Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What song, Album, Musician changed your perspective on music?

Default Re: What song, Album, Musician changed your perspective on music?

This is really a fun question to ponder. Let me start with bluegrass, my first love; it would be Old and In the Way's version of the Stones' "Wild Horses". Totally awesome, and a good reminder that there are a number of "non-bluegrass" songs that sound great as BG. Years ago I had an album by a group called The Travelers; they were BG, from Missouri I think. They did the Bee Gee's "To Love Somebody" and the Turtles' "Happy Together"; if that was the first time you'd ever heard those songs, you have sworn they were written for BG.

The song that made me want to learn to play guitar was Ricky Nelson's "Hello Mary Lou". The guitar break in the middle, which I believe was James Burton (not certain of that), hit me like a ton of bricks. I was probably 13 or 14 when that song first came out and I bought a guitar not long after. Staying in the rock genre, in my opinion there is no better album than Gerry Rafferty's "City to City". It has the oft-played "Baker Street", but some other real gems: "Whatever's Written in Your Heart", "The Ark", "Mattie's Rag". Danged great album!! As for jazz, what more needs to be said than Miles' KOB.

I have to mention two other albums. At age 74, I have settled in on Mandolin Orange's "This Side of Jordan" as my all-time favorite. Andrew is a fantastic writer and they are such a joy to listen to. I'll be interested to see how they fare as "Watchhouse"; quite well, I am sure. And now for the album that stunned and shocked me when I first heard it, which was around 1966. Robert Johnson, "King of the Delta Blues". Nothing like it, ever!!

Okay, I will have to add my favorite classical album. Herbert von Karajan and the Berliner Philharmonic's 1965 recording of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" on Deutsche Gramophone. Now you've got Old Dog Dave's faves!!

Every day is a gift. Sheila Lagrand's Avatar

Here's a laundry list. If I delved into hows and whys, this post would be ridiculously long.

Otis Redding
    Roy Clark
    Itzak Perlman
    Joni Mitchell
    The Kinks
    John Prine
    David Bowie
    Van Morrison
    Bonnie Raitt
    Hank Williams
    Tina Turner
    The Clash
    Chrissie Hynde
    The Proclaimers' first album, This is the Story
    Johnny Cash
    Don Julin
    Matt Flinner

I got my first speeding ticket to Led Zeppelin's Trampled Underfoot.
    Phoebe, my 2021 Collings MT mandolin
    Dolly, my 2021 Ibanez M522 mandolin
    Louise, my 193x SS Maxwell mandolin
    Fiona, My 2021 GSM guitar-bodied octave resonator mandolin
    Charlotte, my 2016 Eastman MDO 305 octave mandolin
    And Giuliana, my 2002 Hans Schuster 505 violin, Nehenehe, my 2021 Aklot concert ukulele,
    Annie, my 2022 Guild M-140 guitar, Joni, my 1963 Harmony 1215 Archtone archtop guitar,
    Yoko, my ca. 1963 Yamaha Dynamic No.15 guitar, and Rich, my 1959 husband.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Graffiti View Post
    What was that moment you heard something . . . and said "thats it, thats what I have been searching for"
    Ring Dang Doo. But I still haven't found it.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

The "Ode to Joy" in Beethoven's Ninth. In the first 20 years or so of my life, I heard it many times, but I didn't notice -- either because I was listening lazily, or because the versions I heard had been rearranged and did it wrong -- the critical point when the A melody returns in the fourth "line", after the B melody in the third line. I had the misconception that the first note is played on the first beat of the first bar of the "line". Which would be "normal" for a song.

At some point in my early 20s, I was listening to a proper orchestral performance, but not really concentrating. And of course, they played it as written, playing the first note of the fourth "line" on the fourth beat of the last bar of the THIRD "line". This time, I heard it.

I practically fell out of my chair. I felt as if Beethoven had leaped out of his grave, grabbed by the throat, slapped me across the face, and yelled "LISTEN to what I'm trying to tell you, IDIOT!!!"