together in some form. For example, my son loves to improvise on guhzeng (as in my avatar) - and also works out melodies, figures, and technical exercises. Other kids enjoy squeezing on my concertinas and small button boxes. Combining these and others with traditional band and orchestra instruments would have offered up quite a blend : )

You're obviously a teacher who knows how to inspire children! We need more like you...congrats on all the instruments, the room (love the back wall!)...and the door.

25. The following members say thank you to Al Trujillo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Trujillo View Post
    You're obviously a teacher who knows how to inspire children! We need more like you...congrats on all the instruments, the room (love the back wall!)...and the door.
    Thanks! When I taught in Miami (for 21 years) my music room was a free standing separate building from the rest of the school, so my door was exposed to the elements. Now I'm in a hallway and I can sticker up my door! Been waiting for years to do that :-)

There's only one picture indicative of my light show but I actually have two disco balls on either side of my riser stage and two wall wash lights that can be controlled by kids using the remote on either side of the instrument stage. It's a big hit! I usually just leave them running. It seems to mesmerize the kids and keep them focused. Weird I know...
    Lynn Tillman

Quote Originally Posted by Mando_Lynn View Post
    There's only one picture indicative of my light show but I actually have two disco balls on either side of my riser stage and two wall wash lights that can be controlled by kids using the remote on either side of the instrument stage. It's a big hit! I usually just leave them running. It seems to mesmerize the kids and keep them focused. Weird I know...
    The visual element is huge with kids - theyre apt to integrate elements and aspects by nature. This of course is one reason why the hip-hop vernacular is so prominent - as it combines several popular elements. Ever check out the "club" room at guitar center? : )

Multi-media is our kids' stock in trade.

Also, some kids (such as those with spectrum 'disorder' issues) will really respond to these aspects. Im talking now with a program providing for students with these typical challenges - and thinking how to implement this "montessori"-style approach. I imagine it will incorporate plenty of non-traditional/non-formal elements -

Job well done Lynn! Those children are certainly lucky to have such an engaging teacher!
    Be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you!

29. The following members say thank you to Sweetpea44 for this post:

nigelgatherer

Thanks for sharing those photos - you've done a great job all together, and you should be proud of yourself. Next project? Engaging with the local community?

31. The following members say thank you to Nigel Gatherer for this post:

Great job!!

My dream room is finished, too. It just so happens it belongs to Vince Gill, though.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

33. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

Yea!!!!
    That is amazing.
    I wish my school had a room set up like this.
    I love that you have a nice selection of acoustic and electric instruments, and a lot of rhythm instruments the allow those who can't play a string instrument to bang along and experience playing music.
    Love the wall with all the guitars and basses, each with an amp.
    Really really really really great.
    Thanks for all the work you put in.
    Your kids are very lucky.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

35. The following members say thank you to CWRoyds for this post: