Thread: Tulsi electric mandolin tuning query

Post Tulsi electric mandolin tuning query

Can the Tulsi electric mandolin (the same brand used by mandolin maestro U Shrinivas) be comfortably tuned to standard western tuning? A lot of people use Tulsi to play Carnatic style of music, which is played with a different tuning (lower notes compared to standard tuning). Has anybody who plays a Tulsi tuned it to CGDAE comfortably?

I'm looking forward to order one.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Default Re: Tulsi electric mandolin tuning query

The short answer is "yes." The long answer is that you may need to change strings to different gauges. I'm also wondering of the scale length, or distance between nut and bridge, are slightly different to accommodate the different tuning. At any rate, anything can be tuned to anything with the right strings, so the best bet is to go to emando.com (he's also a long-time contributor here) and look at how string chart to see the proper gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieshafer View Post
    The short answer is "yes." The long answer is that you may need to change strings to different gauges. I'm also wondering of the scale length, or distance between nut and bridge, are slightly different to accommodate the different tuning. At any rate, anything can be tuned to anything with the right strings, so the best bet is to go to emando.com (he's also a long-time contributor here) and look at how string chart to see the proper gauges.
    I spoke with the maker, gave him the string guages I got from emando.com and he said he can make it. I have ordered. Can't wait!!

Scale length numbers are a clue.. regular mandolin 14" about..

longer scale you need thinner strings and still they may have to be tight, (your E at pitch).. so buy extras for the planning on breaking some.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Scale length numbers are a clue.. regular mandolin 14" about..

longer scale you need thinner strings and still they may have to be tight, (your E at pitch).. so buy extras for the planning on breaking some.
    It'll be a regular scale mando. Yeah! I'll buy extras. If they too get finished, I'll find & use electric guitar strings with the same gauge. Gauge is very important!