Thread: France & The UK

Default France & The UK

Hi all,

I joined here about a year ago but have only started lurking a bit more recently as I've a new-found love for the mandolin. I've played Irish traditional music on tenor banjo and mandolin for many years and am well versed in that tradition but have lately been delving into Bluegrass and country music for a new challenge. I'm excited to broaden my musical horizons.

Anyway, from December 28th for about 1 week I'll be driving from my homeplace of Dublin, Ireland to France (Cherbourg), across to Paris, up to Calais and into the UK. My journey will then take my all the way up to Scotland before taking the ferry home from there. If any of you have any suggestions of sessions, jams, gigs or even good music shops and markets happening in any places on or near to my route I would be delighted to hear them. I'm a pretty free agent in regards to my plans as I'm 'following my nose' and have not booked any return ships yet.

Thanks again,

Patrick Cummins

Default Re: France & The UK

Hi Patrick

If you make it as far as Inverness, take a pint or dram or two at Hootananny: not usually a free-for-all session, but some cracking good live traditional music. Well worth a visit. http://www.hootanannyinverness.co.uk/
    "To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable". Beethoven

Eastman MD404
    Angara e D'Isanto 1895 Bowlback
    Eastman MD505 CC
    Paul Hathway Mandocello
    Bucketful of picks...still looking for the Magic one 🦄

If you make it to Aberdeen this site has a list of current sessions and folk clubs in the area:
    https://aberdeentrad.com/

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There are various traditional music sessions happening in East Kent, around Faversham and Canterbury. The problem is that I'm not sure whether they are all happening over the holiday period. I do know that there is a session of mostly English trad plus some Irish in the Two Smoking Barrels in Sturry, north of Canterbury, on the evening of 28 December. But that may be too soon for you. There used to be more advanced regular Thursday evening sessions at the Canterbury Tales pub in Canterbury and the Crown in Faversham. If the timing is right for you, you may want to call ahead to ask whether they are on.

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

While you're down the southern end of the UK you might want to consider a visit to TAMCO in Brighton - probably the best selection of hand made mandolins (and guitars) outside the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hutchinson View Post
    While you're down the southern end of the UK you might want to consider a visit to TAMCO in Brighton - probably the best selection of hand made mandolins (and guitars) outside the USA.
    That is definitely on my list already!

Hi Patrick,

Looking forward to meeting you. I am open 11 to 6 tues to sat.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Paahto View Post
    Hi all,

I joined here about a year ago but have only started lurking a bit more recently as I've a new-found love for the mandolin. I've played Irish traditional music on tenor banjo and mandolin for many years and am well versed in that tradition but have lately been delving into Bluegrass and country music for a new challenge. I'm excited to broaden my musical horizons.

Anyway, from December 28th for about 1 week I'll be driving from my homeplace of Dublin, Ireland to France (Cherbourg), across to Paris, up to Calais and into the UK. My journey will then take my all the way up to Scotland before taking the ferry home from there. If any of you have any suggestions of sessions, jams, gigs or even good music shops and markets happening in any places on or near to my route I would be delighted to hear them. I'm a pretty free agent in regards to my plans as I'm 'following my nose' and have not booked any return ships yet.

Thanks again,

Patrick Cummins
    Patrick

You would be welcome to sit in on one of our rehearsals if you happen to be in Northumberland during your travels. We play acoustic Americana (3 chords and the truth...sometimes 4) and if you like singing as well you'd find it fun.

Drop me a PM if you like and I can organise the rehearsal to fit your plans.

Keith
    Northfield NF5S
    2001 Flatiron Festival
    Epiphone MM-50
    Guild D55
    National Style 0
    1987 Gibson 335
    60th Anniversary Strat

Visit TAMCO if you can, did it today, was on my list for a few years already (although it unfortunately wasn't a real warm welcome), the sight of all this beautifull mandolins hanging there together is worth it.

Sorry Phil, I have a bad cold and am in the middle of my stock take.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.