Thread: Prairie Home Companion last night with Trey Anastasio

Default Prairie Home Companion last night with Trey Anastasio

I never really got into PHC in the past, but I must admit I've checked it out since Chris Thile has taken over the reigns. The show is pulling in some great musicians and Trey is one of my favourites. Really enjoyed this from last night.

... not all those who wander are lost ...

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Denman John For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Prairie Home Companion last night with Trey Anastasio

I'll admit I was never a listener to PHC either. I picked up the mandolin last year at age 48 with the only musical background of playing violin for 3 years in middle school. Hanging around this forum turned me on to Chris Thile and subsequently PHC. I had the great pleasure of attending yesterday's show live here in Denver and WOW! It was so entertaining and the music was phenomenal - so fun to be there in person. I'm hooked and can't wait to listen next week. In the meantime, I'm inspired to play more music. Kudos to the great new host of PHC.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BubbaRayburn For This Useful Post:

I was there also. 8 rows back. It was awesome. Honestly, you don't fully realize until you are there in person, but it is 200%better in person. Not to detract from the music, but the skits were sooo much cooler in person! And of course the music was great. Also, when it is live, they play a few songs before the show and during intermission. By the way Bubba. I should come to a jam in Denver. Check out the Colorado Bluegrass Society webpage or "like" Denver Pickers Groupon Facebook.

6. The following members say thank you to jazzjune18 for this post:

The fiddle kickoff bit on one of Trey's other songs was really fun.

I used to listen to PHC if I happened to be in the car and it was on. Now I make a point of streaming it every time. Definitely a fan of what Chris is doing with it.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by jazzjune18 View Post
    I was there also. 8 rows back. It was awesome. Honestly, you don't fully realize until you are there in person, but it is 200%better in person. Not to detract from the music, but the skits were sooo much cooler in person! And of course the music was great. Also, when it is live, they play a few songs before the show and during intermission. By the way Bubba. I should come to a jam in Denver. Check out the Colorado Bluegrass Society webpage or "like" Denver Pickers Groupon Facebook.
    What other songs did they play? Big phish fan.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I have been a ardent listener of PHC for more than 20 years. I do miss Garrison but at the same time enjoy the new format very much. I really can't imagine how Garrison could have selected a better replacement or a more appropriate format to follow his retirement.
    Chris Thili is doing a stellar job! This new format may loose a few of us old time fans but should at the same time bring in some younger listeners.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

♪☮♫ Roll away the dew ♪☮♫ Dan Krhla's Avatar

I am super grateful for the you tubes on this weeks performances. Wow. What a bunch of musicians. Loved it.

I've been a casual fan of Prairie Home for years but now find myself planning my Saturday around being home for the broadcast and skipping out on events that interfere. Couldn't be happier with the quality of the music and the live streamed video is super entertaining. Check it out if you haven't yet, especially the live streamed video version, and you may find a new way to stay out of trouble (at home) on a Saturday night!

Trey back in Colorado - good fun. Next week - I think I saw - Edgar Meyer and yo yo ma

Searching for the Sound

Quote Originally Posted by Stompbox View Post
    What other songs did they play? Big phish fan.
    Trey and band did:
    Brian and Robert, Back on the Train
    Water in the Sky, Miss you

The Water in the Sky was a very nice 'countrified' version with a fiddle kickoff by Brittney Haas, who I learned was in Crooked Still with Aoife O'Donovan (singing back up). The banter after the song was also entertaining: see ~5:15 for the banter ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw2aQo1R4Xs

I really like Trey, but he's not the most compelling acoustic guitar player... I was impressed with the Staves. The audio of their tunes is at PHC site.
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Did seem like trey was out of the main mix during the latter third of the song?

It's funny, I love Phish, and they were my first introduction to "bluegrass" (The very first version of Uncle Pen I heard was at a Phish show when they were going through their bluegrass phase). But Trey is very much an electric guitarist. When you listen to him talk about his sound and his gear, it is an electric tone he is chasing, a slightly muddy, slightly distorted very compressed guitar tone is his go to sound. His "small" pedalboard is a pair of Tubescreamers and a Ross Compressor, but he has an entirely separate chain of digital effects he uses as well. The electric guitar and the acoustic guitar are different instruments that share a tuning. Jerry Garcia was never a huge fan of playing acoustic guitar, either, although he played way more acoustic than Trey.
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

While Trey's acoustic playing certainly was not up to snuff with his electric playing it was definitely nice to hear their tunes interpreted through the house band. Really helped to highlight what an astonishing group of musicians they have put together for PHC.