Thread: Repairs Manual

Blog Entries

Default Repairs Manual

Hi, Everyone:

I have the fever to start tinkering with repairs on acoustic guitars and mandolins. I'll be looking into spending a little cash to get some instruments that need some tweaking, like new nuts, saddles, tailpieces, frets, etc.

I'm seeking a human being to learn from (even via Skype, hint hint), but in the meantime want to get started with a repairs manual. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

~ Kevin
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Default Re: Repairs Manual

Some of us have written, assembled or collected material on the Web. Mine is at FRETS.COM, which by now is an archive site.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Ford For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I think this might be at least part of the answer:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...hlight=meldrum
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Rob Meldrum's set up a mandolin book might be a good start. Frank Ford's sight is a tremendous resource. Using this forum as you hit new challenges is also a great resource with so many talented builders who willingly share ideas.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I mean no offense, only encouragement, why haven't you started already?
    Get going man! Don't wait for a manual, just tear into it!

These used to be available from Martin, now you'll probably have to find a copy elsewhere.:

https://www.amazon.com/Martin-Repair...+repair+manual
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Tons of free video instruction on youtube.com Of course, everybody approaches things differently and there's a lot of opinionated folks out there, but if you watch several videos on a certain topic, you can make your own overview.

I think the Guitar Player's Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine is very good. Also, check out the Stew Mac site and click on Free Information, then Trade Secrets Archive. Tons of info there, free for the taking! And +1 for Frets.com as well.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Read every pages of Frets.com. Frank IS one of the main resources in repair.

I also agree, get started now, as in find something to work on right now, but no later than tomorrow. Read absolutely everything... Every book you can get a hold of and get busy with the limitless reading you will find online. Other crafts lend well to learning lutherie. It all goes hand in hand... Modeling, painting, making in general. It is all intertwined.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

13. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Hi Kevin - It's nice to see you back on here after a while. Robert Fear has it dead right - Frank Ford's pages of wisdom are a 'must read' for an overview of what might be done. After that,if any particular problem surfaces,search directly for info. regarding that.
    Also,search out any YouTube vids. that might be useful. A good source of books to read might be your local library - you don't have to buy them all,
    Best wishes - Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I do not have apprentices any more, do not want to take any more on either

I started this "How to" of guitar repairs a month ago, each unique job I get come through the shop, have been photo tutorialling and explaining the process as I had been with my apprentices.

My goal is minimum one new tutorial each week, with the hope of inspiring some others to continue the passion.

http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Best wishes

Steve

16. The following members say thank you to mirwa for this post:

derbex 

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Not intending to hijack at all, but I am kinda interested in the Gibson Army/Navy Pancake style mandos; are there any books about building that particular type of instrument? I believe I read somewhere that this style is easier to build. I know it's different cuz there's no carving, but some builders will induce an arch. (Poe Scout, Christal forest).
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

I was squeamish about repair for a while. I read Frank Ford's site many years ago, while he was still adding content frequently, and it is a superb resource. Definitely more comprehensive than any manual currently available.
    But what made me have worries about doing things myself was the fact that I wasn't always sure why one repair needed one approach, and another needed a different approach. It seemed like black magic.
    But after doing a few projects, I realized something very simple. It's not a different skill or craft, it's just woodworking. At the end of the day, what makes a successful repair is the same set of considerations which makes a successful woodworking project in any other application.
    Measure twice, cut once. Sharpen your tools. Make your cuts as cleanly and as accurately as humanly possible. Make sure everything fits together well. Make sure your glue joints are all perfect. Make sure there is adequate structure to support the load you'll be exerting due to string tension (same as if you're building a chair, table, or whatever). Clamp things evenly. Don't force anything. When it's back together, make sure everything is shaped flush and finished well.
    If you can do a solid job at normal woodworking, cutting half-blind dovetails and the like, then there's nothing especially taxing about repair work. The shapes are a little more complicated, but all the concepts and principles are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    Not intending to hijack at all, but I am kinda interested in the Gibson Army/Navy Pancake style mandos; are there any books about building that particular type of instrument? I believe I read somewhere that this style is easier to build. I know it's different cuz there's no carving, but some builders will induce an arch. (Poe Scout, Christal forest).
    John Troughton's The Mandolin Manual and Graham MacDonald's The Mandolin Project will set you on the right course there. Troughton's book is a little more in-depth, but more focused on a specific pattern, while Graham's book gives you everything you need to know to design and execute your own designs.

19. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Briggs View Post
    I'm seeking a human being to learn from (even via Skype, hint hint), but in the meantime want to get started with a repairs manual. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

~ Kevin
    One thing Kevin, everyone does things differently, just becuase we read or view something being done a certain way does not mean it's the definitive way, read /assess and make your own decisions for what works for you.

Start with eBay purchases, search things like project guitar, damaged guitar, broken guitar, we learn by doing things and repetition, do the repair, flip the sale and use the proceeds to increase your tools.

My how to section of the website was only started 2 months ago, but I'm averaging 2-3 extra walk throughs each week, so check in on it occasionally, it may give you an idea.

Steve

http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

I'm a tinkerer like so many and only do work on my own projects. Years before I ever steamed a dovetail joint apart, I thought I'd get my feet wet by trying to repair an old violin. I had books to reference but no internet to scour. I asked my son's violin teacher advice as he also did repairs. He told me how to use an eye dropper with a cup of hot water to remove the back plate. I was amazed how cleanly it came apart with no evidence of my intervention. Of course, this required me to start making my own clamps, jigs, etc. The restore was successful enough to encourage me to take on more complex repairs, etc. It's quite a wormhole to go down but I still enjoy the projects. Have fun!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band