Thread: Tips on Shipping a Mandolin

Default Tips on Shipping a Mandolin

This has probably been discussed plenty of times. I did a quick search and found a couple threads but not much. Probably my deficiency using the search tool, but it seems like you get every thread that has the word shipping in it and the algorithm isn't smart enough to prioritize like google would. So I apologize if this has been discussed a million times. Feel free to re-direct me to a previous thread if this has been covered.

Now that's out of the way, I'm selling my instrument in the Cafe Classifieds. I have no question about the transaction, payment, etc., but I d have questions about the best way to ship and to determine the shipping cost (buyer is paying), before going into the store. I'll just list out my questions and feel free to add anything you think might help. Thanks!

1) Are all shipping services about the same? (i.e. USPS, UPS, DHL, etc.)

2) Should I find all the materials ahead of time (box, bubble wrap, etc) and have it all packaged up before I go in? Or should I use UPS packing material and service? I think I may have heard that UPS will only insure if they are the ones that do the packing.

3) How do I determine how much it will cost? Do I need to pack it first to see how much the final size and weight is? Then use that along with the destination zip to determine shipping?

Anything else I need to know about or other questions I need to be asking? Any existing threads I should read?

I feel confident about the task of packing so that the instrument is safe. So no worries there...

Thanks!

Default Re: Tips on Shipping a Mandolin

1) Are all shipping services about the same? (i.e. USPS, UPS, DHL, etc.)

DHL is no longer common in the USA. UPS and Fedex are basically the same. Service can vary regionally though. USPS, is often overlooked, but can be a good option (depending).

2) Should I find all the materials ahead of time (box, bubble wrap, etc) and have it all packaged up before I go in? Or should I use UPS packing material and service? I think I may have heard that UPS will only insure if they are the ones that do the packing.

Any packaging service are third party. A UPS Store, does charge for packing and it will be very expensive. They also may use a larger than needed box (shipping costs is based on dimensions). UPS will insure it no matter who packed it. Damage claims will only be honored if it was packed to UPS guidelines though.

3) How do I determine how much it will cost? Do I need to pack it first to see how much the final size and weight is? Then use that along with the destination zip to determine shipping?

Yes... Weight will not really matter in this case. It will be dimensions and zone (zip code). UPS and Fed are generally within a couple of dollars of one another.

Anything else I need to know about or other questions I need to be asking? Any existing threads I should read?

A small percentage of shipments go wrong. It can be hard to get damage claims through on instruments. If you like the numbers game, you come out way ahead, not paying for insurance, but it does leave the chance that you will lose the game and pay out of pocket (which can happen even if you do insure the package).
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the info Robert! I'll take it to either USPS or FedEx, both are close to my work. Probably USPS unless there is some reason why they should be avoided.

USPS does not have a good tracking, and can be a pain if the package is lost or damaged.

The good news is that they are much gentler on packages, and the Express mail service is excellent and much cheaper than FedEx Express service.

As a general rule, we tend to favor UPS for ground (though FedEx is fine and I use both). When they need to go Air, I usually go Express because it is so much cheaper and I have never had an issue. USPS Express mail is just based on weight, not dimensional (one reason why it can be much cheaper).
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Box with in a box and pack around the instrument in the case , particularly around the headstock.

Whiplash Breaks have happened there from drops when its Un supported.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

7. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

I will definitely secure the instrument within the case, especially around the headstock. The case has a groove that holds the neck in place down near the body, so that helps.

I was planning to wrap the case in large bubble wrap and then put that in a box with "peanuts" to fill up the space.

10. The following members say thank you to Jacob for this post:

A small percentage of instruments get damaged during shipping (ask me how I know!). It is the nature of the game. I am sure we have had more than 100 damaged, and often with no signs of the cause (meaning shock damage). Packing it well reduces this, but there are times when pure bad luck kicks in too.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

I buy the box and the packing materials ahead of time. After packing, I get it weighed at the post office near my home. Using that weight I go online and shop UPS, USPS and Fed Ex for the cheapest rate to where the mandolin is going. It has been worth it. Shipping rates very and on-line postage is cheaper. I've shipped 18 mandolins in the past 14 months. From home, just the way you are doing it.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Oh, I thought this was going to be about some kind of weird mandolin fan fiction.

