Thread: Members/Jams around Grand Forks, North Dakota

Mandolin Pickin Fool dawgmike94's Avatar

Default Members/Jams around Grand Forks, North Dakota

Hey all, I graduate college in the spring and will be headed to graduate school in the fall (English literature, if anyone's interested). One the places I seem to be leaning the heaviest towards is the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks, ND. I live in Southeastern KY right now, and have no idea if there is any kind of mandolin scene up in those cold and snowy parts. I don't know a soul up there. So is anyone on here from around there or have any idea if there's any mandolin-favorable music being played in the area? Bluegrass, old-time, or even some Celtic trad? I guess there's probably some folk or country players who would accept me and my eight-string, but I was wondering specifically if there is any group of pickers that would already be familiar with mandolin music. Anyway, thanks in advance for the input.
    Trying to get my hands to do what I hear in my head...
    -John Hartford

Default Re: Members/Jams around Grand Forks, North Dakota

I'm in that area right now - it's where my wife is from and we are here for a funeral. Really nice folks but I would consider the climate before making a decision on school. Winters are bitter. Summers are hot, muggy and buggy. Not a big bluegrass scene; pop country rules here. But with UND in Grand Forks and NDSU in Fargo there are a lot of college kids who may go for something different.

Mandolin Pickin Fool dawgmike94's Avatar

Default Re: Members/Jams around Grand Forks, North Dakota

Thanks for the info, Mandobart. I noticed a blizzard warning today for Western ND, safe to say winters would be a complete change from what I'm used to here in the Bluegrass, but I think the change would be interesting, to say the least. And there are no mountains and not many trees, from what I understand!! But I'm thinking of leaving the South, not because I don't like it or anything, I love it, but I'd like a fresh perspective on myself and how I understand myself in relation to my place in the world. So as far as music, I do hope that maybe a few folks I meet at school and in those circles will be familiar with at least some singer-songwriter stuff, and would be open to mandolin. But I'm sad to hear that there's not much of a BG presence. Oh well, I'll have to bring it with me, if I come. The decision will probably hinge on some more important factors anyhow -- $$$ and cents mostly. But thanks very much for the response.
    Trying to get my hands to do what I hear in my head...
    -John Hartford