Thread: Am I crazy?

Default Am I crazy?

I'm thinking of focusing solely on tenor guitar. I have a very nice PRS SE that I would be selling, as well as a beat-up cedar top acoustic. I have an Ibanez acoustic tenor and would be purchasing a Warren Ellis signature tenor.

How flexible is the single pickup? a lot of reviews speak solely of high gain music.
    Last edited by thx712517; Dec-19-2016 at 10:15am.

Default Re: Am I crazy?

I prefer versatility so avoid single pup instruments for that reason.

Nothing wrong with focusing on tenor, but keep in mind life is a long time and you may find your tastes change once again, so dumping instruments now may be a costly mistake later.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

After not playing my 6 string instruments for over a year and a half I sold my two 6 string electrics and one 6 string acoustic. I now play only tenor guitar and bass guitar. I have absolutely no regrets. A contributing factor was I was never very good at 6 string guitar, so factor that into your decision.

I have a Warren Ellis tenor guitar (dual humbucker) and I love it. The dual humbucker model (margarita green) is in the discontinued items and is selling for 30% off ($419.30). That's cheaper than the single pickup model ($529.00). Even though I only use the neck pickup, if you really want a single coil I would recommend spending the extra $70.00 and buying the two pickup version. You never know when you're going to join a heavy metal band and need that bridge pickup. :-)

One thing about all of the Warren Ellis tenors is the string spacing. At 15 mm between strings its very wide. I use mine for lead guitar work, so the wider string spacing is preferred. When I was using my telecaster with 10 mm string spacing I would now and then hit a wrong string. I never hit a wrong string with the Warren Ellis. The wider string spacing does make playing rhythm guitar a bit awkward. I use my Blueridge tenor guitar for rhythm guitar work. If you plan on using the Warren Ellis for rhythm guitar work you might want to consider the Warren Ellis 2P DLX model which has 10 mm spacing. It is expensive at $649.00 and has two humbuckers, so it might not meet your needs.

If you get a Warren Ellis tenor guitar and find the string spacing is too wide, another option is to replace the bridge with a Fender Duo Sonic bridge (just using the 4 inner saddles). That was my original plan but then I found out I liked the wider string spacing and never did it.

Good luck with you shopping decision. It is nice having so many options.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

4. The following members say thank you to Chip Stewart for this post:

I keep bouncing back and forth on what to do. I've got melody playing down with the tenor unlike with the normal guitar. Chords I know on the six string, haven't learned them yet on the tenor. Yesterday I was convinced I should sell off the six string stuff and go full tenor, even put a Warren Ellis tenor in my shopping cart on Eastwood but wussed out at the last second. Woke up today to an email from Eastwood with a 20% coupon.

Wife of course thinks it's madness. I bought my PRS last year, had different pickups installed. Got the acoustic tenor as an early Christmas present. It feels like going full tenor and selling off all the rest is the right thing to do but she just sees the lost money.

Well, it's a very personal thing, isn't it? I love tenor guitar - but I also love playing 6-string guitar, and make money from it playing for dances and in pubs and clubs. However, I also love putting together double-tracked or even triple-tracked (with bass) tunes for pleasure. So keeping all instruments is the only conceivable option for me.

There's some wise advice above about bearing in mind that, over time, tastes change, and you may regret later losing instruments that you wish you'd kept.

The problem I have with many things in my life is that I tend to back off and change direction when I'm on the edge of making a large jump forward in ability. I was getting better with six string guitar, then switched to violin. Two years later I lurched back to guitar. Dissatisfied with my six string ability and remembering my violin lessons, I thought about finding something like a violin with a fretted neck that played in a lower octave. That's how I stumbled on tenor guitars in the first place, and it's been going very well. I've noticed though that I've started diverting from the tenor and looking at new six string guitars online.

I'm going to put my six string electric out of sight. I ordered a new book with Beatles songs transcribed for violin. So we'll keep pushing along, but I won't sell my six string electric.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

I guess a lot of us are the same, I have more hobbies & directions than you can shake a stick at!
    I rarely dedicate enough time to individual pursuits to really master any, but, 'Hey' life is for living and you should do as you wish.