Thread: Stradolin pickup installation -- no end pin

Default Stradolin pickup installation -- no end pin

I am considering installation of K&K or JJB internal pickups in my Stradolin. I have read through numerous threads on this topic – which have all been very helpful.

The preferred location for the jack seems to be through the end block and endpin hole. This makes perfect sense. However, my mandolin has no endpin and the tailpiece has no hole for an endpin.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Strad1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	343.6 KB 
ID:	151546

Name:	Strad2.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	331.5 KB 
ID:	151544

The tailpiece appears to be to small to be drilled out to accommodate the 1/2" jack (see image with 1/2" semicircle drawn on it.)

Name:	Strad3marked.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	151545

I do not want to lose the tailpiece as its cover that is a very cool fake tortoise shell that matches the pick guard.

Incidentally, my 1921 Gibson A Jr. has a very similar tailpiece -- no endpin.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of installation or an idea of how to install a jack in a mandolin like this?

Default Re: Stradolin pickup installation -- no end pin

You can use a carpenter jack.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Here is a post of mine from January 2015 where I show a few options I've used.

I would go for an output jack lower in the tailblock like I show in the third picture of my post. Meaure and layout carefully to not interfere with your ton-gard. You could also try the Les Paul plate as shown in the bottom pic. Or Carpenter jack as previously suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    You can use a carpenter jack.
    Wow, I must live in an alternate reality where $99 seems expensive to me for a simple jack and clamp! Looks like about $5-6 bucks worth of goods there.......

I'd cut a hole in the side about 2 inches from the tailpiece on the treble side and use a Les Paul jack plate from stew mac. Did it on a low priced mandolin and it looks and works great.
    Jim Richmond

Blog Entries

As long as you are OK with modifying the instrument, and definitely want an internal rather than external transducer, then the method of a Les Paul type jack plate is what I'd go with too. You definitely don't want the socket (and ultimately cord) relying 100% on the thin wood of the ribs... as if the cord is trodden on, you could rip a really big hole in there....

You could also do it with a Tapastring Vintage Jack into the tailpiece (diameter is smaller than a regular jack socket) but you are looking at $100 again by the time you have included a custom cord.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Interesting comments, thank you. Your comments give me plenty to think about.

The carpenter jack gets a bad rap for falling off and for possibly making the mandolin difficult to fit into its case. I've never had a problem with mandolin armrests, but maybe connecting and disconnecting the cable into a carpenter jack loads the mounting brackets in a significantly different way.

I hadn't realized that the Tapastring jack is narrower than the normal 1/4" jack, so maybe that is an option. According to StewMac's website, an endpin measures .315" at the fat end. It looks like the tailpiece is large enough to take a .315" hole. Then there's the challenge of drilling the end block with the correct taper. Hmm.

Thinking about it, I also realize that the standard endpin jack has a 1/2" diameter barrel, but it necks down to 3/8" where it goes through the tailpiece and takes the external nut and strap button. With careful work, I may be able to put a 3/8" hole in the tailpiece and still leave enough material to maintain its structural integrity. The 1/2" hole through the end block seems like no problem, but I don't know how I can fit the jack with its internal nut through the f-hole of the mandolin.

Hmm, lots to think about here...

After looking at your pics again, and realizing you probably have those cool three-part Strad f-holes that won't accomodate passing a jack from the inside out, I think if it were me I'd go with a black Les Paul plate from Stew-Mac somewhere on the lower side of the treble bout.

I can stick My Schertler Dyn-M on anything with a soundboard..

The Luthier that did an EM150 like conversion of the A 50 I got, used a Les Paul 4 screw plate
    to Do the job.. FWIW..

You can always put on a Gibson Like tail Piece and run a regular Jack install, too .

Cloud tailpieces fetch good money in resale , since people lose the covers ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I checked the f-hole and discovered that I can get the 1/2" jack through it, but just barely. The internal nut will only go in if it is separated from the barrel of the jack. Of course then it would need to be re-mounted onto the jack and then adjusted for depth, all inside the mandolin. This begins to sound like arthroscopic brain surgery or assembling a ship inside a bottle...

So I decided to do it the easy way and install a LR Baggs external mount with a carpenter jack. It ain't perfect, but I think it can be made to work for my purposes. And of course it can be moved in the future.

I like the Les Paul setup, but it will require more time and attention than I have right now.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. They helped me think this through.

11. The following members say thank you to Strabo for this post:

A cool trick I've seen used on several National resonator guitars is to use one the "holes" of the segmented f-holes to mount a jack on the face of the instrument without drilling a hole. Maintains a vintage look without having that contraption mounted on the rim.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    A cool trick I've seen used on several National resonator guitars is to use one the "holes" of the segmented f-holes to mount a jack on the face of the instrument without drilling a hole. Maintains a vintage look without having that contraption mounted on the rim.
    Be careful with this one. A good strong pull on the cord and you will have a very nasty repair to deal with.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

You could also use the jack you would have put inside and zip tie it to the tailpiece. It would hold it secure, and be removable should you not like the pickup.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Follow up: I went ahead and got the LR Baggs top mount and installed it as per their suggestion.

Name:	Stradolin pickup.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	729.1 KB 
ID:	151752

I haven't had time to grope around and find the "sweet spot" but it sounds amazingly good with their suggested placement, even through a semi-crappy amp and no preamp.

The jack mount on the rim seems to be OK, but I understand that I need to be careful when connecting/disconnecting. I'll work on a Les Paul type installation when time permits.

Thanks again for all the help.

Follow up 2: The top-mounted jack fell off while playing (NOT while connecting or disconnecting). The problem was that the mounting bracket supplied with the pickup had a very small foot, so it had minimal contact with the bottom of the mandolin. I discovered that not violin/viola chin rests have the same brackets. Some have a larger, wider and deeper for than others. I bought a violin chin rest and swapped out its larger foot, which makes much better contact with the instrument. The jack seems much more secure now. It will be interesting to see how this goes in the future.