Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oval hole mando purchase

Default Oval hole mando purchase

Hello All,
    I'm looking to purchase an Oval Hole mando and I'm down to three choices:
    Breedlove Crossover OO VS
    Big Muddy MM-8 mini mo
    Kentucky 272

In shops near my home I've only been able to play the Breedlove. I love it's sound but I'm not 100% convinced about the comfort of the wider nut width.

I've seen all the great reviews for the Kentucky, but those seem to be mostly for the f sound hole style. Do the Kentucky ovals sound as good?

The Big Muddy does not appear to have an adjustable bridge-- is that a big issue?

My concern with both the Kentucky and Big Muddy is that I would be buying an instrument I've never played.

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Thanks!

Default Re: Oval hole mando purchase

I've not played a Kentucky oval in a couple of years, but I remember it being a pretty good mandolin, well made for the price. I've heard good things about the newer Breedlove Crossovers, but have only played their first generation mandolins, the tone of which was OK but not spectacular. I don't have a Big Muddy, but do have a Flatiron 1N, which is similar. No adjustable bridge, but a local luthier was able to do a little filing to get it where I want it without issue.

My ranking would be: 1. Big Muddy, 2. Kentucky, 3. Breedlove Crossover. But, if the Crossover is one of the newer instruments and sounds good, that may be the ticket. I've got standard and wide nut widths, and switch among them without issue, so I think you'd adapt easily to that difference, as long as the neck is comfortable otherwise. Hopefully some folks who've played more current models will chime in. Good luck!

Addendum: Also, consider Sonny Morris' mandolins. Their new price is good, used price excellent, and he consistently gets solid reviews on here. He's also willing to do some customization if you so desire. NFI, and have never played one myself, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if the time/degree of MAS/price were right.
    Chuck

3. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Why the Mini-Mo instead of a regular-sized Big Muddy? I'd take any of those over the Kentucky and Breedlove, which is not a knock on them.

Flattops tend to come with non-adjustable bridges. Mike has sent bridges of different heights to Big Muddy/Mid-Mo owners many times. I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Was looking at the Mini because of budget. If I up the budget, what pros does the regular size have that would make it worth the additional $200 or so? Thanks so much for your help!

if you are getting a new big muddy, they should come with one or two different bridges. they sound great. i had one. they are flat tops, not arched, so keep that in mind. here's a rather bad video of me playing mine. granted, i wound up selling it. i wish i hadn't.

1935 Gibson A-1 Wide mandolin
    Late 1800's Unbranded German fiddle

I have all three of three of these here now and can give some insight.

The Big Muddy is a standard sized (actually a customers). Great mandolins. You really can't go wrong with one if you are looking for a flat top.

Second generation Crossover AO. They did a god job on these as well. I am actually surprised that we don't hear mode about them. The fit and finish is excellent. They do not have an adjustable truss rod, but I can tell you the relief is perfect on all I have had (not something I can say about many mandolins with an adjustable truss rod). The tone is good. I wouldn't say that it is the best sounding mandolin at the price point, but they are not bad at all, and the build quality is very good, so I still consider it a top choice.

The KM-270 series is are excellent values. These have a pretty authentic oval hole tone. These should be in the top choices as well. Eastman rounds out the options and that is really it for the stand out ovals holes without jumping up in price.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

8. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Thanks for the video! I guess the next question is about the flat top-- does that make a difference in sound? Playability?

i think it had fine chop, if i remember it well. definitely great for folk/celtic.

There are a couple of Sonny Morris oval hole flattops here at the Café classifieds. I own an oval hole Morris A4. He makes a nice mandolin. (NFI).
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

oh, given that i see a large miller can in the video by the computer, i was obviously drinking, so excuse my playing!

To me, they have a fuller, richer sound. I'd suggest calling Mike and asking him if you have questions.

The Big Muddys are fine mandolins and Mike is a great guy to deal with. If you can swing the cost, I'd highly recommend one of his instruments.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StevenP View Post
    Thanks for the video! I guess the next question is about the flat top-- does that make a difference in sound? Playability?
    Yes. The flat top will not sound like an arch top, so highly prized in bluegrass. But I like flatties for that reason - they have a distinctly non-bluegrass sound. I like them in old time music and traditional Irish, and other genres.

I recently found this video of the playing of a Big Muddy M-11. What great tone. I just love it.

It is a matter of taste. I have and play both flatties and arch tops, and I would not want to only have one or the other.

