Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: April Tune

A couple of Celtic tunes that are easily played on mandolin are:
    1. Over the Waterfall
    2. Whiskey Before Breakfast
    3. Arkansas Traveler( Americanized version of Irish tune)
    4. Cold Frosty Morning

Hope that helps with some suggestions

Harlan

NEVER MIND ME! *L* I was worried about getting it done by the end of the month because I thought we were about 10 days farther into the month than we actually were! More than that, 'cause I thought it was about the 18th around the end of last week! I have had to plan WAY too much stuff too far in advance lately; and since I already had as many plans for April as I typically have for the following month by 2/3 of the way thru the current one, I just assumed this was late March *LOL*

And I'm not even sure I put that in the right thread. I think I need a (and I don't do caffine, so that would NOT be coffee *LOL*). I should have gone out for a drink w/ the other folks from the PRSSA (school club) tonight! *j/k*

It's "Appalachia," (Apple-at-chuh), like I'm gunna throw an apple atcha' if you correct me again.

Cumberland Reel is a good and easy celtic tune in D and 6/8.

If we'd to do a jig, I really like Paddy Clancy's and Tar road to Sligo.
    I didn't know Arkansas traveler was an Irish tune!! What's the name of it originally?

Quote Originally Posted by (Nik-chick @ Mar. 08 2004, 20:56)
    Seriously, I'm having a hard time with Sally Goodin. I'm not sure I'll even be able to do it by the end of the month. Someone else was skipping the double stops. Coming up with harder things might need to be a couple songs away for those of us at the back of the class.

If you go too easy, the more advanced of the beginners can come up with a harder variation. If you go too hard, the less advanced beginners are SOL.
    Maybe I should have read through all replies before saying anything? I really agree with you. I thought 6/8 timing was impossible to play before I started really listening to jigs (I think I've said that somewhere). Let's stick with simple 4/4 tunes. It seems Cherokee shuffle is winning. That's great to me, I like that one. I've played it some but never really worked on it. It's a great tune to learn because it's very popular at the festival jams here. (Soon it's festival season! Tjohoo!)