Thread: harmonics???

Default harmonics???

Hello tenor guitar players, I have a question for you.

I play tenor banjo and mandolin.
    I love the tuning in fifth because of the harmonic effect it produces.
    I mean when I fret a note on 5th 10th or 12th fret, other strings resonate by themselves.
    (Sorry I don't know the name of this effect in english.)

I'd like to know if you also have this effect on your tenor guitars (accoustic or electric) tuned in fifth.

I never had the oportunity to play one so it's important to know this before I decide to get one.

Thanks in advance for response and have a good day.
    My english is not perfect.
    Nor my french anyway...

Default Re: harmonics???

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGox View Post
    ... when I fret a note on 5th 10th or 12th fret, other strings resonate by themselves.
    (Sorry I don't know the name of this effect in english.) ...
    Maybe sympathetic resonance and string resonance .

Affects any instrument, any tuning, to varying degrees. Some videos found on YouTube about string resonance, these are both about classical guitar so the tuning/notes are different but the general idea is similar:

1. Comparison of two guitars.
    2. Explanation and examples, good examples but lots of talking which might not as useful for non-native-English speakers.

(There might be better videos if I'd spent more time looking, but those were on the first page of Google search results.)

... I'd like to know if you also have this effect on your tenor guitars (accoustic or electric) tuned in fifth. ...
    Yes.

In my limited experience anyway, longer-scale instruments (such as tenor guitar) can have even *more* of this effect than short-scale instruments (such as mandolin).

I also notice far more of it on electric instruments. Again, just in my experience, electrics seem to be more sensitive & responsive to just about everything including string resonance.

... I never had the oportunity to play one so it's important to know this before I decide to get one. ...
    Sometimes there can be too much of the resonance and it can be a problem. A quick search turned up a post from a few years back where someone was having problems with unwanted resonance.

In my case, I noticed that when the song/tune changes chords (even if I'm only playing single-note melody), some of the open strings are still ringing from the previous measure, and those open strings might clash with the chord in the new measure.

I notice this especially on electric.

I'm trying to fix it by training myself to do "palm muting" when necessary. Palm muting can be used to prevent open strings ringing at the wrong time.

3. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

JL277z has certainly tried hard to answer your question, I am not quite sure what you want from a tenor guitar but, some of mine can ring out on all strings if a perform a large sneeze ... and they sit in a stand across the room!

5. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

Thanks JL277z for this detailed and interesting answer!
    This is exactly what I wanted to know.

I have a lot of sympathetic resonance on my tenor banjo.
    But it is never a problem for me since I have learned to play with it and take advantage of this typical sound.
    For me it gives the instrument a mystic sound
    So I think I will be happy with a tenor guitar when I can afford one.

Have a good day!
    Nor my french anyway...

7. The following members say thank you to PhilGox for this post:

Hi Phil,
    I don't know where you are in France but if you're ever near Charente-Maritime, you're welcome to call in and try some of my tenor guitars. They're home-made but at least they would give you an idea of whether the instrument is what you're looking for.

All the best,

Dean

@Mandocarver:

Thanks! I live in Lot-et-Garonne, quite far away, but I take note of your invitation!

@Fox:

some of mine can ring out on all strings if a perform a large sneeze ... and they sit in a stand across the room!
    The other day, I was playing my mandolin loud but UNPLUGED when I said to myself:

"I haven't taken drugs for twenty-five years and haven't drunk wine yet so... WHERE IS THIS REVERB COMING FROM???"

It was my banjo near, ringing by itself!!
    Nor my french anyway...