I think flat tops deserve a ton more respect in general as a great quality for the buck alternative. Especially for someone who is exploring mandolin and has not settled on bluegrass as the genre of choice.

But if you are in love with the arch top sound, I understand. It is a pretty cool sound.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Have tried several Kentucky ovals including the 272. All sounded very good, some simply excellent in tone and volume. Often they have the big lows and tubbiness of the old Gibson A's but with better balance over the full range. Recommended.

16. The following members say thank you to renoyd for this post:

I sold my '18 Gibson for a '22 because of the tubbiness. I am not a fan of the tubby sound, but do like the deep lows. I think the newer styles a plus for Gibson, and why someone would make a mandolin to have the sound that Gibson discontinued in the 20's for a better sound, is a question to me. I know some like the tubby sound, I am not a fan, I prefer a deep clean sound for those. I also like a, not so deep, sound some of the new oval's have, but clean clear sound.
    Last edited by pops1; Dec-12-2016 at 12:49pm.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I played a Kentucky KM 272 when I was shopping and was really impressed with its tone and volume. I opted for an Eastman because I preferred its neck and fingerboard, but have been really wanting an oval myself more recently... I'm hoping for a pancake myself!.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I've only played the Kentucky a few of them they all sounded fine , i ended up buying a Gretsch G9350 Park Avenue i got such a great deal i couldn't pass it up. It's an F style oval. I am really happy with it. Since then I have found some other deals on some ovals that i like also , but the other 4 are vintage ones from the 70's and 80's
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    I played a Kentucky KM 272 when I was shopping and was really impressed with its tone and volume. I opted for an Eastman because I preferred its neck and fingerboard, but have been really wanting an oval myself more recently... I'm hoping for a pancake myself!.
    Keep in mind a pancake will sound even more different because it is a flat top.

I have played some real nice pancakes.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Since you like the Breedlove, this just showed up in the classifieds.......

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/105388#105388

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

As a past owner of a Big Muddy mandolin, I highly recommend Mike Dulak's instruments. Mike is a terrific gentleman, and a pleasure to do business with. I owned (and frankly miss) a 13" scale mandolin. Cumberland Acoustics made an adjustable bridge for my Big Muddy that was worth the investment.
    Give my best to Mike when you place your order.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Since you like the Breedlove, this just showed up in the classifieds.......

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/105388#105388

NFI
    Wow, I'd probably jump on this if I were StevenP.
    I own two Big Muddy models (Mid-Mo if you want to be technical), an M-2 and an M-11, and a Breedlove OO.

Reclines make a flatly that comes with Cumberland bridge (same builder). Fine instrument for the $. NFI

The used Breedlove in the classifieds wont last long if its still avail.--thats a steal, laminated body notwithstanding!
    What I think I have learned in almost 40 years of 8-stringing is the sound magic comes from the top--its material, thickness, carving, bracing. Plywood (to be crude but accurate) is just another choice of body material--not saying it doesnt affect the sound, or that rock-hard maple, or RW or mahogany or whatever, wont Be better, just that the change is minimal.
    Plywood body will certainly affect resale value though,so the used market is the place to pick them up.
    Martin flattops are nice instruments, and you can find them at reasonable prices (because they are not bluegrassers) and have the pleasure of that genuine vintage Martin look and feel for a small fraction of what you would pay for a Martin guitar of similar vintage.

I recently (about a month ago) bought a Breedlove Crossover OO NT from Folkmusician.com. It's the newer model with all solid woods. I like it very much. The neck is a bit wider than my Kentucky KM 150S, but that didn't really take very long to get used to. It's very comfortable to play, and the tone is very good. It has a lot more sustain than the Kentucky (which has f holes, if that makes a difference), and a deeper tone in the bass. A nice mandolin. Robert at Folkmusician.com was very helpful with this purchase, and they set the instrument up before it goes out, so it plays well right out of the box.

Jack

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Keep in mind a pancake will sound even more different because it is a flat top.

I have played some real nice pancakes.
    Thanks for that input!... I have watched several vids of Poe's Scout Mandolin which, IMO sounds quite nice, plus the price point of the flat tops is very appealing as well... been considering a Big Middy too, but it will be a while yet before I can afford one.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    I have watched several vids of Poe's Scout Mandolin which, IMO sounds quite nice
    I have owned several flattops -- a Mid-Missouri, Gypsy, Flatiron, and a pair of Redline Travelers -- but it was Andy's #60 Scout that got me off the fence and into a commission:

1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post: