Thread: Classidfieds Question

Default Classidfieds Question

I don't understand why so often people post items in the Classifieds and do not include the price.
    Rich
    2015 Passernig A5 #76
    2016 Pava Pro A5 #197

2. The following members say thank you to Rich Benson for this post:

Default Re: Classidfieds Question

Just guessing it comes from a strategy from another era where price was something gentlemen didn't discuss, certainly not the first thing. It would involve engaging the potential buyer in a conversation about the instrument and its merits first and seeing if it was something the buyer might be interested in, then lastly discussing price. Some still feel it is rude to talk price right out of the gate. There is also the issue of privacy. Total old-school thinking. I grew up in a town like that. I don't think that strategy works for today's buyers......but does eliminate those too lazy to call or email!

The assumption is that the instrument PROBABLY AIN'T CHEAP!!!

IMHO it is in the interest of the seller also to post prices since you will get somewhat fewer tire kickers that way, I would think. Otherwise, you will spend an inordinate amount of time replying to requests for prices, etc. from folks who may not be interested.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I also wonder why folks post guitars and other things in the mandolin section instead of the guitar section. If I am looking for a guitar I wouldn't look in mandolins.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

It is an ongoing source of frustration and puzzlement to me why people don't do things the way I think they should.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jaycat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    It is an ongoing source of frustration and puzzlement to me why people don't do things the way I think they should.
    Ain't that the truth...

I thought there was only one way to do things, MY WAY.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Ads published on Facebook quite often do not specify the price.
    I suspect that the sellers might be interested in getting more than an instrument is worth and fear that if they publish their inflated price someone will write that it is too much. So they deal with people on personal level and try to find a sucker.
    I also have the feeling that some sellers change the price according to the buyer. If you sound eager, naive or overly polite they ask for more.

BUGS ME TOO!!!

This bugs the krap out of me!

What do they want anyway!! A fantasy high bid? a disgusting low bid?...shall I tell you what you will sell your instrument for?

I'll confess I've sent the occasional response asking WTH do you want?? $10.00? $1000.00? $10,000?

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

It is truly one of the mysteries of the cosmos.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    BUGS ME TOO!!!

This bugs the krap out of me!

What do they want anyway!! A fantasy high bid? a disgusting low bid?...shall I tell you what you will sell your instrument for?

I'll confess I've sent the occasional response asking WTH do you want?? $10.00? $1000.00? $10,000?

Billy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toomuchcoffeeman1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	152039

Certain guys do that at vintage guitar shows, also! I think it is just to force the customer to start a conversation or at least ask the question. If you have ever read any salesmanship books from the 60's and 70's, there once was a belief that a "super salesman" could sell anything to anyone, given a "foot in the door!" It's about being personable, quickly assessing the buyers needs, and then closing the deal. Many old school salesmen believe that everyone who walks in the door is a potential sale. Unfortunately, that was then (pre-internet) and this is now. The average buyer is a lot more savvy today than 30 years ago and is armed with a lot of pricing information that was once only available to a select few "insiders". Terms like "wholesale/retail" and "I can get it for you at my cost" are almost meaningless today.

14. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

The thing is, these sales techniques still work. Not with everyone, or even the majority. But they don't need the majority, they only need one buyer (not necessarily a sucker). The odds of closing a sale skyrockets once you have a dialog open. I don't care for the whole game, but it is what it is and will be around until it stops working.

This is still the norm in B2B service, software and many niche items. It generally goes along with the pricing being a shocking number, and they want to run you through a 30 minute sales presentation so they can ease you in....

Of course this is also normal at the flea market.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

16. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

... Open to Haggling?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I agree its frustrating. I doubt it is a sound sales strategy. When I'm in the market I never bother with a seller that doesn't disclose his asking price in his ad. Along with a picture, make, and year, its just the most basic part of any sales ad. Many classified pages require it to post an ad. I wish the MC would too.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Certain guys do that at vintage guitar shows, also! I think it is just to force the customer to start a conversation or at least ask the question.
    ha! Last time I went to a vintage guitar show I brought a pair of vintage Fender Mandocasters. As I was setting up the booth another dealer came by and asked what I was selling them for. I said, "Four for the '57, and three and a half for the '56." The guy said, OK, I'll be back in a few minutes.

And he came back ready to buy both Mandocasters. But wouldn't you know, he thought he was paying $400 and $350!
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Is it all about me, or am I self-centered?
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

I would include the price--but not in the headline. Let your potential buyers read your ad first.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas