Thread: Article: Saga Introduces Redesigned Deluxe Kentucky F-Models

Blog Entries

Default Article: Saga Introduces Redesigned Deluxe Kentucky F-Models

Blog Entries

Default Re: Article: Saga Introduces Redesigned Deluxe Kentucky F-Models

Because we know someone will ask: we don't have suggested retail prices and they weren't offered with the news release but pretty sure a few dealers hanging out here will know.

Thanks for the news Scott!

These four mandolins retail for $1295 each. Of course street prices will be a bit lower.

I have personally seen the KM-750 (sunburst) and KM-756 (brown), and they are very nice. A good upgrade over previous Kentucky F-models with the exception of the KM-1000 and higher.

4. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

A varnish option would be nice. One just hopes that lacquer ain't overly thick.

I know that it's purely a matter of preference,but it would have been nice to have had a bound headstock just to finish them off. Other than that,they do seem to be a very nice mandolin,
    Ivan

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

They look to be an interesting option at that price point. If one were considering an acquisition, I would suggest customizing the order with an ebony bridge like a full contact CA. I wonder about the lacquer finish as well.

It would seem that at these prices those new mandolins will be made at factories other than where the KM-900`s through the KM-1500`s are made, so are they really an upgrade or just the same as always with different color schemes to choose from?

Willie

Will they go with heavier frets and cast tailpieces?

OK So what were the Design changes ?, the Press release gives no details,

structural or just Finish shading, trim details?

of course people will want to know... is the sound better? ..

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I know that it's purely a matter of preference,but it would have been nice to have had a bound headstock just to finish them off. Other than that,they do seem to be a very nice mandolin,
    Ivan
    I may be wrong Ivan, but the head stock on my 630 appears to have paint rather than actual binding. Perhaps someone can confirm one way or another.

I'm confused as to what is new about these mandos. Isn't it that they are just trying to sell more cheap, uninspiring tools. It just seems like so much nothing. Even the Breedloves sound so much better than any Kentucky below their 1000 model. And maybe I'm just too jaded.

I agree with Ivan. A bound neck never looks right without the head stock being bound. Also I'd have preferred a short, scooped normal shape fingerboard extension. I've never liked this shape but that's just me.
    The non sunburst brown shaded top looks unappealing.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy powells View Post
    Also I'd have preferred a short, scooped normal shape fingerboard extension. I've never liked this shape but that's just me.
    Well, at least no one will need to do a "Florida-ectomy" on these mandolins - Saga knows their target market.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Because we know someone will ask: we don't have suggested retail prices and they weren't offered with the news release but pretty sure a few dealers hanging out here will know.
    I recently bought a mint condition Kentucky KM-751 for 400.00 with gator case. It has a very sweet sound but not a lot of punch - I'm considering putting a CA full contact bridge on it. Worth the expense? When I bought my KM-270 on ebay - it already had the CA bridge and it seems like it's louder than the 751. What do you think?