Thread: Cumberland Bridge on Gibson A Jr?

Default Cumberland Bridge on Gibson A Jr?

Hi All,

I have a recently acquired '21 Gibson Jr (which I purchased last summer) and absolutely love playing it. I play primarily fiddle tunes and old-time with some bluegrass too. I have really been enjoying this Jr!

But, I have been finding that the E string is harder to hear and to pull off clear volume (especially compared to the As). I am seeking advice on how to best bring up the volume of my Es and even out the sound while playing tunes across the strings. (My last mando was an Eastman 505 and I didn't have this issue- so I know it is not my hearing not registering the high E string notes-ha!)

I am curious if a new bridge would improve the sound/ make a big difference? I've seen great praise for Cumberland bridges on the Café....FYI: with the all-wood bridge, the action is low and comfortable across the strings but I wish I could get some more volume out of my E strings.

Since I am a one-instrument owner, and very happy with my Jr, I'd be willing to put in some modifications to the mando if necessary. Any and all advice/ insights/ experiences would be very welcome.

Thanks very much!

Default Re: Cumberland Bridge on Gibson A Jr?

I get more volume across the board with a one piece bridge on my old A-4. I don't know how important having an adjustable bridge is to you. I too have heard nothing but good things about CA bridges. It has been my experience that a good quality bridge, properly fitted, will improve almost any mandolin. Good luck. A jrs rock.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Too low of action on the treble side, high fret, pinching in the nut or saddle, could all cause the string to not be clear or as loud. Intonation that is out could also cause this. I would have it checked by someone that you may want to use to fit a new bridge should you want to go that way. If they can make this work all the better, if not you are already working with them should you decide to go with a different bridge.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks so much for the advice! Much Appreciated.

I'd up the e string from say .11 to .115. Might be all you need.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1