Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Celebrating 21 Years on the Web

Default Re: Article: Celebrating 21 Years on the Web

Thanks from me too. This site is terrific, and indeed has been quite an important part of my life for most of those 21 years.
    David A. Gordon

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Although a newcomer to the mandolin and to this website, it has become my favorite webpage in a short time. Amazing resource with such a variety of subforums and members from around the globe. You guys got it right, and do it better than any other forum I've joined. Congrats on turning 21! The Mandolin Cafe is worth celebrating.

I've found you only about two years ago, but since then I visit almost every day, usually more than once. Great page with everything my mandolin and I need!
    Happy anniversary :-)

One more big THANK YOU and congratulations to Scott and the rest of the team. A day doesn't go by that I don't check in to The Cafe numerous times to stay in touch. This site is a major contributor to the popularization and enjoyment of all things mandolin for so many people. Thanks again!!!!

Congratulations, Scott, to you and all your helpers. Back at the beginning of the Web, there were those who predicted doom for social interactions and others who predicted it would lead to the development of new 'communities.' Your site has proved the later prediction to be true.

This is the strongest community I've found on the Web, and it is filled with friendly, helpful people. You really got it right. I spend more time here than I would like to admit. I learn a lot and, once in a while, even have something to contribute. Thanks and best wishes to your entire team!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Its pretty cool that the relevance of much of the articles and advice from wayback still applies today. Technology has changed, particular heroes come and go, but as players we still struggle with many of the same things.
    "Unspoiled By Progress"!

Thank you, Scott, for this wonderful resource.

Blog Entries

Congrats Scott! May you have many more!

Thank you for building the best home-away-from-home on the web!
    Steve

Thanks, Scott and Team. This site not only has lots of fun and valuable information, it is hands down the fastest and most reliable of comparable sites I visit regularly. Whenever I think there might be something wrong with my internet connection, I visit mandolincafe.com to be sure. If it's slow or unresponsive, then I know I've got a problem on my end!

Piling on here--this site is a daily ritual, most days a multiple ritual. Thanks to Scott and everyone who makes it happen.

Best,

--LH

12. The following members say thank you to Larry Howe for this post:

I've been on this site off and on for a few years and I'm always astounded at how much I can learn. I'm back on because I think my rheumatoid arthritis has abated enough I
    can try once again to attempt to play this beautiful instrument. Thank you so much for the info and the encouragement you give. What a gift you've given us,

I stumbled across this site many years ago while lurking in flatpick-L. I'd always enjoyed the mandolin but I had never even held one. This site caused me to buy my first one, taught me my first chords, then songs. Directed me to the best books, online lessons, new music than I never would have found without the guidance of The Mandolin Café.

I now have a pile of stuff on my music stand, a new Gibson Mandolin on my stand, the coolest hats around and carpal tunnel in both hands......All thanks to the Mandolin Café! The coolest site on the web!

Happy 21!

Tim O'Neill

15. The following members say thank you to d28martin for this post:

Blog Entries

Not a shred of mandolin content but those interested in hiking are welcome to see what I was doing while this blog posting was being auto-posted. Spent three days off the grid this past Wednesday through Friday in Big Bend National Park, my second visit there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mandol...h/31137873175/

Being without cell phone or any kind of wifi for that long is pretty exhilarating.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Nov-28-2016 at 10:05pm.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    Not a shred of mandolin content but those interested in hiking are welcome to see what I was doing while this blog posting was being auto-posted. Spent three days off the grid this past Wednesday through Friday in Big Bend National Park, my second visit there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mandol...h/31137873175/

Being with cell phone or any kind of wifi for that long is pretty exhilarating.
    Nice one , I try and get away for a couple of weeks "off-line" a year, as you say it's very refreshing and I think healthy, although I don't have the responsibility of running this (and my favourite) website which to my mind epitomises the best things about t'internet, thanks
    Last edited by Paul Cowham; Nov-22-2016 at 10:20pm. Reason: spelling, and not the American type!

Not been around here for quite a while but after picking up (and picking on) my mando for the first time in a few years I'm lurking again and learning a lot. I suppose this place is one of the great success stories of the internet for me, making a very dispersed (particularly outside the US) community seem genuinely local.

Anyway, I'm late to the party but at least I brought a card....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cafe21-card.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	409.1 KB 
ID:	151612

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Choppy For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Re: Article: Celebrating 21 Years on the Web

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Choppy View Post

Anyway, I'm late to the party but at least I brought a card....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cafe21-card.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	409.1 KB 
ID:	151612
    That's some beautiful work there, Uncle Choppy!

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    That's some beautiful work there, Uncle Choppy!
    Thanks Mandopixie. Just messing about with ideas. Should really be playing but listening to myself if something of an ...err... acquired taste!

Smile Re: Article: Celebrating 21 Years on the Web

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Choppy View Post
    Thanks Mandopixie. Just messing about with ideas. Should really be playing but listening to myself is something of an ...err... acquired taste!
    I hear you (no pun intended), but listening to and/or watching yourself recorded is also one of the best ways to improve one's playing. Just ask Mike Marshall!

Blog Entries

In a modern web of all about ME, I'm very proud to be part of a diverse community that's about the instrument and the music we all make with it. Here's to years of continued Mandolin Cafe community.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

25. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Thank you for Mandolin Cafe. 21 years ago I had not discovered the joys of Mandolin yet. I started playing Mandolin around 15 years ago, and my life has been better because of Mandolin Cafe and my love of our favorite musical instrument.
    Thanks again, and well done!

27. The following members say thank you to Jack Roberts for this post:

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm very late, but I've always been slow. Happy anniversary and thank you for everything!

I just now saw this thread and wanted to add my "happy anniversary and thank you" to all the others here. This site has really been good for a beginner. Enjoy being off the grid whenever you can. Most of us don't get many opportunities.