Thread: 5 years and counting...

Default 5 years and counting...

This January marks my 5th year of playing the mandolin. Like many here, I'd been playing guitars for decades, but as my interest in playing country and bluegrass guitar grew, the urge to try playing the mandolin started to germinate - I blame Banjo Ben!

It's been a great journey - not without its frustrations in the early days, but great nevertheless.

First mandolin (which I kept for less than 2 weeks and demanded a refund due to it falling apart) was a Savannah. Next was a Kentucky 160 which is still in my extended family. Then an Eastman 505 which served me very well for 3 years before I happened to play a Northfield F5S and decided I needed one!

Thanks to all those on the cafe who have read, contributed to, advised (and even disagreed with) my questions, thoughts and musings. Mandolin is a great instrument and this is a fantastic online community and resource.

Have a great 2017.

Cheers

Johnny

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Johnny60 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 5 years and counting...

And how did you just "happen to play" a Northfield?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

4. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Hi Brick,

I walked into a local music store and they'd just got one in. I sat down and played it and it was just perfect. The neck shape, fretboard width, everything was ergonomically perfect for my hands. It just felt "right". And the build quality and sound were gorgeous too. Sadly, it was just after Christmas, funds were tight and I had to walk away. That particular instrument was sold a couple of days later.

However, I knew I had to have one! A few months later the same store took delivery of 5 Northfield F5S's. So I took them all for a thorough test drive and bought the one that spoke to me. The store gave a really good discount and I sold my Eastman 505 and a guitar to fund the purchase. It gets played virtually every day.

Johnny60......it sounds as though you may have developed a case of MAS. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning. Keep having fun with your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Gies View Post
    Johnny60......it sounds as though you may have developed a case of MAS. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning. Keep having fun with your journey.
    Better to buy 2mandolins and have fun pickin.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Gies View Post
    Four mandolins in five years? Shoot, I had that many within the first three months, and month four brought a fifth mandolin that cost as much as the other four combined!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

9. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Thanks Johnny60 and Happy New Year to you as well.

I bought an Eastman 505 back in March of 2016. Now I will know better than to play a Northfield if I run into one somewhere! Have to stay away from areas where I might catch MAS!