Well, this thread seems appropriate. I have been shipping vintage instruments via the three carriers mentioned above. Today I went to Fedex to ship a circa 1930 guitar. They informed me of the price but when I told them the value for the insurance, they asked me how old the guitar was and I said over 80 years old and they said that the maximum value they would insure it for is $1000 for any instrument older than 20 years old. I had never heard that, but after a quick search I see that has been their policy for years.

You can read it in their terms and conditions. See page 108.

Here is the gist:

F. Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are
    limited to a maximum declared value of US$1,000:
    <snip>
    12. Guitars and other musical instruments that are more than 20 years old, and
    customized or personalized musical instruments.
    In addition, the clerk told me that they really don't insure it anyway. So I took it to the PO and they sent it with the proper value insured. That USPS clerk told me that a local violin dealer sends his violins via USPS insured for like $5000.

I assume the UPS has the same policy. Do vintage dealers just use their own business insurance to cover breakage or do they have some other arrangement with these commercial carriers?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I shipped a guitar through FedEx and they dropped it and cracked it. They didn't want to take responsibility for it. I filed in small claims court and four days before court, FedEx settled with me for the full amount to make me whole. I've since learned that USPS costs less to ship AND you can pay just a little more to ensure that it is hand carried and treated as fragile and not just tossed around like the other companies.

I recently shipped one to the Mandolin Store and always check prices online. FedEx was cheapest and UPS and USPS Priority was close by. I chose USPS Priority since it was 2 day vs. 4 days FedEx and UPS. Less time in the handlers possession is a good thing. Plus I've had good luck with USPS and the tracking has usually been good too. I once shipped a motorcycle seat packed well in a box using FedEx. It arrived back at my house in a week or so half burned/melted. Obviously had been in a truck fire. They label stuck on it said insurance would not cover it because it wasn't in a box. Well, obviously the box burned too but apparently the label survived, how else did they know where to send it. They finally gave in and paid me for it.
    I've also read where FedEx and UPS employees will many times unload the truck by pulling the lower boxes out, causing the others to fall within easy reach. So pack it to survive a good drop!
    Pava Player A5
    2003 Martin UMGF #24 00-18VS

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by 5bassman View Post
    I've also read where FedEx and UPS employees will many times unload the truck by pulling the lower boxes out, causing the others to fall within easy reach. So pack it to survive a good drop!
    Last time UPS delivered something to me, I was standing at the truck and he had hard times finding the right box so he was pulling boxes one by one and throwing them back into truck till he found mine...
    Last time I shipped mandolins I made cases out of styrofoam (6" thick) and boxed it with sheets of plywood (I used to use thick cardboard). I carve just enough foam to fit in the mandolin and fill void above headstock with wedge so there is almost no air around the instrument. You can get plywood quite cheap at large hardware store and have it cut to size and just glue the sheets to the styrofoam box. I reinforced the edges with glue soaked linen and I could easily stand on the box with almost no deflection. Overall the box was lighter than standard mandolin case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShippingBox2.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	154620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShippingBox1.JPG 
Views:	165 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	154621  
    Adrian

Blog Entries

Dude that's some serious packing! I understand it tho - I dislike putting instruments in the mail.

I once received a 1929 Gibson tenor guitar (no case) in a cardboard box with paper stuffing around it

I used this video for a start.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDr...ceaH8fqf79SBir

I also wrap the case in bubble wrap before I put the paper in. I've heard that paper is better than peanuts as the peanuts settle more. I would check both UPS and USPS before shipping. They seem to vary but for me UPS is usually a little cheaper.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ..... I detune the instrument, put the instrument in it's case, if the instrument fits tightly in the case, cool, if not, I use small bubble wrap to make it tight, put big bubble wrap around the case and fill in the rest of the void in the box with packing peanuts. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Plastics (including bubble wrap), vinyl, and some synthetic rubber (including foam rubber) can wreak havoc on some instrument finishes when combined with heat, humidity, and/or vibration. I would guess that there are some on the forum that have seen a finish reaction of an old vinyl strap that's been stored with an instrument.

However, in packaging a guitar for shipment, one gentleman wrapped my purchase with standard 100% cotton diapers before using bubble wrap. I was very grateful for that extra attention.